What do you bring/pack in your FWC?

hoyden

Lady Bug
I looked through a lot of pages and didn't see this topic, so figured I'd post up.

What items have you found are indispensable to take with you?
What are things you thought you'd need, but didn't?
What weight issues have you had with these items?
What ingenious storage solutions have you come up with?

I used to haul a lot of books in my trailers with RTT's but that quickly became unwieldy and now I have all my reading material on my iPad. I still like paper books but I just couldn't haul all of the ones I wanted around and still be able to get to them.

I also have a set of the lego type leveling blocks that come in very handy.

Footman loops and bungee cords come in very handy inside. I installed some to hold a couple of the cushions on the counter top and also a plastic storage box on top of the stove for bread and chips so they don't get crushed. The bungees keep things from bouncing around inside when driving.

I use large binder clips to hold rechargeable battery lanterns on the front lift panel for reading in bed.

So far probably my least used items are the side awning and the steps. Since I move around a lot I haven't used the awning much and I haven't had my kayak on the roof yet so I haven't used the steps much. I did get the rear awning as well, and use it more often since I have camped in the rain a lot so far.

Some clothes are always in the camper no matter the season including:
Swimsuit
River sandals
Rain jacket
Fleece
Synthetic Puffy
Hiking shoes
Wool Socks

Also always have:
Folding shovel
TP
Propane Grill and a couple propane bottles
Camp Chairs
Camp Table
Headlamps
Sven Saw
Axe
Bug Juice
Sun screen

Rugged camera, gorillapod and mini-binocs are always in the truck.

I'd have to dig through the cabinets to see what I'm forgetting. Other things change out depending on the trip; mountain biking, road biking, climbing, hiking, skiing, etc.

We carry (other than typcial food, etc.) a small bbq, sunshade, tools, axe, leveling blocks (lego style), duct tape, coffee, french press, bungees, volt meter, chairs. I'm sure there is more but you'll figure out what you use and adjust over time.

Things I always have in the camper, that I always use

Travasak and pillows.
Coffee cups and drip coffee device, plus coffee pot to heat water.
10" frying pan to make breakfast.
sharp knife for food prep, two meals/two people worth of silverware, spoon for cooking
small dish drainer
two big bowls for dinner salad
disposable plates
trash can and trash bags
paper towels, dish dry towel, scrub sponge, dish/hand soap
full water tank, prepped Cassette toilet, toilet paper
plastic drawer of toiletries for each person
door mat and shoe cleaner

Things I always have in the camper that I sometimes or rarely use

Shower hose curtain
2 plastic plates
2 plastic wine glasses
Cheaper blended Scotch
wilderness first aid supplies
normal comfort first aid type stuff
2 qt pan and lid, 8" fry pan
too many spices, olive oil
alum. foil, sandwich baggies, food storage containers
cutting board, pan drainer, a few canned and boxed food items just in case
bug repellant, headlamp,kleenex, bleach towlets, cassette toilet refill chemical
down slippers, camp shoes
a couple games and deck of cards

Things in the truck I always have

leveling blocks
grey water container
recovery supplies
emergency tools
step in receiver hitch

Other stuff I pack as needed for the intended activities, camping location and trip duration.

I have about three normal packing boxes full of stuff that I used to carry in my former camper that I decided not to put into my current camper. The only thing I carry more of, now, is wilderness first aid supplies, since I have had a couple 2 days classes and have decided to acquire and have available more of that kind of 'stuff'. I carried around a lot of crap that I never used, or used once just because I had it, that I don't carry any more.

I weighed the setup and with a receiver rack full of firewood and other toys along I had 1000 lbs of payoad remaining, so weight concerns are not a factor for me.

I don't think I have any ingenious storage ideas.

But I did buy two plastic draw things so we each have a readily-accessible toiletry place in the camper, and because I have only one drawer in my camper, this has been a really nice way to help assure we have the basics along each trip.

Removing the back seat from my truck and making a flat floor with side-accessble storage underneath allows me to keep some tools and emergency stuff ready and out of the way, while allowing a larger area for the activity stuff I load up based on what the trip activities are. I rarely even need to load anything into the camper besides our clothes and food, which makes the whole process of camping more fun and less hassle.

People have posted some good lists here. One thing I'd like to add is water containers. I carry a 3 gallon Reliance container to refill the camper's water tank. Since I prefer to drink water from my home's RO system, I also carry drinking water, in separate containers.

If I know I'm going where water is scarce, I fill the camper's tank and the Reliance. I pack it and heavier items on the passenger side to better balance the weight in the camper. If I know I'll be going where I can get water, I only partially fill the camper's tank to save weight.

Some great ideas and lists here indeed!

Thank you!

I figure it'll take me a few runs to get it all sorted out and hoping to learn from y'all some "must haves so don't even not consider it" and some "you'll probably consider this, but totally unnessary" things :)

Things in the camper full time: numerous flashlights, bug lamps, LL Bean table light, large knife, TP, extra porta potti solution, bug sprays, paper towel roll on stand, plastic bowls (stackers with tops) coffee press (Gander Mountain), coffee mugs, fly swatter, kleenex box, small frying pan, tea kettle to boil water, large back pack, camera tri-pod, walking sticks, shampoo, bath soap, body scrubber, lighting wine glasses, silverware drawer with needed items, heavy duty plastic forks, spoons, and knives and sporks, along with several metal of the same, wine opener, beer opener, etc. We carry a stack of paper plates that are placed on plastic plates (throw out the paper place and just light wash of the plastic plate. Dehumidifier, small battery operated fan. Bear Spray when we travel to those locations. Hiking boots and water shoes left in the camper. 7 gallon Reliance container and hose set-up for gray water.

On our cargo carrier that is inserted in our 2" hitch bag: gas grill, extra propane bottles, grill utensils, camper chairs, camper table, tent awning for over the picnic table, and my 2 step replaces the cargo carrier when we arrive.

We also take our Kindles to read and watch movies.

Check out my blog and you will see pictures of our campsite.

And oh ya, chilli pepper lights if we are plugged in. Don't tell my wife but they are a PITA.

jd

I ALWAYS make sure that I have a roll or two of quarters and my checkbook in my center console.

It's a horrible feeling to have a nice pay shower right there and no quarters to feed it.

The checkbook is for those times when staying in a campground is necessary (I've never had the exact amount of cash on me--EVER).

We carry much the same as everyone else but somethings I haven't seen mentioned include a fake grass welcome mat we put under two of the step-ladder's feet to wipe our feet off and keep our slides out of any mud overnight. Also one of the best things my wife stuck in the back of the camper as we were just about to leave on our first trip was a brush and dust pan. We use the brush all the time when loading up in dustier environs. A rug of some sort on the floor is nice for cold mornings. We used an old bathroom set with the rubber backing and soft top.

Alan

GroovyDad said:
I ALWAYS make sure that I have a roll or two of quarters and my checkbook in my center console.

It's a horrible feeling to have a nice pay shower right there and no quarters to feed it.

The checkbook is for those times when staying in a campground is necessary (I've never had the exact amount of cash on me--EVER).
I never would have thought of that! Most excellent! Thanks!

Always in camper and frequently used:
2 sleeping pillows
Queen sheet set (800 thread count)
Tea Kettle
Boudin coffee press
Tea seeper
2 sets Snowpeak fork, spoon, knife
8" Chef knife
Paring knife
10" non-stick skillet
2 throw pillows for dinette (makes leaning into corner while reading much more comfortable)
Bug spray
Citronella (sp?) candles
REI rollup table great for cooking and eating meals outside
1sq meter glue down carpet square for wiping shoes off before entering camper. I stow the carpet square between the bed sidewall and camper when traveling. I use a length of 550 cord to tie off the carpet square to the bed to keep it in the slot.
Clean Waste Privacy Shelter (wife insists upon this item for showering regardless of our location)

We carry two camp chairs on the floor of the truck (crew cab).

Seasonal:
We pack clothes according to the season
Pacific Coast queen down comforter with 600tpi duvet.

Food:
Coffee and tea are always onboard.
We menu plan and buy food for only the number of days (plus 1) we plan to be in the back country. Since we are east of the Mississppi, there are very few remote, dispersed camping sites south of New England. As such, we are generally within a few miles of a grocer or convenience store.

I forgot we have 2 micro-fiber rugs from Bed Bath & Beyond, one between the front dinette seats, and the other in the main aisle. At the rear we have a small carpet to wipe shoes and it gets moved when the porta potti comes out. We have a couple small blue tarps and and roll up mat we got at Menards for under $10 that goes on the ground at our rear steps. The blue tarps go under the side awning and the tent if we put it up. We also have a set of Andersen manufacturing levelers. We have 2 sleeping bags (-20 degrees) and a queen sheet to sleep under when it is warm. The sleeping bags provide a little extra cushion. We have pillow cases for the camper and just bring our pillows from home.

You get the 30amp plug, from FWC, to plug an extension cord into 110. We purchased a 30 amp extension cord, and a 50amp adaptor to connect to the 30amp if they only have 50amp. I also purchased a 30amp surge protector.

We bought a portable A/C unit that we have used when camping in hot weather. It vents out through the turnbuckle door.

Just a few additional things to think about. I remeber sitting down with Sean Dempsey and showing him a list of things I planned on getting. The total amount was around $5,000. When Sean saw that he almost fell out of his chair. The big item was a Honda Generator and he talked me out of that.

Start slow and add items as you go. jd

Here's a small $5.00 item that comes in handy. Many campgrounds have the farm style frost free hose bibs, but nothing to attach the hose to.

Pick up one of the brass fittings with pipe threads for the bib, and common hose threads for the female end of the hose. It beats lifting a water can to refill the tank. It's the little brass fitting in the spigot.

$_35.JPG

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Here's a small $5.00 item that comes in handy. Many campgrounds have the farm style frost free hose bibs, but nothing to attach the hose to.

Pick up one of the brass fittings with pipe threads for the bib, and common hose threads for the female end of the hose. It beats lifting a water can to refill the tank. It's the little brass fitting in the spigot.

attachicon.gif
$_35.JPG
That is a brilliant idea

This fireplace is by far my favorite item for any type of camping. Folds flat! 3 different sizes! Multiple accessories! Won't leave without it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441911672.679044.jpg
Snow Peak Pack and Carry

I'll post my LED strip setup that I have wired for 12v when I get a pic.

Back
Top Bottom