What are the must have add ones? From ATC or self built. I'm about to order!

krs1

Advanced Member
So I'm about to order my brand new bobcat and really want to know what you guys are happy you added either by ATC or yourselves? I'm usually off the grid so solar is a for sure go. Also tell me about the things you added that you didn't like. Thanks in advance and anything else I need to know in the process would be great too

Oh yeah post pics!!!!! I searched for a similar thread but didn't see any

Side dinette, full electrical and 150 watt solar, jacks, full lengthYakima tracks, Rotopax, awning, furnace and gas struts are all things I would/did order. I did not order a stove or water system. I added a 3 way refer after the fact, as my Engel was too big..

If you're going with a shell consider having the water fill door and propane compartment added to make a build out easier.

The ATC team is the best! I can't say enough good things about them.

For solar I'd prefer to have two wires, positive and negative from the roof, all the way to where you are going to have the solar charge controller placed (close to the battery). I believe that the common thing is of one wire, positive for the solar, and then using the camper frame as the negative The roof has a positive and a negative wire for the ceiling lights and any roof mounted fan(s) to get down from the top to the main camper frame, i.e., past the pop-up soft sides. However, I'd like to have the solar to have both a dedicated positive and negative wire.

If you have any special components that you want ATC to install, they will do it for you. Things like a special vinyl floor covering design, perhaps a different flame proof headliner, specific interior lights, or a roof fan that you can buy at your own price.

When I placed my order I brought to ATC my left over bathroom remodel vinyl flooring, I purchased some marine grade flame proof headliner material, some marine LED ceiling lights and I went to a RV place and purchased the fantastic fan when it was on sale. if you're not close to ATC, then you could ship them your special items, if that is cost effective.

Is this for a shell (building the interior yourself) or an ATC built interior?

You didn't search hard enough. Lots of these threads here. Solar, fridge, actually I'm happy with everything I added :)

Hi KRS1,
You can see what I ordered in this thread. My ATC Panther is being built right now and I can't wait to make the trip to pick it up.

I had a FWC Ranger for 10 years so was pretty sure about what I wanted in my new ATC Panther. Keep in mind that everyone has their own unique wants and needs. There are not wrong answers.

For my wife and me the top two things were the heater and sink/water system. And we didn't want a refrigerator or ice box and we left out the stove because we seldom cook inside (I broke down and ordered a SMEV sink/one burner unit to boil water in the morning). These choices are different than most.

After 10 years of using our old FWC, the only thing I wished I had was the sliding front window so I could reach through and get to things stored in the truck back seat. The only thing I wished I didn't have was the refrigerator because we didn't use it (it worked fine).

Enjoy planning out your camper.

As was stated above, there is no wrong answer.

In order of importance to us:
Hand-crank roof raising/lowering system (pretty sure neither FWC or ATC offers this)
Inside commode using Wag-Bags, NOT a porti-potty.
Compressor Fridge (2-way)
North-South cab-over sleeping with no pull-out platform.
No front window

I'd say assess what you can and will do, set those projects aside for yourself. Have the builder do the rest, but keep in mind that your projects should be purely additive - not changing. For instance even though you can install LED's in the lights, why buy things twice?

Thanks everyone for your input!!!! We are currently in Idaho on our way to ATC in the morning!!!!! I spoke to Brad and he is meeting us there on his day off to show us the product. From the moment I spoke to them the customer service has been unreal! Basically unheard of, I have a palomino on the truck right now with a hand crank. It's pretty nice I can't lie! I'm not ordering a shell. I'm basically having them build it all. Top of the list is heater, sink, stove and fridge, not in that order. We have recently camped in some really cold places with no heater and wife can't hack it. I have more questions but will search before I ask! Thanks again. Btw pics would be rad!!!!

krs1 said:
Thanks everyone for your input!!!! We are currently in Idaho on our way to ATC in the morning!!!!! I spoke to Brad and he is meeting us there on his day off to show us the product. From the moment I spoke to them the customer service has been unreal! <<snip>>
I don't think you'll find a better crew than the guys that build ATC. In conversations with Marty and Jeff (the owners), it came across loud and clear the quality of the product and their customer focus were equally important to them. The campers are "Built to Survive", and the customer focus is the icing on the cake. Say hello to them for me.

