Wandering the West - June 2023

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
On the drive home I asked the Lady what her three favorite stories were from the trip. Her reply, "The happiest robin in the world, the cowboys that couldn't brand a cow, and the forty dollar water." From an adventure that was packed full of stories, I agreed with her, those were good ones.

It may be bold, titling this "Wandering the West," but the title fits perfectly.

This will be, again, a multipart tale. I'll get them all done, but I always appreciate your patience. All parts are now posted to our blog and can be found here -

Wandering the West - June 2023 - Part One

Wandering the West - June 2023 - Part Two

Wandering the West - June 2023 - Part Three

Wandering the West - June 2023 - Part Four

Wandering the West - June 2023 - Part Five

Wandering the West - June 2023 - Part Six

Wandering the West - June 2023 - Part Seven

We hope you enjoy tagging along. :)

Great trip report, as always. Some years ago, we encountered the same problem at Craters of the Moon. The campground was not full but was so unappealing, we decided to move on. On the way out of the park, I asked the lady at the entry kiosk "where do you and the other locals camp?" Bingo . . . .she directed us up into the nearby mountains about 10 miles away to an absolutely beautiful dispersed camping area. Also, due to the elevation, it was quite a bit cooler than down at the COTM campground which had virtually no shade and was crowded and hot. Her tip allowed us to make lemonade out of lemons.

Looking forward to your next installment.

Missing Link said:
Great trip report, as always. Some years ago, we encountered the same problem at Craters of the Moon. The campground was not full but was so unappealing, we decided to move on. On the way out of the park, I asked the lady at the entry kiosk "where do you and the other locals camp?" Bingo . . . .she directed us up into the nearby mountains about 10 miles away to an absolutely beautiful dispersed camping area. Also, due to the elevation, it was quite a bit cooler than down at the COTM campground which had virtually no shade and was crowded and hot. Her tip allowed us to make lemonade out of lemons.

Looking forward to your next installment.
Love the robin story… and the great pictures!

What a great start to this adventure.
Your story about the gas fill up will probably be one of the highlights.

You just don't know what you will run into at the small towns.

I can picture your route so far,have traveled some of the same roads.
Thanks waiting for the continued story's.

Frank

great trip report #1 !.. i just plugged in my new video monitor and the pics are GREAT !!!!
always checking out the google map with your posts. i should be writing this stuff down - but it is recorded on the inter web...

this summer is a bit out of wack for us. listed my house for sale in pdx, and moving over to helens house in vancouver. moving is a pain in the butt. who knows where all my fishing gear is...
and, the green appeared to be running pretty high ?? and since no mentions, i suspect you passed on the fishing ??

anyways, thx for the TR
go

Thanks that was quick
I reread part 1 and it came to mind your intro story was missing something.
Say some banjo music playing in the background. A scene like like that
in the movie Deliverance. Maybe you could add that,but if not I can add it in my mind.

The town of South Pass City is very nice glad to see the state preserve it.
It reminds me of the gold town of Nevada City Montana NW of Yellowstone.

Enjoying your adventure,hope that Mrs Ted has recovered.

Frank

When we dragged our camper trailer to US 287 from Atlantic City along that same road in 2015, there were freshly hardened ruts headed up that same hill (to the topo feature named "Crow's Nest"? It got better further on as much of the eastern part ran on pavement outcrop of the Precambrian bedrock.
Looking forward to what's next!

Foy

Thanks for part 3. That's some very beautiful country.Why is that milk separator doing out in the meadow?

No fishing? Were the waters too high?

I assume Mrs Ted is felling better or you would have said something already.

Frank

I last camped at Green River Lakes in 1999...far too long ago. I agree, it may be the most beautiful campground I've camped in. Pinedale was interesting. I struck up a conversation with one of the local outfitters and he offered me a summer job guiding on one of his drift boats. Ha ha...that would've been disasterous for his business but great fun for me. Thanks for the great report/pics and the trip down memory lane.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom