Vernal Equinox 2014 - Springtime!

Going to show the pup what a pine tree is tomorrow. I considered snow also but I doubt I can find any.

Boy did I time that right :p -it rained last night; and I had put the mower in the shed instead of leaving it out :D Now if it would rain everyday from now on, maybe the lakes would fill up some :eek: more! Now if my nose would stop running!

Smoke.

Loading up now. Afternoon thunderstorms forecast. I wonder if I can get up to my usual spot. Hopefully the dog doesn't puke going up the mountain roads.

craig333 said:
... Hopefully the dog doesn't puke going up the mountain roads.
Tell him to not look at the red dirt cut-banks. Going camping in the Sierras as a kid, something about the sight of the red dirt made me more-likely to get car sick. :oops:

MarkBC said:
Tell him to not look at the red dirt cut-banks. Going camping in the Sierras as a kid, something about the sight of the red dirt made me more-likely to get car sick. :oops:
The things you learn on this site :p !

Smoke

Spring storm is coming in.............................

Winter Weather Advisory
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
256 AM PDT THU APR 24 2014

.A LATE SEASON STORM WILL LIKELY DROP PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY
RAIN AND SNOW OVER INTERIOR NORTHERN CALIFORNIA TONIGHT THROUGH
FRIDAY NIGHT.

CAZ068-069-250000-
/O.NEW.KSTO.WW.Y.0011.140425T0600Z-140426T1200Z/
WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY/LASSEN PARK-
WEST SLOPE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA-
256 AM PDT THU APR 24 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO
5 AM PDT SATURDAY ABOVE 5500 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY ABOVE 5500 FEET FOR HEAVY SNOW AND/OR BLOWING SNOW...
WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 5 AM PDT SATURDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 5 TO 10 INCHES ABOVE 5500 FEET AND UP TO 4
  INCHES DOWN TO 4500 FEET.

* TIMING: SNOW BEGINS ABOVE 7000 FEET TONIGHT BEFORE IMPACTING
  AREAS DOWN TO 4500 FEET FRIDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: LASSEN NATIONAL PARK...DONNER PASS...ECHO
  SUMMIT...CARSON PASS.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS 35 TO 50 MPH.

* IMPACTS: GREATEST IMPACTS MAY BE PERIODS OF LATE SEASON HEAVY
  SNOWFALL ACCUMULATING ON ROADS AT PASS LEVEL FRIDAY AFTERNOON
  INTO OVERNIGHT. BLOWING SNOW NEAR SIERRA CREST MAY ALSO LIMIT
  VISIBILITIES.

* FOR A DETAILED VIEW OF THE HAZARD AREA...VISIT
  HTTP://WWW.WEATHER.GOV/SACRAMENTO/HAZARDS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING
SNOW MEANS THAT VISIBILITIES WILL BE LIMITED DUE TO A COMBINATION
OF FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW. USE CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING...
ESPECIALLY IN OPEN AREAS.

Just rain here, had a tad of snow here the other day, but something is better than nothing! I had to take in my deck chairs just as I was getting used to using them again, so yep, it must be spring and there still is a chance of snow tonight!

Smoke

A third day of cold wind and another fire in the hearth, yet it supposed to hit the 70's by mid week! A true Spring time, just wish we had had a normaol Winter to go with this!

Smoke

It's only 42℉ at 2 p.m. here in Torrey, UT, just west of Capitol Reef NP. Fresh snow on surrounding mountains...but partly sunny today and more sun in the forecast. :)

MarkBC said:
It's only 42℉ at 2 p.m. here in Torrey, UT, just west of Capitol Reef NP. Fresh snow on surrounding mountains...but partly sunny today and more sun in the forecast. :)
That's almost to hot for you isn't Mark :p ! Maybe it will get colder,and still waiting your spring time adventures :D !

Smoke

Lots of nice powder up high on the east side yesterday. Really wished we had the skis with us.............................One guy with big boards was setting a perfect track up into a glorious bowl................................................

While it's been sunny/partly-cloudy and semi-cool here in the Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Escalante area -- not much above 60 °F a lot of days (a cool which feels good after a hike :) )....
...Back home in Oregon it's been unseasonably-HOT -- mid-80s! :eek: -- in Bend and in Portland.
But the Bend forecast calls, by early next week, for temps back down in the 50s, with rain.

Fortunately, the forecast for the Escalante area calls for continued sunshine (though windy) for the next week...fortunately as I'll be a long way down an impassable-when-wet dirt road for the next few days. :unsure:

Mid 80s is hot? Try mid 90s working in a bottling plant. Ah well, by August mid 90's will feel comfy. You are taking lots of pics?

craig333 said:
Mid 80s is hot? Try mid 90s working in a bottling plant. Ah well, by August mid 90's will feel comfy. You are taking lots of pics?
Well...unseasonably hot for the area. It's all relative. ;) Yes, in mid-summer mid-80s (and some 90s) would be expected in Bend. (I grew up in Redding, CA, so I know what HOT feels like)

Yes, pics. :)

80's here too, but there is talk of a cool down and possible snow next week-you figure! Reno TV was saying we got 19% of our usual snow pack :oops:! Boy, sure glad I don't live in the valley any more-don't miss the heat at all. Looks like the guys/dog are having fun Utah. Well need to finish some more yard work then out of here somewhere :p-no matter what the weather!

Smoke

Went for a walk today in the floodplain forest of the Mississippi River. Saw some unmistakeable signs of spring:

The river is full of water, still melting snow in the northland...

gallery_2966_750_209825.jpg

and the bloodroot is blooming, one of the very first spring ephemerals.

gallery_2966_750_146400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom