Truck Camper Magazine reviews the 2018 FWC Hawk

The two 10# tanks allow me to go to Baja without taking extra propane to run our Coleman stove. We enjoy cooking outside when we can. One tank will last longer than the time we're out on the beach so we can stop on our way into town to have them refilled.
We were just in Baja for 2-1/2 months an I only had to fill the tanks once (in Loreto).

I purchased ordered my Hawk, and they had two separate pages about the need to upgrade tires, and the other was to upgrade the suspension. I had to sign and date both of them.

Kali said:
I purchased ordered my Hawk, and they had two separate pages about the need to upgrade tires, and the other was to upgrade the suspension. I had to sign and date both of them.
Wow !, there goes any future "I know nothing, how is it my fault" defense, LOL.

I guess some degree of indemnity may be standard in the industry but that sounds rather bold. Was your vehicle no longer equipped as originally made, or equivalently, such that it was deemed by FWC to no longer meet the mfrs ratings ? Or do you think this was a blanket form for all buyers.

If they are demanding you acknowledge the necessity of upgraded tires and suspension beyond oem then it would appear they are knowingly selling (and having installed) at least some units onto undersized trucks. And of course the buyer will know it too.

Prob best to have full disclosure, all this out in the open etc. Thanks for the info, Kali.

Hmmm, I'm seeing a market opportunity here for a light weight camper line ...

klahanie said:
<snip>

Was your vehicle no longer equipped as originally made, or equivalently, such that it was deemed by FWC to no longer meet the mfrs ratings ? Or do you think this was a blanket form for all buyers.

<snip>
According to FWC's response to the Truck Camper Magazine article I linked to in post 16, those are a new addition to FWC's sales process. (The article doesn't have page numbers but the section I'm referring to is in the paragraphs below the first photo).

The other thing that jumped out at me in that response is the average weight of a dry+options Hawk-- 1428 pounds!

^ very good. I remember your post and summary but didn't follow the link until just now. I guess the devil is in the details or in this case, wording.

recommendations vs the need to upgrade

or

signing an acknowledgement vs signing a contractual undertaking (if it is)

btw I have no bone to pick with FWC or any other mfr, no knickers in a twist that owners might just do what they want to do. I still lean towards buyer beware. But my take away from this is to ask beforehand the seller of any camper/trailer/RV what their terms of sale are, including waivers.

I mean, if I show up with a 20lb bag wanting to buy 10lbs of stuff and the guy beside me has a 5lb bag, and we both have to sign... c'mon.

I will say that it's great to read in the link that final weight estimates are presently given with build quotes and that final weight will soon be visible on the ID tag for used buyers. I know the orig buyer was getting documented shipping weight (because the motor carrier would want it) but sooner is better for a prospective buyer. Good on FWC !

Then after purchase it's all on the owner ... "load it up !!"

With regards to the louvered window beside the emergency window, we have a side dinette and use this window for ventilation when it rains. We seem to attract rain when we camp so this is not infrequent. We close the upper soft windows to keep water from blowing in but the louvers solve this problem especially if we have the awning extended.

Bonus: on a hot day, sitting beside this window with the Fantastic Fan blowing out and all the other windows shut is delightful.

Alan

The pages were included with the purchase order that I signed (not upon delivery of camper). I thought it was a little unusual, but as a business they probably have to protect themselves from that one customer who will severely overload his truck, lose control and total his vehicle(or worse) and then sue FWC for not telling him his truck needs certain modifications to stabilize the load.

Back
Top Bottom