Topper window question

pikabike

My A.R.E. topper's fold-down front slider window incorporates a thin foam gasket attached to the topper. When the window is closed and latched shut, it compresses this foam to seal out water.

The last time I tried to fold down the window, it was stuck shut. I waited until the truck had sat in a cold garage overnight and tried again. This time, it opened, but bits of the foam stuck to the window's metal edge rather than sitting cleanly on the topper.

I am trying to find out what replacing the gasket requires. The closest A.R.E. dealer is checking whether the part can be obtained. Meanwhile, I am asking if anybody here has replaced this item? What did you use to scrape off the old foam, and what did you use to clean the surface where there must be some residual adhesive? Also, did you do the work with the topper in place on the truckbed?

I haven't done this exact thing before. But for what it's worth. Those new style seals are called bulb seals. I'm sure it can be had aftermarket by the foot if you have to. But I had an ARE cap. My LED brake light gave up within the 1st year. ARE sent the dealer a new one quickly no questions asked. If the dealer can't get it I would try calling ARE myself.

Acetone usually works well on weather strip adhesive. Most parts stores carry "gorilla snot". 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Good stuff.

Thanks, Squatch. The dealer called me with info from the A.R.E. contact: they sell replacement gasket by the foot, $7.80 per foot, and the job requires 12 feet. That's almost $100 for some cheap thin foam that would have to be cut and spliced to form the radiused-corner rectangle. I can do better by ordering similar foam gasketing from another source, at about 1/4 the cost.

Am thinking that a silicone-based material would better retain its pliability and integrity under both hot and cold conditions. I just need to find out what thickness to use, and what adhesives are safe with it. The bulb seals don't appear to be a good fit for this application.

Back
Top Bottom