Ultimate Solar Thread

Wild guess: the cost is in the MPPT technology, not the ability to handle more amps, thus it added very little cost to make one unit capable up to 25A, so why bother selling a unit that is just $25 cheaper? Just a guess.

Thanks brett13. That sounds very reasonable.

There may be another reason for me wanting to get a higher cost MPPT unit.

Go to this link to the owners manual for the MorningStar SS-MPPT-15L (15 amp): http://www.morningst...T.IOM.EN.02.pdf

Scroll down to section 7 (page 37) where it discusses the different set points for the various battery types. This controller can be tuned for one of four different battery types 1) Gel, 2) sealed, 3) AGM and 4) Flooded.

Most of the other ones out there only have two types, Flooded and Sealed.

I happen to have an AGM battery and would like to have the charging tailored specifically for it.

Any other controllers out there that have 4 choices?

I like those stick 'em ones, but it says you need a flat rrof to install them on

With the roof vents, luggage rack and crews every 12 in (width ways) apart, There is not enough space to stick it. It is pretty long, and 15.5 in wide.

Any ideas?

I like those stick 'em ones, but it says you need a flat rrof to install them on

With the roof vents, luggage rack and crews every 12 in (width ways) apart, There is not enough space to stick it. It is pretty long, and 15.5 in wide.

Any ideas?

I went and measured too- the width will not fit between the roof screws. Several choices:
a) install over the screws and make sure the edges are glued down good (the screws only stick up a ~1/3").
b)remove the screws (They can't be all that structural, right?)
c) use regular panels
d) get the new FWC seamless roof

They have a longer version, 18' long, that is 135W. Too bad you can cut it. Or too bad they don't make say 48" versions that you can connect up. Then you could lay it across the roof, width wise.

Thats funny, I thought the same thing about removing the screws!!

D= is definitely not happening!.

I might be back to getting a regular panel.

I want to call the company and see if you could install it over the screws, but I know they will give a "void the warranty" type answer.

Hmmm, will have to think about this some more!!

Thought I'd bring up this thread again, as I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a simple solar setup with this stick-on solar panel on my new FWC smooth roof. Looks like my Finch roof will just fit the length and I think I have about a 20-30" width between my vent and right yakima track. Anybody have experience/info since this last post? I've found it for $200 here: http://www.solarhome.org/uni-solar68wpvmoduleamorphouslaminateblack644wcec12vpvl-68.aspx
Thinking of going for the cheaper PWM (http://www.solarhome.org/sunguard4ampchargecontroller12v.aspx) charge controller initially, as I'm in the same boat with many previous posters concerning the sticker shock of the MPPT controllers (on top of $200). The controller would mount under the hood next to the aux battery for the IBS system.

Even with the wiring, too, I'm thinking I could keep the total price less than $300.

The battery just isn't keeping the beer cold through mid-summer backpacks. Was looking to add to the battery bank, but my IBS dual-battery system is centralized under the hood with both batteries and no room to expand there. Not looking forward to making a long run of heavy guage wire all the way back to the camper to accomodate the space (limited in the Finch, anyways) for a new big battery.

Thoughts?

This is pretty cool. Not sure if someone has linked to it before.

Afraid to drill into the roof? You don't have to. Just "stick" it on for $299:

Unisolar 68 Watt Flexible Solar Panel Pv Laminate

Weighs less than 9# too. You could put two on the camper and get 136W!

Here is the data sheet

specjoe,

Are you saying that the "house" batteries for your camper are located under the hood? Or are you using the batteries under the hood for starting and running your camper needs?

Yes...and No. All electrical to the camper is routed from my aux AGM Odyssey battery under the hood. Fridge is directly wired to the aux battery as well. IBS intelligent solenoid splits that from the alternator/primary starting battery.

specjoe,

Are you saying that the "house" batteries for your camper are located under the hood? Or are you using the batteries under the hood for starting and running your camper needs?

Hello,

I just purchased a 120W-$210 Solar Cynergy panel and a Morningstar Sunsaver Duo Controller $145 from solar blvd. I already have an Orbital Exide Deep Cycle Battery in the camper with a Sure Power 1314-200 separator, (1314-100 was recalled).

1) Do I need the separator anymore if the Controller charges the car and camper battery? If not, it`s new and for sale!

2)I want the panel to charge my battery and power my Dometic 3 way fridge during the day. Did I do my research to see if the panel is sufficient? NO.......I will figure it out through trial and error!

3) Any insight would be appreciated!.....I have not assembled my new system, yet.

Thanks,

2)I want the panel to charge my battery and power my Dometic 3 way fridge during the day. Did I do my research to see if the panel is sufficient? NO.......I will figure it out through trial and error!

