Top loading fridge/freezer

Jim49

Advanced Member
I am wondering how people are wiring there top loading fridge in their campers, cigarette 12v plug, direct, or?? I have a hawk shell and Engel 45 that i am pretty sure I want to direct wire. Thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

My Truckfridge 51 is wired to it's own circuit in my blue sea 12V fuse panel. 120AC (priority when AC present) is wired to it's own circuit so operates on AC whenever I have the camper plugged into AC - for precooling when packing the camper.

I would not use the cigarette plug, it is not the right tool for the job. Wire that fridge directly and with a good gauge wire, 8 or 10 depending on the length of run, to get the most voltage to your fridge. I know it only draws 4 or 5 amps but I am a believer in over rating my wire and I want all my volts to get there :) YMMV

That one was easy. FWC left the wiring sitting behind the old ice box and I was more than happy to use it. Not only is the plug likely small ga wire, its way to easy to accidentally unplug and thats one thing you don't want have happen.

I have a Truckfridge 51. I picked up a spare 12v cord. Then cut off the lighter plug. I replaced it with a 50 amp Anderson
powerpole. i ran 8 gauge battery cable with the other side of the connector from a pair of marine terminal posts connected to the battery. The whole thing is charged by solar.

The circuit is breaker protected.

Lighter plugs are worthless connectors.

Wow Squatch, a 50 Amp connector for a truck fridge. I thought I was bad....lol I'm using a 30 amp on mine :)

ARB makes a nice scew lock plug socket kit. You direct wire the socket and mount it in your camper. The plug consists of a cig lighter adapter that comes apart revealing a pair of small prongs. When you use the screw lock it is a very positive and secure connection. You have the advantage of a good connection plus the ability to remove the fridge easily. Perhaps you could cut the wire of the cig lighter/screw lock prong and split it into your cord?

IMG_1036.JPG

Happyjax said:
Wow Squatch, a 50 Amp connector for a truck fridge. I thought I was bad....lol I'm using a 30 amp on mine :)
Yep it's overkill. My fridge draws 2.5 amps on ECO. LOL. But all my connectors are the SB50's. Not really that big but easy to handle with gloves on if needed. This also gives me a place to plug anything that needs 12 volt power such as my compressor which needs a higher amp draw. With the larger wire and connector voltage drop is irrelevant.

Everything is color coded.

Red is truck to camper battery.

Orange is solar in to charge controller.

Blue is 12 volt out for fridge or other uses. I have one inside and one outside the camper.

Nice thing is they make sleeves that allow you to use 12 or 16 gauge wiring in the normal 6 gauge crimp fittings for these connectors.

Easier for me. One size connector to stock. One size weather boot and cover. Just different crimps.

I tried using my fridge with the lighter plug in the 12 volt outlet panel in the camper. It works but the crappy connection makes for enough voltage drop on startup that I had to put the voltage cutoff switch on the fridge in the 2nd position. In the higher voltage 1st position I got a low voltage error code on the fridge. I still have a spare lighter plug cable for using the fridge elsewhere if needed.

Got my Anderson stuff from here.
Anderson Power Products SB50 SB Series 50 Amp Connector Kit

Great prices on marine wire here.
Marine Wire

I did not initially think about wiring it to the fuse box but I see some have. So for us non electrical types how does one go about this with a blue sea fuse box?

Thanks

DaveS. said:
I am wondering how people are wiring there top loading fridge in their campers, cigarette 12v plug, direct, or?? I have a hawk shell and Engel 45 that i am pretty sure I want to direct wire. Thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
Engle makes a plug socket too, or at least they used to. I used one to wire my Engle 45 in the back of my FJ.

We run our Engle MT35 through a dedicated 10 gauge wire with a 10 amp fuse. We still use 12v accessory port and the heavy duty plug that came with the Engle. We have been running the fridge that way since 2013 with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom