What do you use to level your truck camper

smlobx

Lost again
In a couple of months we'll be picking up our Hallmark Everest and putting it on our F-350 CC SRW.

The combination will probably come in around 10,000 pounds and I'm looking for advise on what to use to level the rig when we stop.

I've seen the plastic Lego blocks advertised but the reviews sound horrible and given the expected weight of our rig I'm not sure they'll work.

The other option is the old 2x wood blocks but they are quit heavy and bulky.

So what do you guy (particularly those with full size trucks) use to level your rigs?

Thanks!

I, too, was scared off by the poor reviews of plastic Levelers for a while...and I used other methods to level my rig.

But I eventually decided to give Lynx Levelers a try, and I've used them successfully and happily for several years since -- without breakdown of the levelers. Sooo much lighter and easier than the wood I used to use, and they're always available -- unlike the rocks I used to use.

Here's a post with links to other threads on this topic.

By the way: I remember reading negative reviews in the past...but reviews of Lynx Levelers on Amazon are great.

I cut up some 3/4" plywood into 9"x12" pieces. They've worked well for me.

I use the plastic lego-like blocks but have found they can get permanently distorted if put directly on uneven rocks. A first layer of plywood or 2- by helps a lot. Crawling up on them in 4-low also helps.

Second gen Tundra + Hawk
Paul

MarkBC said:
I, too, was scared off by the poor reviews of plastic Levelers for a while...and I used other methods to level my rig.

But I eventually decided to give Lynx Levelers a try, and I've used them successfully and happily for several years since -- without breakdown of the levelers. Sooo much lighter and easier than the wood I used to use, and they're always available -- unlike the rocks I used to use.

Here's a post with links to other threads on this topic.

By the way: I remember reading negative reviews in the past...but reviews of Lynx Levelers on Amazon are great.

Me too-got very tired of 2 by 4's and rocks and things-always seemed to forget about them and leave them behind-never had that problem with those red Lynx :D .

Smoke

I have been using just wood blocks for years,so far haven't forgotten them.
I can store them so that they are easy to get to and yet out of the way.
They don't take up any space where more important items can go.
"A place for everything and everything in it's place"
Frank

PS, If you worry about forgetting the "plain" wood blocks,paint them,red or yellow.

At a developed campground with paved parking pad I use the plastic lego style blocks and they work great. If I am in an undeveloped area I usually prefer to dig into the earth with a shovel to lower the corner(s) as necessary for leveling.

I have one set with 4 lego blocks and also use a 6 ton hydraulic jack from Lowes hardware that I keep it in the truck. The jack was inexpensive, compact and can be used for a lot of things. Usually I manage to get within 2 degrees with the legos and with a strategically placed jack can get within 1 deg. I also attached level indicators to the couch frame just inside the door.

On my last camper I replaced the screws that held the stove top frame down with three hand adjustable screw levelers. It worked nice to finish off the leveling process. Haven't figured out how to do the same with my ATC.

We weight 7500 pounds loaded and wet and use 2x6's which were cut from wood we already had. Still on the original set after 400 nights (free always lasts, only expensive breaks :)). We found using 4 wheel drive to climb up on to our blocks helps a lot compared to rear wheels only.

rocks

DVNP-Dec-2015-168-copy.jpg

We've used rocks for a long time but got some lego style level blocks for xmas. I like the legos better since they are easy to adjust to the needed height. Also, we camp in the snow for skiing and looking for rocks in the snow isn't going to work. We don't bother with making a nice ramp with the legos. Just put it in 4L and crawl up onto a big stack of them.

I've used the lego blocks for a long time, but have broke a few on uneven ground. Last year I bought the below listed tri-level ramp which has helped in some of the uneven areas we camped, along with the lego blocks. I might get another one. I used wood for many years, but find our current system easier to manage. Like others said, 4 low helps to crawl up on the blocks with less fuss and damage to the blocks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUQOFO?keywords=camper%20leveler&qid=1455286287&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

I carry pieces of 2x6 cut on a bias. I have to replace a few every so often as they are soft and will split ( on the plus side I end with more). Spending time researching different ideas here, I had Hallmark make an access panel into the space in front of the wheel well on the passenger side where I store them.

I also carry a 6 ton bottle jack with the Bogart extensions so I can lift a corner.
1R4A6744-2.jpg

We use the plastic levelers and have not broken any or had any issues. But we are careful to be sure they are fully supported. If we get within a half bubble of level, we are happy.

I too use carry the Lynx Lego blocks. But find that I rarely use them. The general conversation is to turn to the co-pilot and ask if it is close enough to to level, their answer decides whether or not the blocks get used.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Wander The West mobile app

I'd say that 90% of my campsites require some sort of leveling. From years of rock and alpine climbing/backpacking I like to have tools/equipment that serve multiple purposes. Still go with a selection of 2x wood scraps of varying lengths/widths. I can use them to get unstuck if the occasion arises, help with unstable jacking locations, combine with rocks to level in severely uneven areas and when they get tired they make a nice addition the campfire.
I've also more recently combined technologies by fine tuning with my air shocks to get the perfectly level sleeping platform and I hate seeing the olive oil collecting on the low side of my skillet. Maybe its the carpenter in me.... :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom