Water pump won't!

Otis

Advanced Member
My Sureflo water pump won't move water(4xx9 series in a 2013 Eagle without a water heater). It just buzzes a bit but no water is pumped. The water tank is filled to over flowing.
What I've done so far:
Let the pump run for 2-3 minutes
Checked the screen on the pump - it is clean
Unhooked the inlet side of the pump, turned it on and felt suction, so it seems the pump is working

Is there a way to prime the pump? Fill the inlet side tube with water?

Thanks good folks for any tips and insights -

Best regards

Oops, looks like I lied, with the supply side hose disconnected and the pump switched on, there is no suction at all. Appears to be a faulty pump. Is there a repair possible? Perhaps something stuck? Although I did give it a couple of sharp taps with a screwdriver handle, no change! Thanks again!

Sounds like you have already confirmed that you have power, and have checked suction. I would confirm that there is suction or lack there of by using a clear one foot hose connected to the inlet and adding water.
If no flow then check the diaphragm by removing the 4 screws in each corner. http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/SHURflo.pdf
Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions and link. Looks like I will be getting back to this project tomorrow. If I do need to dis-assemble the diaphragm, what will I be looking for? Thanks again!

Last fall the water pump in my 2013 Hawk stopped pumping. Called FWC and they connected me to Sureflo. Sureflow sent me a new pump and I sent back the bad one. They are self-priming, I'm told. Sureflo had no problem replacing the unit at no cost.

Update- or a short story made long!
I visited with Shurflo yesterday and they were reluctant to send a replacement without first checking my pump for freeze damage. I described my winterization process (drain system, blow compressed air through the pipes, etc. and store with valves open) and given a long week of -20F weather last winter, they feared ice damage in the pump. Turnaround on the warranty service would be about two weeks, so I just ordered a new pump from FWC and it should be here today or tomorrow, much quicker and much less hassle than sending my old pump to Elkhart IN for service!
Shurflo customer service was very gracious and not condescending, not a bad experience, even though I didn't get a free reeplacement pump.
The Shurflo rep implied that this particular pump (4009-101-A32) is unique to FWC and may only be available through them. I know that when I searched by part number I only found the FWC info that references this particular pump. Perhaps other pumps would fit as a replacement but he was uncertain.

Lessons learned:
Water pump is easy to remove/replace!
Winterize with RV antifreeze, or go south!!
Shurflo and FWC both have some quality customer service folks!

Cheers-

A long overdue update on the waterpump saga:
After installing a new pump from FWC and getting off to fish Mann Lake in Eastern Oregon (amazing place and amazing fishing, Lahotan Cutthroat, 16"-20" - even I caught fish! That doesn't usually happen! ) I gave Shurflo another call on the off chance they might have some other warranty options. I told the same story, mentioning the possibility of freeze damage, the rep I talked to sort of ignored my comment, suggested a couple of likely failed parts and shipped me a repair kit, no charge. After arrival of the parts kit, a quick install on the old pump and a check to see if it worked - voila! I now have an extra water pump and a positive customer experience from Shurflo.

Otis said:
A long overdue update on the waterpump saga:
After installing a new pump from FWC and getting off to fish Mann Lake in Eastern Oregon (amazing place and amazing fishing, Lahotan Cutthroat, 16"-20" - even I caught fish! That doesn't usually happen! ) I gave Shurflo another call on the off chance they might have some other warranty options. I told the same story, mentioning the possibility of freeze damage, the rep I talked to sort of ignored my comment, suggested a couple of likely failed parts and shipped me a repair kit, no charge. After arrival of the parts kit, a quick install on the old pump and a check to see if it worked - voila! I now have an extra water pump and a positive customer experience from Shurflo.
Otis, I will hijack a bit for the fishing portion.

Was the lake clear? I know that they used rotenone to kill off the goldfish that some @##!*^ had to release in there, but I haven't fished it in about 5 years. When I first fished it in the early 80s, we had a lot of fish, but it went downhill rapidly.

Any chance you were from the Medford area in the 60s?

Steve

Fishing is more interesting than water pumps anytime!
The lake was not real clear, maybe a foot or two visibility, although it was much clearer than last year when I made my first foray over there. It wasn't too windy this year so not a lot of wave action to roil things up. I was there the last weekend of Oregon's spring break but it was not crowded at all. Most folks fly fish, I used ultralight spin tackle and had a blast, in two days fishing I caught about 25 or so... I talked to a couple with a boat, trolling spinners, they had caught several in the 24" range. Really a very cool part of Oregon.

Not Medford in the 60's, I was in grade school in the Lebanon area during those years, fishing the South Santiam...

contributing to the hijack - glad the pump is working, by the way! - Good to hear Mann Lake is coming back. I was going to make a trip a few years back and learned of the colorful carp issue and the treatment underway.

Back To Pump. I've found these things to be pretty bullet proof. Somone left the switch on (could it have been me?) for literally weeks, perhaps months. It was running dry for a loooooooong time. Filled the tank and bingo bango bongo it works perfectly!

Apologies for taking this thread back to water pumps instead of fishing.

The water pump in our Fleet has stopped working and I suspect I will be replacing it or fixing it. In the Fleet, it is a bit difficult to get to. Otis - in your replacements/repairs, did you take off the front panel of the cabinet or just do it in place? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yep, mine didn't work in 05, when I first go it and had to take the front panel off-mine was an 05 Grandby-to fix it. Got a new pump-found out that it was a check value (was put in backwards) in the "U" of the pipe and not the pump! If I remember the pump itself, was not completely behind the panel itself, but you had to take the panel off to work on the water system which we did with the help over the phone with the 4 wheel shop, Stan and email photos back and forth. Think I'd rather talk about fishing, well on the plus side, I always have and extra pump incase my old one breaks down.

Smoke

steelhead said:
Apologies for taking this thread back to water pumps instead of fishing.

The water pump in our Fleet has stopped working and I suspect I will be replacing it or fixing it. In the Fleet, it is a bit difficult to get to. Otis - in your replacements/repairs, did you take off the front panel of the cabinet or just do it in place? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
No apologies necessary when talking about fishing!

On our Eagle I didn't have to remove any panels to access the pump, but it was a mild circus act to get to it. We don't have a water heater so I suspect I may have more work-space under the counter than in some campers.

Thanks Otis. Fortunately we do not have the water heater either. Although it looks like it will take some contortion to get the pump out/in, it should hopefully be simpler than taking off the front panel - that operation looks like a full-on pain.

Thanks for posting about Sureflo warranty service. My pump has worked flawlessly for 10yrs. The lines and pump are filled with RV antifreeze every winter, and temps are regularly -50F here. Sometimes blowing air through the lines isn't enough, as there may be a low spot or puddle in the pump itself depending on how it is mounted, and you can't get all the water out of it without removing it. Great product. FWC hid the pump well in the 04 Grandby - removing it would not be fun!

Back
Top Bottom