Ultimate Solar Thread

Mark,
I read the links and "Desert Rat's comments". His system is the same as mine, so I feel better about both sources and no on/off switch needed for the roof mount source, :)

Not sure if I missed it in the long thread but you should add renogy solar. They make a flexible 100 watt panel that weighs 3 lbs and can fit under our mattresses perfectly with the roof down. Only costs $200. I can vouch that they work because that's what I'm using along with their 30 amp charge controller with lcd screen. I see 5.5 amps with good sun.

Just to further nail down the switch's coffin lid, we have solar (100W panel & 15A controller) and a VSR to charge off the alternator. Never have had a switch, but then with the solar the alternator rarely has to actually do anything with the camper batteries.

ntsqd said:
If I were going to do switch off the PV panel(s) I'd want a better switch than that Home Depot unit.

Something like this:
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70176364
70176364.jpg

It's a bit more $$ than the HD part, but I have a lot more confidence in it than I do in the HD switch.
Can this type of switch be used for in-cab uses such as light bars, winches, camper power, etc?

According to the data sheet that switch is good for 5A (Lamp), 20A (Resistive), and 15A (Inductive) at 28 volts. Assuming it's purely a Watts consideration you can double those numbers for 12VDC. They'll easily control a relay, which you want to use most of the time anyway, but you could use them in a direct control situation if you're smart about the circuit.
They also also have some Factor of Safety built into those numbers, so things like in-rush currents shouldn't be a concern.

Ethergore said:
Not sure if I missed it in the long thread but you should add renogy solar. They make a flexible 100 watt panel that weighs 3 lbs and can fit under our mattresses perfectly with the roof down. Only costs $200. I can vouch that they work because that's what I'm using along with their 30 amp charge controller with lcd screen. I see 5.5 amps with good sun.
I recently pulled off my 28 pound 135W roof panel and replaced it with two Renogy 100W flex panels, so nice and light, now have a total of 350 watts feeding two separate charge controllers and batteries.

Solar is so good and so cheap, I am always amazed at how tight budgeted people are on here...are they all retired or something?

Attachments

• Panels.jpg
    Panels.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 199
Kodachrome said:
...Solar is so good and so cheap...
I completely agree -- and I am retired.
My entire solar system (240 watts of panels and an MPPT charge controller -- but not counting batteries, which I'd have anyway) cost no more than the gasoline for just one round-trip to the eastern Sierra from Bend -- a trip I've made each of the past four Octobers. And that trip is usually not my longest of the year.
The solar system will (should) last for many years of trips -- it's a bargain! :)

Just ordered another panel. A 60W Renogy to go with my 45W I installed 4 years ago.
Now with 105 Ws I should have enough collection that I don't have to worry about using up the battery,and wake up in the morning in some cold camp site and the heater doesn't have enough power to run.Shar wouldn't be very happy.
My power usage isn't much, normal plus the Truckfridge cooler in the truck.
So far we have been doing OK,but on this last trip I did charge the lap top and found out I had to much going on.So I solved it by running the truck for a short time.Not the best sorta defeats the purpose of having solar.

All will be fine once I get it installed.
Frank

The panel arrived in three days of order,free shipping.

Yesterday I installed the new panel nice easy job. Now it's up to the sun to do it's part.

I am a member of the 100W er club now.

Solar the only way.

Frank

Kodachrome- is there a special reason you use two charge controllers or did you just decide it was easier to add a second when you added more panels?

If anyone has a Zamp portable solar panel, and just has a set of alligator clips for it, I found a source for a kit that will let you wire directly into the prewired solar wiring on FWC campers.

It's through Solardealz.com, and called the Zamp Solar Battery Quick Disconnect. Just under $30 USD.

Hey WTW folks,
I've been searching for an SAE plug to run the wiring for my solar panel down through the roof of my older fleet. Neither the local hardware store, nor lowes has the part, and nobody seems to even know what I'm talking about. Anybody know where to get one? Product code and store would be awesome!
Thanks so much!
Luke

Search for "2-pole flat adapter" or "2-pole flat connector 10 gauge". You should find many like this one or this one.. The 12 inch loop will give you two usable units, each with a 6 inch pigtail to which you connect to a device of your choice.

Many of them are 16 gauge which is too small.

Paul

Although, if this is a new installation without existing feedthru connectors, I would consider going with the MC4 solar connectors rather than the older design. Otherwise, you may need to build conversion cables as most of the PV panels now come with the MC4 cables.
Amazon sells feed through cable clamps. for RVs.

Paul

I agree with Paul if you do not have wires. The feed through his link goes to would work better and have with wires.

Back
Top Bottom