Ultimate Awning Thread

brett13

Lovecock
It seems the awning questions come up a lot- like every few months. I thought we could post all the relevant threads and info in one thread and maybe DD will make it a sticky. Here are the ones I found so far, listed by thread title. Post if you know of more and I'll edit this first entry.

What brand awning for eagle? by breathe deep
Discussion of Fiamma, ShadyBoy

Back Door Awning by DurangoSteve

Rear awning by BenG

Awning question by keith

Another Awning by BillM
"Simple awning on my 4Wheel"

Another Awning Option by Missing Link
Big Agnes Twin Butte Car Tarp review

BTW, I've been stealthily working on an awning for the back of the camper. There doesn't seem to be one available that fits, so as others have done in the threads above, I'm making a custom one. My criteria are: light weight and stowable, easy to put up/take down, sturdy and allows water to roll off the roof onto the awning (not between the awning and roof so as to get wet anyway).

It is almost done, but I haven't tested it outdoors yet. I installed a clean, white plastic awning rail along the trim of the roof edge. Bought some "outdoor canvas" which was much cheaper than Sunbrella (<1/2 price) , but supposedly UV and water resistant. Took it to a drape maker and stitched in the welt (which slides into the awning rail), made sturdy seams all the way around, added a few grommets and a "rod pocket" across the edge opposite the camper. The "rod pocket", as the seamstress calls it, is there so you can put in a pole to make the leading edge rigid and eliminate extra guy lines and wind factors. (see if you can use "rod pocket", "pole" and "rigid" in a legitimate, clean sentence! :D )

So far, I have a custom awning for $150, not including the poles. Once I tweak mine, I can have these made in bulk for our members here (in other colors too). Here is a pic of it being tested in the garage (I didn't have all the poles when took this, so this isn't the finished deal- but close). I'll post more pics when I get the camper out in a few weeks.

P1010203c.jpg

This is cool. I have been thinking about rear camper awnings for a while. This is nice. Hope you get it out for some field reports soon.

Will keep thinking and maybe do some planning as well.

thanks!

dave

I forgot to mention that the awning in the pics above is 8' x 6'. The poles are simple segmented aluminum tent poles, 8ft.

ghetto, but effective... large tarp, tie downs, tent poles, tent stakes and some spare webbing. viola!

Attachments

• 39220_10150215976480635_616630634_13519436_7643015_n.jpg
    39220_10150215976480635_616630634_13519436_7643015_n.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 860
I forgot to mention that the awning in the pics above is 8' x 6'. The poles are simple segmented aluminum tent poles, 8ft.

Looks good Brett. In the wind you may want poles to the ground with cord out to stakes but test yours out and see.

I use stakes and cords even on the side (factory) awning when the breeze kicks up. (For some reason I'm often out in the wind, rain, hail and snow!)

Stew

I'm interested in getting input on the various methods / hardware people have used for attaching the "homemade" tarps to the roof of the camper. I've seen some comments about attaching eyebolts or small boat cleats along the drip rail that runs around the outside of the roof. What's the recommended screw size, material etc? The main concern is how to securely attach it to the camper so it's secure without damaging the camper. As for staking out the tarp, I've got experience with that piece of the set up.

I have a FWC factory installed awning but I will be heading out for an 8 day stay in an environment of heavy wind and very serious dust. The wind is manageable, as I can roll the awning up in needed. However, the bigger concern is the dust working it's way into every nook and cranny of the mechanism to wind it up. Would be a nightmare to clean out. So, I'd like to consider a tarp arrangement as an alternative for this trip.

Thanks,

TK

I will be heading out for an 8 day stay in an environment of heavy wind and very serious dust.

Burning Man?

Yes, Burning Man. Anyone else going? My wife and I attended last year with a few friends but took our '71 Airstream. This year, I figure our Grandby shell will be easier to clean. We're going to give it another shot. Not sure I want to make it an annual habit at this point. It is one of the more unusual events I've ever attended.

On the tarp question, one option I'm considering is to tie a tarp off to the Yakima roof rack. I have two bars in the rear holding up a "basket case". I've thought I could mount one more bar up toward the front and then come off the passenger side to some stout aluminum poles that can be staked out with multiple lines. Rebar for stakes.