Unless you have some snazzy new Dometic 3-way, they are least efficient in 12 volt DC mode. So for example, for me to have topped my battery off *and* powered my former 3-way in 12 volt, I would have needed in excess of 600 watts of solar...it just draws too many amps at that setting. And you should never get rid of the option of having the alternator charge your battery, solar cells are far less efficient on cloudy days or low sun angles.

Don't get me wrong, the Dometic 3-way fridges are great on propane, decent on 110 volt when plugged in at a KOA or RV park but on 12 volt, no way on the 3-way.

After getting tired of leveling my rig for propane use, I upped my solar to a 135 watt panel on the roof and an auxilary 100 watt slide out under the cab over for a total of 235 watts and then replaced my 3-way with this AC/DC Dometic and have had zero problems since.

Solar Blvd has Solar Cynergy 120watt panels marked from $600 to $162 right now. I just pulled the trigger on one, couldn't pass up that price. Don't know the brand, but sounds good enough for me! Threw on a Sun Saver MPPT 15L and remote monitor (also both on sale) for a total of $460.

Solar Blvd has Solar Cynergy 120watt panels marked from $600 to $162 right now. I just pulled the trigger on one, couldn't pass up that price. Don't know the brand, but sounds good enough for me! Threw on a Sun Saver MPPT 15L and remote monitor (also both on sale) for a total of $460.

Thanks for the lead, GG!
I may have to get one of those myself. I only have a 70-watt panel, and since I got a DC-compressor fridge I'd like to add a little more power-producing reserve for when I spend a couple/few days in one spot, especially in summer when the fridge is working more.

Thanks for the lead, GG!
I may have to get one of those myself. I only have a 70-watt panel, and since I got a DC-compressor fridge I'd like to add a little more power-producing reserve for when I spend a couple/few days in one spot, especially in summer when the fridge is working more.
I pulled the trigger, too -- ordered one of these. It says "will ship on Jan 3", so maybe it'll be waiting for me when I get back from my central-Nevada trip.
I guess I'll need to read up on how to mount on the roof. I wonder if this means I'll now need to add the "roof-lifter helpers" for this 20-lb panel?
I'll keep my 70-watt panel in free-standing mode.

I pulled the trigger, too -- ordered one of these. It says "will ship on Jan 3", so maybe it'll be waiting for me when I get back from my central-Nevada trip.
I guess I'll need to read up on how to mount on the roof. I wonder if this means I'll now need to add the "roof-lifter helpers" for this 20-lb panel?
I'll keep my 70-watt panel in free-standing mode.

Good call! Glad I was able to help part you from some money :p

I ordered some Z brackets from them as well and plan on going that route. I have the roof shock thingys and some brackets inbound as well. And a fridge. And a new faucet. New year, new projects, new destinations....

I'm sure this is here somewhere but forgive me, and save me the trouble of keywords! What size / type of screw would be ideal for mounting my panel to the roof? I am using Z brackets which are only as thick as a washer, so length of screw will not be affected much. It's install time soon! A bit worried about finding the roof frame but I'm sure all will become clear soon.

Thanks.

I'm not sure of the wisdom of my actions when it comes to the screws I used for my solar panel.

I was initially thinking I wanted to "secure" the panel against theft using some tamperproof screws.

So, that's what I did.

In retrospect there is another side to this equation... While a good thief will get usually get whatever they are after, with tamperproof screws they could really tear up not only the solar panel and the exterior of the camper where it is mounted, AND they could in frustration, do a lot more damage just to "get even" for not making the solar panel easier to steal. So, if my camper ever encounters a good thief trying to steal my solar panel, I'm going to really "tick them off".

I'm betting that this won't happen to me or my camper.

Think about it before deciding to go the same path I went.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I used Socket Pin-Button Head machine screws (I think I used 10-24 x 1") for the Z-bracket to panel, and Socket Pin-Button Head sheet metal screws (I think I used #10AB x 1") for the Z-bracket to roof. Don't forget to order a Key-Tool, so you can install them.

Here's the web site and the page of the screws I ordered from the Tamperproof Screw Co., of New York...

I was initially a little miffed that the purchase process is... place items in your shopping cart, submit the shopping cart for a quote, and then they email back the prices of your order to you. If you like it, then you can call them and pay over the phone with a credit card.

They are a small family company, and pretty friendly.
It appeared to me that the father, (George now retired) invented these security screw heads and now the son (Lew Freidman) is running the business.
When you call to place your order and give your credit card, you'll probably be talking to Lew (I did).

The order arrived within a week and the parts are high quality stuff.
I was very happy with the company. 10 out of 10.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

P.S., and, now you know how to steal my solar panel.

I figured that just needing a ladder will thwart most thieves. If you want mine be sure to bring a 7/16"s wrench.

Back
Top Bottom