Safe journeys!

Not to say others are wrong, but there is no way I would drive the thing if I didn't have the window in the front and door. It is not perfect, but at least you get an idea of what is behind you while driving. Yes, the reverse camera on most new trucks is great, but I am talking about while going forward. I love the N/S sleeping WITH the sliding tray. It really opens the camper up when not sleeping. I guess they could really put the bed out farther over the cab, but stability would be questionable.

Really, they have been building these campers for years in pretty much the same way. They must be doing something right. I know the things I trusted to the guys at ATC were spot on. They listened to some of my crazy ideas and pointed out things I hadn't thought of. But they were also pretty willing to do what ever the customer wanted, within reason and legality. Remember their reputation is on the line with every camper that drives out the door. They want you to be happy and out here singing their praises, like the rest of the clan.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I'm so excited to seevthenpkace tomorrow it's not even funny!!!! I will take pics tomorrow for sure and share

So my visit was a success! In my frothy camper induce madness I walked out to my truck looked at my current palomino camper shook my head at how tired it is and drove away realizing I had not taken any pics!!!!!!! I did see the panther looked good there was several other campers in the process including a built bobcat shell and a complete ocelot. I was fortunate to meet Marty and his son Brad gave me the tour. I picked both there brains for an hour and half and cisually created the camper. They talked me into a engal fridge which they will build a spot for it where the normal fridge goes with a removable counter top over it so I don't loose counter space. It was nice with a no rush attitude and they really wanted to make sure I got everything I wanted. Great visit and really happy to get my build started. Sorry I forgot to take pics!!!!

If I was ordering any new unit I would take the same approach as I do towards shopping for food.
1) I make a list of what I need...meaning you take stock of what you are missing from your inventory at home...and in this instance, you have cruised through the WTW to see what people have, what they wish they had, what they didn't really need much and what they wish they hadn't bothered with due to space.
2) I also plan ahead for a day or to and buy appropriately....in this instance, while you may think you know what you need NOW, what about having kids, adding a dog, camping at high altitudes or deserts or staying out for weeks + at a time. This will influence what you were figuring out in #1 above. You will "grow" into the rig and may want add-ons at some point in time or be able to tow something.
3) Ask a LOT of questions here....because I can guarantee that someone has either thought over or experienced every single thing you may be considering for your unit as some have bought more than one (trading up usually) so they had to refine their lists in #1 above.

Good Luck, and enjoy the Happy Highway!

Great point and I have thought it over alternative possibilities. We have two small dogs and wife is prego. We think this would be a great fit and will find out in the long run. If I don't pull trigger I'll keep going back and forth. I am pretty sure I know what I want and need just gotta place the order lol

So I read through the ultimate solar thread and my head hurt afterwards! Not sure I fully understood so maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. Basically I will be running the stock led lights and Engel mt45 and furnace when cold which is not that often only a couple times a year. A cell phone charging occasionally also. My questions are is the 100 watt panel ATC provides going to be efficient enough for these needs? Also is there solar panel control module legit or should I upgrade? Thanks in advance

I have a 150 watt panel on our Bobcat. It's probably overkill, but it doesn't hurt. Since you're going with an Engel, a second battery and more solar won't hurt. Or, at least that's my 2 cents worth...

What is the reason for a secondary battery? What do you run in your bobcat with the 150 watt panel? Also brand panel btw

The panel brand is what ever Marty and Jeff put on. I think that most solar panels perform well and nearly at the same level.

I was running the furnace and a 40L Engel when I asked for the 150 watt panel. I pulled the Engel out for space reasons, replacing it with a 3 way. With a smaller panel on another brand popup, I had the 80L Dometic run two group 24 batteries down when parked for a few days in 90° weather.

Have any pics of the engel installed? ATC said they would build a removable counter top over the fridge so I wouldn't loose the space. How does the 3 way work? Did you not run the propane? I thought of going 3 way cuz I don't camp in hot places but figured I'd get more fridge space with less draw, I plan on running everything solar

Back
Top Bottom