Wave heater reviews

MarkBC,

I guess I'll have to replace my CO detector in a few years. I remember reading a post that said the company that made ours (mine is a 2008 Hawk) is out of business. I recall someone posted a replacement unit that would barely cover the existing hole. If you find out which one that is could you please post it? Thanks.

leadsled9 -
This Safe-T-Alert, MTI, flush-mount Model 60-542 seems to be the one that's the same size.
I haven't tried it -- haven't gotten one yet, but I think I'll order one today. Most places sell it in white, but I think that when I was searching online today I saw a site that has a brown model of the same thing.
Here's a link I found to the Owners Manual.

Another suggestion (on a thread about replacement detectors) -- by Stan at Four Wheel -- is to just use a battery-powered CO detector. Lots of those around....

leadsled9 -
This Safe-T-Alert, MTI, flush-mount Model 60-542 seems to be the one that's the same size.
I haven't tried it -- haven't gotten one yet, but I think I'll order one today. Most places sell it in white, but I think that when I was searching online today I saw a site that has a brown model of the same thing.
Here's a link I found to the Owners Manual.

Another suggestion (on a thread about replacement detectors) -- by Stan at Four Wheel -- is to just use a battery-powered CO detector. Lots of those around....

My bad. I meant propane detector. I found the post refering to the replacement here:

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/product/safe-t-alert-flush-mt-12v-propane-alarm-brown/rv-and-marine-co-and-propane-alarms/160025/160025.aspx

I already have two battery powered CO detectors.

MarkBC,

I guess I'll have to replace my CO detector in a few years. I remember reading a post that said the company that made ours (mine is a 2008 Hawk) is out of business. I recall someone posted a replacement unit that would barely cover the existing hole. If you find out which one that is could you please post it? Thanks.

I see a couple of you have mentioned replacing the CO monitors. Do they wear out? If they test good are they really still good? I just looked at the battery powered one I brought back today from my trailer. I don't see any expiration date on it. It just says to test it regularly and replace the batteries.
John

I see a couple of you have mentioned replacing the CO monitors. Do they wear out? If they test good are they really still good? I just looked at the battery powered one I brought back today from my trailer. I don't see any expiration date on it. It just says to test it regularly and replace the batteries.
John

My CCI 3400 CO detector (FWC original equipment) says right on the front: "Replace August 2010" (or something very similar to that). I've seen on websites where similar CO detectors are sold: "10 year shelf life, 5 years in-service life"....something like that. My Hawk was built in fall, 2005, so expiry in Aug 2010 fits with the 5-year service life.
As for "wear out": I think it's a chemical/sensor thing. Maybe whatever the sensor is gets fouled with time...or at least possibly fouled with time and they say to replace based on the "better safe than sorry" principle.

The LP Gas detector does not have a "Replace by..." date on the front...so I don't know.

This afternoon I ordered a new CO detector and a new LP gas detector, both from the site that leadsled9 linked to above.
I'm usually not too reactive about stuff like this -- usually assume that expiration dates are very conservative -- and I'm sure they are.
BUT: I figure that the consequences of using an expired toxic-gas meter are worse than the consequences of using expired milk.
biggrin.gif

My CCI 3400 CO detector (FWC original equipment) says right on the front: "Replace August 2010" (or something very similar to that). I've seen on websites where similar CO detectors are sold: "10 year shelf life, 5 years in-service life"....something like that. My Hawk was built in fall, 2005, so expiry in Aug 2010 fits with the 5-year service life.
As for "wear out": I think it's a chemical/sensor thing. Maybe whatever the sensor is gets fouled with time...or at least possibly fouled with time and they say to replace based on the "better safe than sorry" principle.

The LP Gas detector does not have a "Replace by..." date on the front...so I don't know.

This afternoon I ordered a new CO detector and a new LP gas detector, both from the site that leadsled9 linked to above.
I'm usually not too reactive about stuff like this -- usually assume that expiration dates are very conservative -- and I'm sure they are.
BUT: I figure that the consequences of using an expired toxic-gas meter are worse than the consequences of using expired milk.
biggrin.gif

Great...mine was made in 1998! Now I have to wonder is the replacement thing a ploy to ensure repeat customers, or should I listen to the little voice you guys caused in my head and replace it???? Sometimes it's nice just being stupid and not knowing any better!
John

MarkBC,

I don't want to hijack this thread....so I'll just mention one other thing.

This is the link that I got the information from: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2849/

The bottom of the page, mtnman said that the new propane detector just barely covered the screw holes of the old unit. Please let us know how well the new unit fits in the original hole....thanks.

MarkBC,
Please let us know how well the new unit fits in the original hole....thanks.

Yep, will do.

Well,

Based on the info and help from this site, I decided on the wave 3. I ordered one with cover and shipping was $215. In transit at this moment from adventure.net. I will get it installed when I receive it and put it to use hunting. I'll update.

An update on the wave 3,

Consider yourselves fortunate, I have to get to work so, you are getting the condensed version.

Two nights in the low teens with both pairs of socks and insulated underwear, and one night with one pair of each of the former in the low 20's range. I ran the wave continuously, on low when I was out during the day, and high as I slept.
I am going to make a partion for between the cab and camper, and also a layer to hang around the upper bunk walls. I am thinking about using a moving blanket as the inner layer and the reflexit(I think that is what it is called)for the outer layer. That should make a big difference.
So, in all I am happy with the wave, and seriously considering losing the furnace in exchange for some storage space. Major remodel coming in a couple years. Mods to the truck starting this winter.

Thanks again for sharing opinions and experiences. I would not accomplished this on my own. I was comfortable.

Also, go Lions!! First time they won two in a row in over 3 years. Plus it was nice to see our homegrown 3rd string QB win them. That has got to look really pathetic from the outside.

Also, go Lions!! First time they won two in a row in over 3 years. Plus it was nice to see our homegrown 3rd string QB win them. That has got to look really pathetic from the outside.

:) How is Suh working out for the Lions? I'm a former Nebraskan and Huskers fan. There should be some good Nebraska/Michigan games in our future.

How is Suh working out for the Lions? I'm a former Nebraskan and Huskers fan. There should be some good Nebraska/Michigan games in our future.

I don,t know how you guys paste a conversation in that box, so I just do the control C and V thing. How is that done?

Highz, I don't know about good Nebraska/Michigan games. At least not until Michigan gets some defense, but MSU will put up a fight.
Suh is a BEAST!! It is hard to believe this guy is a rookie. He is dominating some good O-lineman. I can only imagine what he was like on the college level. Our Lion's QB needs to take his physical training seriously though.

I don,t know how you guys paste a conversation in that box, so I just do the control C and V thing. How is that done?

Just click on "Reply" at the bottom right of the post that you want to respond to, and that post will be quoted (in the box) in your post.

Just click on "Reply" at the bottom right of the post that you want to respond to, and that post will be quoted (in the box) in your post.

Thanks Mark :D

Back to the Wave :D with an update. Just spent two nights in 30 degree morning temps, (in Southern AZ :LOL: }
In the Grandby, with some extra reflectix insulation, my grown daughter, myself and 175# divided into four dogs. I ran the Wave 3 once it got dark and chilly. BTW I recently re-plumbed it, replacing the "flexible" propane line with a truly flexible rubber propane line. The 1st line was really intended for hooking up your home dryer not repeated flexing, glad I found this out :eek: . This line does let me move the heater around a little more, I can move it up onto the back corner counter if my dogs are moving in or out otherwise I stick the heater on its' legs on the floor in front of the rear door. On low and the inside was warm but not too much so. The next night one of the dogs seemed cold, god I'm a soft touch, so I turned the heat up to high halfway through the night. I also opened up a little more of the corners of the windows, This I don't mind because with 4 dogs ventilation is needed :eek: , not just for moisture..... I suspect it was in the 60's. I still love the thing, no noise, no limit switches, sail switches, bearings, fan squeals, no temperature fluctuations, etc.

Gene Rubin put one in his new Ocelot Shell. He's in Saline now so my guess is if he hasn't used it yet he will be tonight. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4011/page__st__20

Barko,

Good point on the rubber hose. I did not think of that. I like it.
I like the wave enough that I will eliminate my furnace at some point. We found a bunch of wool blankets cheap and are going to try them for insulation and a partion for the cab. For $5 I can afford to try it.

Fuel consumption: I have recently spent 7 nights in the Grandby, Wave 3 on low pretty much once the sun goes down until the morning starts to warm a bit. Around freezing most mornings. I also used the stove to heat a pot of water every morning and some minimal cooking and used 2 gallons of propane. So that looks like a good two weeks of keeping warm in the cold air per tank. I did run it a few hours on the higher setting. Also someone I ran into the past week said that you can actually turn the Wave lower the the detent low setting for more efficient use, didn't try that yet.

Also someone I ran into the past week said that you can actually turn the Wave lower the the detent low setting for more efficient use, didn't try that yet.

Interesting, will have to give that a try.

Back
Top Bottom