What are the must have add ones? From ATC or self built. I'm about to order!

I was going to place the Engel transversely at the front of the camper, but I would have had to reduce the front dinette seat too much. Running N-S, it took up too much of the aisle. The 3 way runs on AC when plugged in to shore power, DC when traveling, and propane in camp. Be careful with the DC mode, it's a huge power hog and will drain a battery pretty quickly if there's no charging going on.

I do have propane as well as a complete AC & DC power system. That includes the Iota converter with IQ 4 module, and solar.

Did you run the refer on DC with solar or just hooked up to the alternator?

With the 3-way that I just took out (~17 years old) I initially ran it on DC only when driving the truck even though the camper has it's own batteries. Too much power consumption to use DC any other time except as a "getcha-by" for a few minutes. As changing it back and forth got to be old I eventually moved to using it exclusively on propane be that driving, camped, or putting more diesel in the truck. The only time I used the AC option was when parked in our driveway cooling it down in prep for a trip.

A std. bbq propane tank would run that fridge for way more than a week. Unfortunately the best we ever got out of it was about 45° below ambient temperature, and when I pulled it out it was barely managing 25° below ambient. I think that was partly the fault of whatever it had for insulation as 5 lbs of dry ice barely lasted a day inside that fridge.

That's a pretty long time for it to work!!!! I have a three way in my camper now and it just took a **** after 18 years. I have owned the camper for 1 year and bought it from family and the fridge only did 25 or so degrees the entire time they owned it for almost 5 years. They bought it knowing that but it worked for them with veggies etc. I trust Brad to make the engal fit where the threeway would go plus I'll get more cooling space. Still on the fence but I feel that's the way I wanna go. Of coarse Marty said he's a threeway guy all day lol. I move surf stop to surf spot to often to go from 12v to propane and back

You guys are scaring me. I like my 3-way. To get started I usually throw 3 or 4 frozen water bottles in and plug it in at home. I usually keep it loaded, with extra water bottles, sodas or beer. Have to turn it to med at night otherwise stuff freezes, albeit ambient is usually in the 60s or 80s. On the road set to 12 V and if stopped for over a couple of hr set to propane. You need be make sure your level within a couple of degrees. I don't worry too much during the day because my solar provides 4 or 5 amps. I tried to make some wind shields using some tin flashing but how do you keep it lit lit while driving. My old camper had a slightly larger dometic with freezer and thermostat and automatic lighter, so if it went off it would restart. Last trip I came back from 6 days hiking and it was cold, and some of the water bottles had started to refreeze. Ambient was 60s night 80s day while it sat at the trail head for 6 days. Camper is 3 years old.

I've had it go out on some winding nights. What kind of shielding does it take to prevent the wind? I added a low current computer fan to pull air through the upper cooling fins. My old dometic came that way and it seemed to help. Can't tell if the fan is doing much but it might reduce maybe 5 deg from ambient?

You can put an automatic lighter on the 3 way. It helps with keeping it going in wind and the original light up. The write up is several years back so it might take some searching. I believe pvstoy was the author.

Carl I made a shield for mine and it works nicely on the road and during windy times in camp.

You guys are scaring me. I like my 3-way. To get started I usually throw 3 or 4 frozen water bottles in and plug it in at home. I usually keep it loaded, with extra water bottles, sodas or beer. Have to turn it to med at night otherwise stuff freezes, albeit ambient is usually in the 60s or 80s. On the road set to 12 V and if stopped for over a couple of hr set to propane. You need be make sure your level within a couple of degrees. I don't worry too much during the day because my solar provides 4 or 5 amps. I tried to make some wind shields using some tin flashing but how do you keep it lit lit while driving. My old camper had a slightly larger dometic with freezer and thermostat and automatic lighter, so if it went off it would restart. Last trip I came back from 6 days hiking and it was cold, and some of the water bottles had started to refreeze. Ambient was 60s night 80s day while it sat at the trail head for 6 days. Camper is 3 years old.

I've had it go out on some winding nights. What kind of shielding does it take to prevent the wind? I added a low current computer fan to pull air through the upper cooling fins. My old dometic came that way and it seemed to help. Can't tell if the fan is doing much but it might reduce maybe 5 deg from ambient?

Here are the photos of my shield. I used some aluminum flashing or something similar .

Also you might search on you tube for the auto lighter.
Frank
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

I finally ordered my camper!!! Bobcat will be build by January, I'm so excited!!!! So it's been a while since this thread had some love, does anyone have updated pics of their engal fridges installed in your camper? Also what are your thoughts about them with ongoing use

So the time is ticking down to Jan for my pick up!!! The one thing I really can’t decide on is what mount for my fuel on the rear!!! I ordered rotopax but have read some bad reviews online. Just like everything there will be people that don’t like them but I would love to hear all of your experiences with whatever you folks have pros, cons etc.

Count me in the "don't like my rotopax" camp. Unfortunately I am kind of stuck with them as I designed an opening around two 3 gallon packs. I have three problems with them:
1. They are really inefficient, with the flat shape and molded in nooks and crannies they take up a lot of volume and don't store much gas.
2. The mount is poorly designed. If you hand tighten the mount up in the morning or evening, by the heat of the afternoon the mounting surface on the cans will swell and you cannot get them off without some sort of big tool, which is not provided. This is with the 'deluxe' mount, with the standard mount you would have no hope of removing it.
3. The lock for the mount (which is one of the reasons I chose them) is junk - in less than a year it has corroded internally to the point that I can't trust it and no longer use it - this is in low salt, low humidity Colorado. If you are making a product specifically to mount on the outside of vehicle at a premium price, make the parts out of brass or stainless steel or something that doesn't rust!

Get a regular 'jerry can' style gas can and mount, you will be much happier.

We use the AT gas can carriers and like them- they are dual purpose and can carry ammo storage cans as well. We use the Scepter military fuel carriers- they are quiet, don't rust and pour quickly. I made a spout for them.

IMG_3897.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

I like that ammo can mounted in the AT holder.

Did you make the hold down bracket for the ammo can or is it available from AT Overland?

Just curious, is it not dangerous to mount a fuel can above the hot heater exhaust outlet?

jimjxsn said:
I like that ammo can mounted in the AT holder.

Did you make the hold down bracket for the ammo can or is it available from AT Overland?

Just curious, is it not dangerous to mount a fuel can above the hot heater exhaust outlet?
I made the hold down strap to fit the ammo can. It works pretty well. You can see more pictures here: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/08/new-storage-and-inverter-outlet.html

Good question on the heater vent. The heat dissipates pretty quickly from that vent- I have not had reason to worry about it. It is usually pretty cold when we are using the heater and I'm not sure we have ever had fuel cans with us when the heater has been on. Your question will cause me to check it out next time we use the heater.

Ok so update is they are starting my camper build this week so pick up will be at the end of the month, so excited!!!!! I changed my order to two at carriers, one on each side, I can live with bungying the door open if that allows me to carry an extra 5 gal of water. I purchased wavier cans 1 fuel 1 water. so interested to see how they hold up, all the reviews are great. I currently only have one battery with a 150 watt panel on order, I plan on cahrging a phone and portable speaker maybe a laptop thats it. would a dual battery setup be needed? I do have a heater and will run as needed, I have a few more days to call and make changes and not opposed to a dual setup. Is this something I can easily upgraded?

Back
Top Bottom