Tires- again

BFG AT ... Great tire

I've been running BFG AT's on my 02 Tundra ever since I dumped the factory dogs...

I love them. I have 80+K miles and am just on my second set. The first set lasted 60K miles. I replace the factory Bilsteins with real ones with a spring over in the front to make the truck ride level. In the rear, along with the Bilsteins I have Roadmasters http://www.activesuspension.com/ ... these are incredible. I've had them for over two years on and off road with ZERO problems.

They keep the back from bottoming out... and there is no sway.

Good Luck... Clark

When I used my GPS to calibrate the MPH diff I remembered what my 1rst jump instructor (an old brown boot army MSgt) told me.

What did he tell you?

some mods to my rig

So here's some pics of my Tundra after some lifting:
DSC01292.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

This has the Bilstein 5100s on the front on the lowest setting. That gave 5/8" lift. I put Total Chaos shackles on the rear, which gave 3/4" lift. Switched to Michelin LTX AT2 E-rated tires in 275/70/18. I expected to get about .6" lift from those, but got about 7/8-1". I think it was because the new tires are stiffer and don't "bulge" as much as the stock rugged craps. In total, I got 1.75" in the back and 1 5/8" in the front. Keep in mind there is about 300# of weight in the back in this pic. The rake should be almost stock without it. The first pic is taken from eye level, the second from about door handle height to show the clearance.

I'm really happy about this setup. Now it looks a little higher, has more clearance and still handles great. Instead of the E rated tires being like concrete, I can't tell they are E rated (running 40psi). In fact, they feel better than the stock tires (is that possible?).

Now possibly for some nerf bars (although I'd prefer sliders, but they are too $$$ and I'm not welding anything to the frame).

Looks good Brett. Looking to get some new tires this week myself.

So, what shoes you planning on getting, DD? I went with the Michelins because I was afraid the BFGs would be too noisy and we do a lot of non-camper 4.5hr highway drives too. No complaints so far.

So, what shoes you planning on getting, DD? I went with the Michelins because I was afraid the BFGs would be too noisy and we do a lot of non-camper 4.5hr highway drives too. No complaints so far.

Based on good feedback from WTW peeps, I ordered the BFG At's. Should have a truck report by the end of the week on a few mods I've had done.

No worries with these tires

Last month bought a 2005 4 Runner and put on a set of BFG All Terrians E-rated. They are smooth and quiet.

I'm about to put AT's on the Casita trailer also...

Tire Pressure

...If you are changing tire size then you should determine the proper air pressure for your load. Do this on a cool morning and when the tires are not hot. Sidewall reads ## PSI Cold. Vechical facing a flat straight surface, put a chalk line across the tires. Drive straight enough that the chalk is starting to wear off, couple hundred feet?

Look at the how the chalk is wearing off. Wearing off in the middle, too much pressure. Wearing off on the outside, too little pressure. Re adjust pressure, place new chalk line and try it again. Works best if you start with an over inflated tire and let air out as you go.

Once you have the pressure for empty and loaded camper, record them. These are the values for you new non stock wheel and tire combination.

Patrick,

This is a really great practical tool...I've always wondered how much air we need at different loadings and have only been able to try reading the tire wear to adjust up or down pretty much "in the dark".

It seems like it would make sense (to me at least) to do this test at normal operating temperature, after the tire has been driven for awhile, so that the tread is flat across at the temperature it receives the most wear, then let it cool and take the pressure??

Thanks,
'birds

I have to throw my vote in for the Bridgestone Dueller REVO. Best tire I have ever had. I like the BFG in everything but heavy rain. Look at the tread pattern & you see the water has no where to get out. Tire Rack is a great place to read tire reviews & ratings.

Back
Top Bottom