TK

Well, here it is. Wife not included.

Some thoughts on my first test:
-this pic is a little deceiving as the truck is on a significant slope. My wife's feet are a good 6-8" lower than the rear tire, but you can't tell from the pic.
-some guy lines for winds greater than about 12mpg are necessary (the ones pictured are a jerry-rigged combination of cord, bungies and the dog's zip line)
-stock poles worked just fine
-Need a better mechanism to secure poles to jack brackets. I used a cord threaded through a hole I drilled in the base of the pole. Would really like something just a tad more "fixed" in place.
-love having shade over the back door
-One could easily use a longer awning if they chose to stake down the poles and not jack mount them. I usually don't have the patience to rig properly though.

Attachments

• 10-08-15-Penitente-(55).jpg
    10-08-15-Penitente-(55).jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,626
Yes, Burning Man. Anyone else going? My wife and I attended last year with a few friends but took our '71 Airstream. This year, I figure our Grandby shell will be easier to clean. We're going to give it another shot. Not sure I want to make it an annual habit at this point. It is one of the more unusual events I've ever attended.

TK

I've been twice...nothing like it on the planet. Sensory overload for sure. Have fun!

Some thoughts on my first test:

-stock poles worked just fine

-Need a better mechanism to secure poles to jack brackets. I used a cord threaded through a hole I drilled in the base of the pole. Would really like something just a tad more "fixed" in place.

Nice awning. I like your rigging job, Brett :)

Are you using shockcorded aluminum tent poles? Where did you get them?

Stew

Are you using shockcorded aluminum tent poles? Where did you get them?

Stew

Yes they are shockcorded aluminum tent poles. I *think* these came from REI or Campmor, but I've had them laying around for a while. Used a much smaller version for the crossbar along the front edge. Interestingly, even though I didn't attach it to the other poles, it never pinched in or needed a tie. The crossbar keeps the fabric nice and open and requires less work with guy lines. Just need to keep the ends from blowing away and not necessarily staked tight in each direction.

well I finally pulled the trigger on an ARB awning, trdparts4u.com is having a sweet sale, an 8' awning for 230 shipped. reg over 325, plus shipping. not sure how long the sale is going on, but best deal I have seen on these types of awnings in the year and a half I have been looking. it shipped the next day after order, and should get here by the end of the week. my thought with it is to make some mount points that will allow me to switch it from side to side or back. here at this link you can see the alum extrusion used on the back: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44502

and here is a link of it deployed on another vehicle: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16266

would be real easy to just perma-mount it to one side, but I think I have a challenge to make a mount that can be quickly attached to and is secure enough. thinkingduring travel I would just mount it up on the roof, so the side mounts do not need to be road worthy, just camp worthy. any thought?

Re: Burning Man

My wife and I are going to attend this year and taking the Grandby. How did your FWC work for you last year at the event? Any suggestions? I'm curious as to how your awnings survived? I figure we'll just take ours down every nite when we're out and about in case wind or somesuch pops up. Its our first time attending, it just seems like its at least a once in a lifetime thing!

On the tarp question, one option I'm considering is to tie a tarp off to the Yakima roof rack. I have two bars in the rear holding up a "basket case". I've thought I could mount one more bar up toward the front and then come off the passenger side to some stout aluminum poles that can be staked out with multiple lines. Rebar for stakes.

TK

LOW TEC REAR AWNING MOD:

Someone else has probably posted this as a solution, but I am unable to find it if they have. So, pardon me if this is a duplicate.

I purchased the standard rear awning option from FWC. It detaches from a channel and I found it to be a storage issue. So,... 1). Cut four channels with a Dremmel and drill in the extrusion to accept retainer straps. 2). Removed the pole retainer pockets from the awning and reposition (sew) them in place on the top bottom of the awning material.

Now I am able to roll up the awning and poles and strap it up out of the way. It does not interfere with the marker lights. Thought I'd head that one off. It also deploys with the bike in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 1,049
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 879
There's a thread on Expedition Portal call "Show us pictures of your awning" or something like that. You can get really good ideas of how others of built their own awning frames and hardware they used. Some are first rate and others just so so.

Back
Top Bottom