Ultimate Solar Thread

Here is a link to one of the pages

http://www.windsun.com/ChargeControls/ChargeCont.htm

Browse the whole site. There is a ton of great info.

You might try using this pretty cool energy consumption tool to figure out your total need. The tool then helps you decide on the size of panel. It's pretty thorough and a good exercise to go thru anyway.

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-calculator.html

You might try using this pretty cool energy consumption tool to figure out your total need. The tool then helps you decide on the size of panel. It's pretty thorough and a good exercise to go thru anyway.

http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-calculator.html

I added batterystuff to the list on page 1.

Check out this foldable panel: http://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/P362watt.html

It would eliminate the potential for scraping up a panel on the roof with tree branches or hail and you could use it backpacking or in emergencies too. Too bad it is so expensive. If they only had an 85W+ version...

I just bought a 100w panel and an mppt controller for $325 from SolarBlvd.com Will put this setup on my hybrid toyhauler, can add another 100w later if I though I needed it.

I just bought a 100w panel and an mppt controller for $325 from SolarBlvd.com Will put this setup on my hybrid toyhauler, can add another 100w later if I though I needed it.

Wow. They seem to have great prices. Please let us know what you think of the unit once installed. I added it to the master list on pg 1.

Wow. They seem to have great prices. Please let us know what you think of the unit once installed. I added it to the master list on pg 1.

I was looking at a similar one, little more power for $500 but this looked great and I can always add another 100w if I need it. Given I had back surgery last week not sure when I will crawl up on the roof and figure out the best installation. It is an expensive situation, I have a new to me toyhauler, after fixing up my FWC I know what I want on this one, and I have all the time in the world sitting here surfing for ways to spend $$ on it. Electric tongue jack, solar, 6v batteries....................

Barko

Thanks for the link. They do have great prices. I was curious

They have a Sharp 80W panel for $328 and aCynergy 80W panel for $199 (I think).. Can't see any major differences except that I have heard of Sharp

So, in panels, are we paying for a "name brand" or is the Sharp a better product??

Barko

Thanks for the link. They do have great prices. I was curious

They have a Sharp 80W panel for $328 and aCynergy 80W panel for $199 (I think).. Can't see any major differences except that I have heard of Sharp

So, in panels, are we paying for a "name brand" or is the Sharp a better product??

Could be but to me it is just a guess or a gamble. Mine should arrive in the next day or two, the MPPT and 100w. Yesterday I got 2 208 amp hour 6v batteries from Sam's Club for about $67 each! These are big boys, might even get another 100w to keep them full.

Which charge controller did you buy?

What do you think of eco-direct?

Their prices were actually a little cheaper than solar blvd.

I am looking at the BP 80 watt panel with the Sunsaver 15watt MPPT controller.

A bit spendy, but I want it done right the first time!!

BZ 250 Watt PV MPPT Charge controller 50V Input, 12V/25A Output () = $106.25

Thanks. I'm really struggling with the issue of buying an MPPT contoller for more money and getting 10-30% better performance.....or buying a much less expensive non-MPPT controller and hoping it will perform good enough.

The nice thing about the MMPT controller is the fact it works best on cloudy winter days.....just the time when you would need the most performance.

The expensive route is to buy an MMPT controller and a brand name (like Sharp) panel. I'm really on the fence about which way to go.

To make matters worse....there is a dual battery controller that will charge the "house" battery and the starting battery.... Morningstar Sunsaver Duo with Remote Meter for $145.....which sounds really cool as you can choose what type batteries you have, and what percent to devote to the "house" battery and the starting battery (dip switches).....but the downside is that this is a non-MPPT controller: http://www.solarblvd...oduct_info.html

I guess the real question is how important is the MPPT feature. Opinions????

Thanks. I'm really struggling with the issue of buying an MPPT contoller for more money and getting 10-30% better performance.....or buying a much less expensive non-MPPT controller and hoping it will perform good enough.

The nice thing about the MMPT controller is the fact it works best on cloudy winter days.....just the time when you would need the most performance.

The expensive route is to buy an MMPT controller and a brand name (like Sharp) panel. I'm really on the fence about which way to go.

