Tire chains..... annnnnd go!

northshorehenry said:
Took the FWC up a retired but maintained forestry road with snow. The road report by the ski club that maintains it called for mandatory chains. Boy, am I glad I decided to try the chains on the new truck (chains that I owned from the previous truck). Soooooo.....I found out while I am still in my driveway that my previous tires were 31.5" and the new truck has 33". :) Happy to realize I have 33s but sad to realize I have to replace my chains.

Sooo....now that I have a one ton plus the camper on the back. I am thinking I would like a more robust chain. Although I like the idea of v-bar chains, they are not class "s" rated so I think I will skip them. I am assuming that cable Z chains are not robust enough for my one ton plus FWC on the back. So that leaves me with ladder chains. I am narrowing it down to non-twisted, cam-ed, ladder chains.

What are your experiences so far?
PEWAG.com, they make every type of chain and can direct you if nothing else.
Happy trails..

dasadab said:
That's the chains I had on my 3/4 ton without a camper and it worked fine. In fact, I still have them and am trying to sell them because my new tires are too big for them. :)

It is that time of the season again... Snow and snow traction aids... CHAINS. Lets talk about it again this season

Brought this post to life just to show some of the comments were addressed before if somebody wants to read them.

But my question is has anybody tried Les Schwab quick fit chains that have the diamond pattern?? Have they held up with use? Something better for my Dodge?

https://www.lesschwab.com/more/tire-chains

Now that I have the Dodge Ram 2500 with flatbed Hawk my gal wants to make trips down to Mono Lake for photographic possibilities. As you know the CHP will require you with a 4X4 that has snow rated tires to carry chains.

I think there is another post regarding chains and will look for it.

As a side note, the tire size for my Dodge Ram just happens to be the same for my 2005 Toyota 4 Runner. A win - win that I can transfer them to either vehicle.

I have lived in Tahoe for over 20 years, CHP has never asked to see my chains. If 4WD and chains required, ie R3, stay at home. If it changes while out, go slow and get home.

I have noticed, last year, a new trend where CHP/caltrans disallows cable type chains, they kind of suck any ways, and only allows ladder chains, ie metal link chains, old school.

Thanks for your comments. I have not used chains since buying all-wheel drive vehicles. At the moment I do not own chains that fit our current vehicles.

When you say ..."a new trend where CHP/caltrans disallows cable type chains, they kind of suck any ways, and only allows ladder chains, ie metal link chains, old school."...

I would consider the diamond pattern with the quick fit style chains a ladder style, agree?

Buying chains and carrying them in the vehicle is more for when I'm out 120 miles from home and are caught in a unexpected, un- planned snow even and just want to get somewhere or get home.

I think any kind of chain that has actual links as opposed to cables is going to be much better than nothing. They can be a PITA to put on but I can't imagine traveling in snow country, especially with the camper, without them. I carry them year round, I've used them several times in the summer to walk right out of mud. They're some of the best backcountry insurance you can carry.

Living in snow country, I don't get this fascination with chains. Good snow tires OR chains is what is required by the RCMP on our Northern highways and passes.

In certain areas, you are required by law to carry chains or have traction tires (as defined in statute). It is illegal to operate a vehicle on some roadways, during certain parts of the year, without at least having them on/in the vehicle. Tire chains are much less expensive than having two sets of tires/wheels, or paying someone to mount snow tires every year.

According to the CHP page, cable chains are still okay, sometimes.

Are cable chains permitted?
Usually. They are permitted for passenger cars and light trucks under virtually all conditions. Cables are not as effective as link-type chain under severe conditions at higher elevations and steep grades for “big-rigs” and may not be permitted depending on local conditions as determined by Caltrans. Whenever chain controls are posted over Donner Pass on Interstate 80, heavy trucks are usually required to have link-type chain on at least the main drive axle.
So, even though I have no intention of using them I'll toss them in just in the rare case they ever ask. My personal experience has been they glance at you and if you are 4x4 and have some kind mud and snow or all terrain tire they wave you on.

And yeah, if its R3 conditions I'm staying home (or waiting it out if I'm on the road).

Stopped in at my local Les Schwab tire store. I looked at their quick fit chains that have the diamond pattern. The on on display had a very thin gauge chain and would not pass in my books as a chain. I asked about them and was told the one I was looking at had a 2 mm thickness, but the one for my truck had 4.5 mm for the thickness of the link. Much better!.

They pulled one from the back for my size and looked it over and it seemed reasonable, but not nearly big and stout as the traditional ladder style as I'm used to using. My size for tire size LT 265/70/R17 and cost $145.00 a pair.

Vic Harder said:
Living in snow country, I don't get this fascination with chains. Good snow tires OR chains is what is required by the RCMP on our Northern highways and passes.
It's more of a reality than a fascination in my opinion. Good snow tires help but they are nowhere near as effective as good chains especially if you venture off major roadways occasionally.

Using ladder chains I have had for 25 years when they cost 14.95 (on sale) 3/4 ton 95 Dodge Ram. I keep them in the original canvas bag with gloves.

...after the original bags deteriorate, you can find a 2 1/2 gallon bucket with the screw-on lid to keep them in. It has a nice handle on it to make carrying easier and the ones I get when buying round chlorine biscuits for the pool even come with those dessicant packages. You can just remove them on a nice hot day, let the chains warm up and any moisture evaporate, dry off the dessicants in the oven and reseal the bucket.

pvstoy said:
... The on on display had a very thin gauge chain and would not pass in my books as a chain. I asked about them and was told the one I was looking at had a 2 mm thickness, ...
That is ridiculous. That's like the chain used to hang florescent strip lighting.

But, if it was cheap, and could pass CHP for compliance ... :ninja:

klahanie said:
That is ridiculous. That's like the chain used to hang florescent strip lighting.

But, if it was cheap, and could pass CHP for compliance ... :ninja:
That one was on a smaller tire on display. The one for my size is 4.5 mm thick. But yes the one I saw on display I would not want that thin gauge on my wife's car.

PackRat said:
...after the original bags deteriorate, you can find a 2 1/2 gallon bucket with the screw-on lid to keep them in. It has a nice handle on it to make carrying easier and the ones I get when buying round chlorine biscuits for the pool even come with those dessicant packages. You can just remove them on a nice hot day, let the chains warm up and any moisture evaporate, dry off the dessicants in the oven and reseal the bucket.
Thats a good idea gotta get the pool lol in SF Pools are for the VERY RICH, but I do have a very rich friend.

Ok, I looked around the internet for diamond pattern chains. Most all have alloy links and pretty thin. Found company Quality Chains and they supply Les Schwabs with the thinner models. They also offer a stouter version in a 5.5 mm thickness with a more traditional rubber tighter.

https://www.qualitychaincorp.com/2521q-light-truck-diamond-back-square-link-rubber-adjuster-style-0

On their web page they also sell through Auto Zone, well I went down and ordered 2 sets and will see what they look like. I would rather have a more robust, thicker chain than a lighter weight chain. The next one down has 3.7 mm thickness and sure that is what Les Schwab is accurately selling.

Back
Top Bottom