Why canvas/vinyl and not panels?

crumbs

Advanced Member
I assume that the soft materials would be lighter, and over time could possibly prove more durable than solid panels. I've never seen a TC with solid folding panels on all four sides.

Most of you are likely familiar with the folding panels of an A-liner and its cousins. Maybe this has already been attempted with tc's commercialy?

Attachments

• aliner-exterior.jpg
    aliner-exterior.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 162
I believe the cab over portion uses folding panels.

2 main reasons for a pop-up. Low profile, weight reduction. The point of campers like the FWC and ATC is to keep weight as light as possible while still providing basic amenities. That tends to dictate construction methods somewhat. Solid panels would add weight up high. They would also require storage for the panels in an already limited space.

Over the years I've seen several tow behind pop ups with solid panels. Most of them have had leak issues over the years.

Yes, the panels would allow for popup operation. Your evaluation points are strong to be sure.

However, I don't believe the side panels would need to be as heavy, since the front and rear are already supporting the roof.

One advantage of ATC, FWC, & perhaps, other soft sided pop-up campers is the possibility for stealth camping. Hard panels folding inside would likely eliminate that possibility.

In my Hawk, I can sleep, access fridge, run water, & use PortiPotti, without popping top. Heating water is possible with a JetBoil, although, usually a 61oz Thermos of hot water reduces that need.

Paul

Just to be sure I'm understood: I'm thinking of panels that would directly replace the area now taken up by the soft side material. I'm not thinking of having the truck bed rail and up replaced by panel. Even still,you very well may be correct in that it would extend to far into the crawl area created during closed/stealth mode.

Yes, like most, I can imagine other solutions to the above obstacle. They of course would eat into my low cost simple to manufacture philosophy. For example, lightweight multi fold side panels that snap into place.

What sharp campers they are. ...boy, in another life...

Thanks, I do see it closer now. I can see the lower hinge too. Their panels look to be substantial. I have to assume they are weight bearing as well.

I can do everything in my Alaskan with the top down, except cook and sleep in the cabover. There is a foldout bench bed that I can use.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

We have both an Aliner hardside folding camper and a FWC popup camper. Our Aliner hardside panels do not have a tight seal in the vertical position and so are drafty while our FWC is airtight. Aliner's are very light, lighter than our FWC. Aliner did produce a popup hardside truck camper years ago but sales were very poor. The Aliner has more floor space than our FWC but less head room. We strongly prefer the geometry of the FWC, space at eye level is much better than space at foot level. Our Aliner is water tight since we were in a 60 mph wind driven rain thunderstorm without any leaks. An NCO truck camper would be a better living space than an Aliner because of eye level space and there are many different makes and models of NCO which can be very light.

I have a strong interest in a hard panel pop because I tend to camp a lot in cold weather and i usually get there on very windy highways. So I built my own because I couldn't find one that fits my needs and budget. It's basically an A-liner on the rear of my Tundra. I can still use most things (cook, use sink, access to fridge, toilet) but not the sit down shower. So far it's working well. Getting everything sealed up against drafts is the issue. Not impossible to solve but I think my latest round of seal designs should be pretty effective...I hope. Construction is 1.5" foam sandwiched with 1/8" plywood. Popup panels are just foam with poor man's fiberglass which makes them pretty light for their purpose.

Wish there more hard pop up options besides Alaskan.

IMG_20170308_073733249.jpgIMG_20170313_163717843.jpgIMG_20170313_163727346.jpgIMG_20170313_163836292_HDR.jpgIMG_20170102_151652669_HDR.jpg

kamturbo said:
I have a strong interest in a hard panel pop because I tend to camp a lot in cold weather and i usually get there on very windy highways. So I built my own because I couldn't find one that fits my needs and budget. It's basically an A-liner on the rear of my Tundra. I can still use most things (cook, use sink, access to fridge, toilet) but not the sit down shower. So far it's working well. Getting everything sealed up against drafts is the issue. Not impossible to solve but I think my latest round of seal designs should be pretty effective...I hope. Construction is 1.5" foam sandwiched with 1/8" plywood. Popup panels are just foam with poor man's fiberglass which makes them pretty light for their purpose.
I love it! Looks like you did a great job on it. I'd love to see more. Do you happen to have a build thread on it somewhere?

Nicely done!

kamturbo said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170308_073733249.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170313_163717843.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170313_163727346.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170313_163836292_HDR.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170102_151652669_HDR.jpg

That's it! That's what I've envisioned. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to guess that you had considered the other hinge side locations as well; although what you chose makes perfect sense. For myself, I would love to have it hinge on the front, but that would likely require it to swing up further to achieve the same comfortable stand up height you achieved.

Congratulations, you have a setup I envy. Want to build an 8' model ☺?

kamturbo said:

Here are some inside shots. Sorry I'm using my phone and don't have a proper fisheye to get everything.

Driver's side of the interior. Stove, sink, toilet/shower area.

Passenger side of the interior. Twin size bed with clothes and fridge storage underneath.
View attachment 27403

I chose to go with one hinged side (as opposed to all four corners lifting) for a more rigid structure to withstand the winds. So far it works
I don't need standing height above the bed since I physically can't stand there anyway. With this arrangement I can use the sink and stove like a normal person without crouching. It's actually a lot roomier because of the height and I don't ever feel too enclosed.

Would love to build another one out of aluminum or a full blown foamie. I couldn't do a "real" foamie since it can be difficult finding XPS insulation nowadays in CA. Guess i'll just wait until this one serves it's life and start the next one.

Old Crow said:
I love it! Looks like you did a great job on it. I'd love to see more. Do you happen to have a build thread on it somewhere?
Sorry no build thread for this one. I tend to get too absorbed into the building process and forget to take pics. But I'll be sure to document my next build and hopefully get your guys' input as well.

crumbs said:
That's it! That's what I've envisioned. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to guess that you had considered the other hinge side locations as well; although what you chose makes perfect sense. For myself, I would love to have it hinge on the front, but that would likely require it to swing up further to achieve the same comfortable stand up height you achieved.

Congratulations, you have a setup I envy. Want to build an 8' model ☺?
Hinged from the front makes more sense and that's what I first envisioned. But when trying to work out how the panels would collapse neatly I realized that I wouldn't be able to get the roof to the proper height given my footprint.

Back
Top Bottom