To make matters worse....there is a dual battery controller that will charge the "house" battery and the starting battery.... Morningstar Sunsaver Duo with Remote Meter for $145.....which sounds really cool as you can choose what type batteries you have, and what percent to devote to the "house" battery and the starting battery (dip switches).....but the downside is that this is a non-MPPT controller: http://www.solarblvd...oduct_info.html

I guess the real question is how important is the MPPT feature. Opinions????

I've decided that when I go solar, I'm going MPPT. You can get a smaller panel and the same performance, which saves weight and partially or wholly pays for the MPPT cost. In sum, less weight, same performance, half the difference more (if the MPPT is an extra $150, but the panel is $75 less, they MPPT is only $75 more for the same performance).

Brand name vs generic: tough call. Haven't decided myself yet either. One person posted their generic is great. Barko will let us know his experience soon enough. I'm seeing some evidence that generic is just as good. In many technologies (like PCs), the brand is an attempt to maintain margin in a commodity business as performance and quality are about equal while prices fall hard.

Not sure I see the need for charging the starter battery at all. Are you drawing off it except to start the truck?

Not sure I see the need for charging the starter battery at all. Are you drawing off it except to start the truck?

Thanks brett13.....that's just the kind of opinion I was looking for.

Some of my trips are long (just finished a 5 week trip to CO) and the truck sits there for a long time without being started. I guess it's probably not a big deal though as there are two big batteries under the hood. Maybe I don't need the dual charging either.

Still wringing my hands over the brand name vs generic issue. If I buy generic and am dissatisfied.... I then have to buy the name brand stuff and am out the cost of the generic stuff from the first attempt.

Looking at MPPT controllers......$200+ for brand name.....$109 for generic.

I don't know much about the solar world.....but in the past I've purchased generic and wished I hadn't. Someone once told me this about the brand name vs generic issue....."the quality remains, long after the price is forgotten." I just don't know if that applies to the solar world.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy brand name stuff and be done with it.

I'd like to hear about experiences from folks with non brand named solar components.

I know FWC does their factory installation using a non MPPT controller....but a quality name brand Sharp panel.

Are you folks with a factory installed solar system happy with it?

Some of my trips are long (just finished a 5 week trip to CO) and the truck sits there for a long time without being started. I guess it's probably not a big deal though as there are two big batteries under the hood. Maybe I don't need the dual charging either.
I've never had a problem starting after three weeks of not starting. Can't imagine that would be the case with two batteries. Plus, in a pinch, you could take the camper battery and wire it to supplement the weak ones under the hood just to start up, then let the alternator recharge everything. Or use wire a lead from the solar charger to the truck batts to recharge. Then there are those inexpensive solar trickle chargers. Even a pinch, it would seem you have options not to be stuck for long.

Looking at MPPT controllers......$200+ for brand name.....$109 for generic.

$90 is a no-brainer in favor of MPPT, IMHO

$90 is a no-brainer in favor of MPPT, IMHO

Sorry, I should have been more clear....they are both MPPT, but one is a generic brand vs name brand.

I'm in the same boat on buying generic or getting "name brand".

I might just bite the bullet and go for the "name". I am powering my Engel, so I need to optimize all the power possible.

The Sharp 80 watt panel is 21 pounds while the BP 80 watt panel is 17 pounds. I think I will be going with BP.

I am freaked out about drilling into my roof to ru wires, but not sure what else to do.

Check out eco direct's website. The prices were cheper than solarblvd.

Looking at 80-90 watt panels...the amps don't exceed 5 amps or so. Even allowing for some extra amps I don't need more than 8-10 capacity on a controller.

I was looking to get an MPPT controller since everyone seems to think they are better. The smallest MPPT unit I have found is 15 amps (Morningstar) and the majority of the smallest units are 25 amps.

Is this because for our small panels the MPPT units are not needed? I am just curious why the companies don't make an MPPT controller scaled small enough for the 80-90 watt panels.

Someone mentioned that the MPPT benefit was for medium to large systems.

The smallest MPPT unit I have found is 15 amps (Morningstar) and the majority of the smallest units are 25 amps.

Is this because for our small panels the MPPT units are not needed? I am just curious why the companies don't make an MPPT controller scaled small enough for the 80-90 watt panels.

Wild guess: the cost is in the MPPT technology, not the ability to handle more amps, thus it added very little cost to make one unit capable up to 25A, so why bother selling a unit that is just $25 cheaper? Just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom