toying with the idea of truck camper

coguzzi

Advanced Member
im toying with the idea of moving from my ford 4x4 diesel E350 pop up camper van (think build your own sportsmobile) to a truck camper into the 02 toyota tundra access cab i already own.

i spent quite a bit of time today at rocky mountain four wheel campers (local to me), gotta admit im pretty sold on a hawk model and came home and crunched some numbers with the options i want. fantistic facility and Chris is excellent BTW, spent all afternoon with me. i also realized with used prices i might as well just order new and build exactly what i want (still watching classifieds though)

then i looked at all terrian camper website and see i can get almost the same camper for slightly less, but in CA so i cant go set a foot in one to see what i do or dont like. for example, i liked the hawk over the eagle FWC just because the entry door is larger and easier to get in, something i never would have known without seeing one first hand. ill probably have to pay shipping on either brand no matter what, even though i do have a local FWC dealer the camper is still made in CA

then now i started looking at Phoenix, local to me also. but seems there may be a weight penalty which is verified by research, but may also just be more realistic in the actual claimed weight. they certainly look heavier and bulkier though.

so, opinions?

also off-road structural integrity is high on my list, ruled out some of the more readily available popups since i see them falling apart easy on CO trails

To be honest, my first thought is wondering why you want to make the move. Don't get me wrong, we are happy with our truck/camper combo and would do it again if we had to. But an advantage over us the Sportsmobiles have is being able to unclip and pop the top without going outside. This only makes a difference in bad weather. Otherwise, the two styles of camping and vehicle capabilities are pretty similar.

That said, we had our 2003 Hawk on a 2000 Tundra for eight years. I definitely would not install anything heavier than it. Sounds like the extra cost of delivery for an ATC would make the choice between it and a FWC pretty much a wash. FWC offers some options ATC does not. If you don't need any of those options, it is just a matter of which company you want to do business with.

Welcome to Wander the West.
If you were to have a warranty issue, or wanted some work done later (and didn't want to do it yourself) it would be nice not to have to travel to CA to deal with it. That's the only reason I can think of to choose FWC over ATC. They are very similar campers.

And, I second Ted. Why are you wanting to get rid of what sounds like a sweet rig? Just curious...

Unless I'm mistaken, the people that own ATC use to own or be some way affiliated with FWC hence the similarity in design. I think you'll find FWC has steadily improved fit, function, and design since Tom purchased them. We briefly considered ATC but realized FWC provided more of what we were looking for. Also considered Northstar, Phoenix, and I believe most if not all the other pop-ups. We picked our Grandby Silver Spur up the Friday before Christmas and headed out in it the day after Christmas and can't wait to go out again which will probably be in a couple of weeks. I have some pictures of it up on WTW. Most every one I've spoken with loves theirs and there are a lot of old ones still on the road and being refurbished. I'm probably biased at this point, but Don't think you'd be disappointed if you got one.

The finalists for me were the FWC and ATC. Both great campers.

I went with the FWC because:
Local sales and service
Single panel roof
Roll over couch system
No exterior window flaps
New radius door design (the only major failure I had on my previous 20 year old Grandby was the door)

I wasn't all that impressed with the Phoenix but compare all the major brands at the Denver Sportsman Show in a couple weeks.
Happy hunting.

ha, it would seem i am going backwards doesnt it, from a full on diesel 4x4 pop top camper van to more "cozy" accommodations. there are a couple reasons, one being simplifying my life and going from 3 vehicles to 2 (at least in the car department, im a motorcycle guy at heart). another being cost of ownership, ford e350 diesel maintenance is high and high priced. another reason is just being over the top. I have always had VW Vanagon syncros (4x4 vw vans), 5 of them in fact, that i did several different motor conversions on looking for the sweet spot, last being an awesome subaru 6 cyl. I always loved working on them and considered it a hobby. a 1 ton van is not fun to work on at all, everything is big enough it will hurt you and your tools are never heavy duty enough etc. i find myself paying to have work done which translates into a vehicle i dont know every bolt on nor would i want to work on when on the road. i have no problems working on my Tundra, even though its needed zero work other than maintenance. another reason is just sheer size, i was able to get the syncros where ever i wanted and were nimble. 1 ton ford van (even the regular body i have) is big and just dont fit some places, and a man is it heavy when you do get in trouble. You really feel that weight all the time. I'm thinkin a tundra/FWC package will get back my nimbleness in the back country. That said, i will miss the ability to put motoX bikes inside the van and being totally self contained which was the entire concept to begin with.

Anyway, thank you for all the responses so far, great info and keep them coming. i hope i can see a phoenix in person, but i still think FWC and ATC are still my top contendors

ha, it would seem i am going backwards doesnt it, from a full on diesel 4x4 pop top camper van to more "cozy" accommodations. there are a couple reasons, one being simplifying my life and going from 3 vehicles to 2 (at least in the car department, im a motorcycle guy at heart). another being cost of ownership, ford e350 diesel maintenance is high and high priced. another reason is just being over the top. I have always had VW Vanagon syncros (4x4 vw vans), 5 of them in fact, that i did several different motor conversions on looking for the sweet spot, last being an awesome subaru 6 cyl. I always loved working on them and considered it a hobby. a 1 ton van is not fun to work on at all, everything is big enough it will hurt you and your tools are never heavy duty enough etc. i find myself paying to have work done which translates into a vehicle i dont know every bolt on nor would i want to work on when on the road. i have no problems working on my Tundra, even though its needed zero work other than maintenance. another reason is just sheer size, i was able to get the syncros where ever i wanted and were nimble. 1 ton ford van (even the regular body i have) is big and just dont fit some places, and a man is it heavy when you do get in trouble. You really feel that weight all the time. I'm thinkin a tundra/FWC package will get back my nimbleness in the back country. That said, i will miss the ability to put motoX bikes inside the van and being totally self contained which was the entire concept to begin with.

Anyway, thank you for all the responses so far, great info and keep them coming. i hope i can see a phoenix in person, but i still think FWC and ATC are still my top contendors

Interesting thought process, I'll add my 2cents. I've always lusted after a sportsmobile, was never, nor IS in our budget. After searching long and hard for a used FWC Hawk that was local enough and had the features we wanted we pulled the trigger and ordered our brand new 2011 Hawk from FWC in CA. Accepted delivery 04/2011 and have since spent over 80 nights in it. We built it with the dinet, big 3-way fridge, furnace...no hot water, shower, solar. Since, we've added a second battery in parallel.

Overall we love it, it's everything we thought it would be and it's PERFECT for two adults both being of fit size and stature, along with our 40lbs dog. Things get a little cramped, trying to get dressed, make breakfast, dishes etc...it's really one at a time endeavors. Hanging out playing cards, drinking wine...we're happy as can be. For bigger people I think it would be a NO-GO in a FWC. I wish there were more storage...ie like the Phoenix under bed storage...that would be ideal and if we were to ever need to replace our camper I would give Phoenix a look for that alone. I have three friends that have sportsmobiles, I think in relation to storage they have a little more, and hang out space is maybe in the sportsmobile's favor slightly. They can definitely stealth camp better and more comfortably than we can. It's also a PITA always moving gear around the camper, having to unload stuff off the bed to drop the roof, then having to move stuff(bedding & bags) back up to the bed so we can sit and move around below, then it's bed time and things need to be moved back off the bed down low so we can go to bed. I feel like we're always shuffling.

One benefit to me going with the truck & camper over a van was that we still had a useable vehicle for hauling wood, Home Depot runs, daily driver etc...when the camper is off. So we really only have the camper on when we're going to be using it or have a date in the near future we're going to use it we'll leave it on. I don't love driving around with it on for weeks at a time when we're not using it; wear and tear on both camper and truck and a pain not having the bed for stuff. It's not difficult putting the camper on and off but for a short one-night it's kind of a PITA, so unless it's on, we tend not to do short one & two nighters which is a bummer. Ideally for us I want a third vehicle; wife's Subaru commuter, truck with camper loaded full time and a car or small pickup for my daily driver. That way camper is always ready to go and yet I'm not lugging the thing around all the time when not being used.

We have a Nissan Titan(similar to Tundra in payload size, etc) that I needed to beef up. I went the route of adding a Super Spring, it's ok but needed more so I added a rubber bump stop from Super Springs kind of like a Timbren...if I could do it over again I would do a custom spring pack from someone like Alcan.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the truck camper combo, but ideally when the time comes to replace the truck we'll go with a 3/4 ton for the load carrying capacity, bigger tranny, brakes, etc. The posted camper weights are BS, most Hawks moderately outfitted seem to be weighing in around the 1100-1200 LBS range based on what I've seen members posting on this forum. So....in my opinion, some day when you're Tundra gets tired you might find yourself right back in the same dilemma, moving up to a 3/4 ton vehicle, with similar weights and associated "issues" you're trying to get away from with the van. That being said there are a lot of Tundras with Hawks. You will find a lot of people saying they don't think it's enough truck, you'll also get a lot of folks saying it's fine.

Just my experiences and opinions. Overall we love the camper and it works well for our needs. We understand every camper(pop up or hard side), van, tent trailer, hard side trailer, diesel pusher, etc have their pros and cons. The FWC works for us and our current needs and we love owning and using it.

Good luck and I look forward to following along as you decide what works best for you. Cheers!

Thank you LT Traveler

that was a most excellent response. trust me, i thought the "build your own sportsmobile" would be the end all for me coming from the VW syncro westfalias i knew and still love very much. i do find it 100% over the top and to much, let alone the sheer size and not feeling comfortable taking it some places because of. but i gotta admit that i have a bitter taste in my mouth with Ford over this thing, its proven to not be very reliable and to the point where my wife does not trust it anymore. Ironically i think i have it to the point now where i have addressed every system and have a good feeling about it, but karma is wore out for the wife.

I toyed with the idea of going back the VW syncro world since the community is awesome and i miss that (hopefully truck campers has a good community going, which it does seem to) and that i just love the platform and still enjoy working on them. motor conversions are fun. BUT, the wife also can never get used to VW shifting, made even worse in a rear engine vehicle (sloppy). i have had 20+ VWs in my life and am used to it. she is worried about the day i might get hurt when in the outback and she cant get us out.

that said, not sure if there are any 3/4 ton offerings i ever see myself in, so i bet my next truck will be a newer tundra. always had good luck with any toyota i have had.

for sure we will be tighter in no matter what truck camper we choose, luckily we are small people--haha. we actually felt real good in the Hawk we spent time in, and felt right at home actually. lack of pass through will be missed for the shuffling reasons you commented on. my stuff always went to the front seats and out of the way. as well as missing pass through for comfort of the dogs or taking a nap while on the road (for the passenger). Ironically i have wanted a truck camper since i was a kid, so might as well give it a shot.

that said, i am intrigued by the phoenix underbed storage as well, for some reason every pic i have looked at of a phoenix, it seems like i see sagging in the body after time which could just be optical, so i worry about structural integrity. i want to go see one in person, but there hours never work for me. i am really leaning toward FWC i think at this point

I think your on the right track..replaced my Eurovan camper with an Eagle. I never really missed the Eurovan, before that I had a Vanagon camper..really like not having to maintain another vehicle and pay for registration and insurance.
Like you said it simplifies things and is much cheaper but you still have a great camping vehicle ready to go when you arrive at your destination.
I'm now running with a Hawk on a f150 which is also my DD. In the perfect world I would prefer the Hawk being mounted on a F250 and will probably do that once I dont use a truck for commuting. Fyi they now weigh all their campers at FWC right before they mount them. And once you start adding stuff they weigh a lot more then you think...a Hawk can weigh 1500lbs dry with all the accessories. Although the f150 handles the Hawk great.

lots of good replies here. As a former sportsmobile and westy (several) owner also, I tend to think along similar lines as coguzzi. I've also owned a tent trailer, several scamps, etc. Pretty much every configuration going at some point in time or another.

Sportsmobiles are plush and convenient - everything rolled into one package. But they suck to work on, insurance is pricey, r/r on some of the camper systems can be complicated and unnecessarily expensive, parts are tough to find in rural areas, the gas mileage sucks, and unless you're on a road trip they're basically useless (around town, daily driving, hauling, etc.) Not to mention they draw a ton of attention everywhere you go. It also handled terribly in snow/ice conditions.

You most definitely give up some of those comforts with a truck camper, but gain a world of simplicity and utility. I bought my first truck camper about 8 years ago and couldn't see switching back unless I were full timing in it or money were no object.

I've been tempted to try a syncro westy particularly with a subaru conversion, but I still couldn't even haul a sheet of plywood without a truck anyways. I would not recommend a Phoenix as I find their quality and construction leaves a lot to be desired. It is a "recreational" camper that will not withstand off road abuse for very long. I do think their roof lifting system is pretty cool, but then again - if one of those mechanical parts fails when you are 1,000 miles from home what will you do?

There are advantages/drawbacks with any camper configuration, you just need to figure out which setup leaves you with the fewest compromises for your needs and go from there. I think you are definitely on the right track.

And in fairness - the drawbacks I've found with FWC ownership?

risk of damage to truck and/or camper exists everytime you take the camper on/off (which is not often, but still..)
no pass-thru
storage capacity is minimal, so you've gotta travel VERY light compared to a 1 ton van
roof storage is there, but it's difficult to access
no use of stove unless top is popped
simply not possible for two people to stealth camp

Ironically I ordered a FWC hawk about 3 weeks ago, should be delivered next week, and I sold my 97 e350 4x4 diesel regular body pop top camper van yesterday. Van sold without even advertising it to a guy who approached me at a car show wondering if I would ever consider selling. I actually had a friend interested as well who was willing to trade his VW syncro Doka (double cab pickup) he wanted to trade, or his syncro adventurewagen. Doka was intriguing to me for sure (didn't need a campervan with a FWC coming)

So decision has been made and look for my real report of my opinion. I think I'm gonna be happy.

Ps. Syncro westfalia's with a Subaru motor is a really great rig FYI. My last one had a full width queen bed, ie, could haul 4x8 sheet of plywood, and a 3.3 l Subaru 6 cylinder. No rig like it ever.

and its landed, got it installed by rocky mountain FWC yesterday. 13 Hawk, side dinette, 80L compressor fridge, hot water/shower, furnace, awning, solar prewire (i have a system i need to install), etc. think im really gonna dig it, perfect amount of space/storage-hope i find that once in use. My truck doesnt really notice it back there, for sure its heavier feeling, but drives better than a 4x4 1 ton van--trust me photo 6.JPG

Back
Top Bottom