Truck Camper Magazine reviews the 2018 FWC Hawk

Looks like some serious upgrades for you FWC guys including access of the space between wheelwells.

Nice photo shoot. Have to say, it shows pretty well ! Having difficulty with four adults seated at the dinette tho ... LOL

Now I better understand the comments I've read on here about this layout pushing the center of gravity back. Under bed storage in the overcab would help, wonder if this is coming ...

Although the author is a bit of a stick in the mud about individual camper weights and marking COG I have to agree with him here. It would be frustrating to me as a buyer to not have the actual built weight marked on the tag. The mfr appears to scale each unit, why be coy about the final weight ? I mean, it is what it is, the buyer will deal with it.

anyhoo thanks for the link, OC

2x10 lb propane makes more sense than 1 x 20 lb....when you run one 10 lb dry you have the other as a reserve and "I need propane" alert..

Plus "exchanging" a 20 lb bottle in BFE on an outback trip is not going to work when you are 1,500 miles from home...really pulling and filling a 10 lb bottle takes perhaps 10 mins....and while minor, it keeps the CG lower..

"Access space between wheel wells"..I missed that? as well as "serious upgrades".

Window placement on a soft side pop-up will always have the windows too low...but very glad to have them! [Side dinette 2016 Hawk].

Did appreciate the individual listing of option weights...but did not see awning.

Phil

You can get a cassette toilet with or without interior shower in a slide in Hawk.It was incorectly stated in the article that it is only available in the Flatbed model Hawk.

I think Stan just doesn’t want any photographic evidence of a smile. I saw him smile once when no cameras were around. :p

Paul

I​do find it interesting about the discussion of weight and then not having a shower/toilet? I've seen a few units with the interior showers and frankly, I don't get it.

Good press for FWC but they didn't mention the this forum :)

Doesn't look like too much has changed since my 2015 was ordered/delivered.

Changes I noted:
1. Updated Zamp controller
2. Isotherm frig has to better than the frig installed in my Hawk!
3. Blue Seas ACR, most of us upgraded to the automatic version of this upgrade. Not sure I like the relocated water plumbing on top of the ACR and grounding block. Mine has that plumbing in the space with the pump.
4. Redesigned trap door for indoor shower (under dinette). I like this better as ours is split down the middle and not comfortable in stocking feet.
5. I was under the impression, FWC did weigh every camper and each camper's dry weight is noted on the placard on the rear exterior wall.
6. Kind of surprised the author did not know the actual purpose for the windows (1 in particular) behind the dinette seats. DOT regs require at least 1 emergency exit not associated with the normal egress point. If emergency egress is not located behind one of the dinette seats, where are you going to put it with all the cabinetry and appliances? Further, I have never used either behind dinette seating windows for ventilation or lighting. You have 4 very spacious windows in the pop-up portion much more suited for fresh air and natural light!
7. I still do not like the cabinet lip at the floor for the large space where the porta-potti or other things stow. This area gets beat up removing heavy items from this space. I keep our Clean Waste toilet, Partner Steel Stove and other bulky items here.
Screenshot_2018-03-30_08.14.35.png

Not sure how to "fix" this, but there has to be a better way.

8. I really like the exterior down and side LED lighting on my Hawk. But, each of the four light units, left side, left down, right side, right down, needs to be on its own, individual switched circuit. Not so much to save on amp draw as these draw very little, but no need to "white light pollute" when out in the boonies when you only need lighting in one specific sector. I used to mention this to Tom at every opportunity. He thought I was crazy. Something I will re-wire...some day.
9. Not sure I would ever want an indoor shower in this camper. Escaping water can ruin the cabinetry and other things very quickly! Plus nothing better then an outside shower in the boonies. In a crowded area, I simply shower outside with my surf baggies on. I have a privacy tent that traps heat from hot water for my bride's when showering outside. Tent gets like a sauna on cold days. Just got to move fast from tent to inside the camper after showering.

Advmoto18 said:
7. I still do not like the cabinet lip at the floor for the large space where the porta-potti or other things stow. This area gets beat up removing heavy items from this space. I keep our Clean Waste toilet, Partner Steel Stove and other bulky items here.
Screenshot_2018-03-30_08.14.35.png

Not sure how to "fix" this, but there has to be a better way.
I modified the front panel so I could slide my porta potti out. The front panel removes easily enough so that you can cut and sand the edges down. 20180317_134753.jpg

trikebubble said:
I modified the front panel so I could slide my porta potti out. The front panel removes easily enough so that you can cut and sand the edges down.
attachicon.gif
20180317_134753.jpg
I have been contemplating this very mod.

Was there a compelling reason to leave areas sticking out a bit from the vertical portion of the cabinet face?

Screenshot_2018-04-01_08.50.17.png

Thanks for posting!

Bill

Advmoto18 said:
I have been contemplating this very mod.

Was there a compelling reason to leave areas sticking out a bit from the vertical portion of the cabinet face?

Screenshot_2018-04-01_08.50.17.png

Thanks for posting!

Bill
The angle brackets that hold the face to the floor are behind that. I figured leaving them would offer more support than moving the angle brackets inwards and continuing the line straight down. (less holes in the floor to see as well)

trikebubble said:
The angle brackets that hold the face to the floor are behind that. I figured leaving them would offer more support than moving the angle brackets inwards and continuing the line straight down. (less holes in the floor to see as well)
Thx!

As soon as I read your reply I recalled the angle brackets behind the face plate. Another AARP moment!

trikebubble said:
I modified the front panel so I could slide my porta potti out. The front panel removes easily enough so that you can cut and sand the edges down.
attachicon.gif
20180317_134753.jpg
I wonder if the Porta Potti could force the doors and slide out in rough terrain. A stick across the tabs, or footman loops and a strap could solve that if it becomes an issue.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I wonder if the Porta Potti could force the doors and slide out in rough terrain. A stick across the tabs, or footman loops and a strap could solve that if it becomes an issue.
I will be fabbing up a guide and straps to keep it secure.
(It's on my list somewhere)

The Manufacturer's Response to the Four Wheel Camper Hawk was posted to the Truck Camper Magazine Blog today.

Includes...

- change coming in process for documenting final build weight

- new documentation of FWC recommendations for suspension and tires

- average Hawk-with-options weight

- new web site being built

- responses to points made by TCM reviewer on propane tanks, windows behind seating, cabinet doors, etc.

Love having 2 10lb propane tanks, its not like you go through them fast. One runs out you have a backup, and they are easy to fill.

agree on having FWC recommendations on tires/suspension suggestions. That would have helped when I was looking at buying a unit.

T

Back
Top Bottom