Wildfires, aka "forest fires", 2013

craig333 said:
I see this stuff and I wish I was back on the fire line. Not for long though, its young mans game. Nothing like having a tanker drop phos chek on ya to know you're in thick of things.
No thanks Craig-me wants nothing to do with fire fighting anymore and yeh, it's a young mans game---years ago we had a wild fire that came down to the street behind my house here in Susanville and bomber dropped that pink crap all over my house-still got a spot or two on my garage, yep we only lost one house on that street-the whole town was up here trying to stop it, so a little fire retardant is a small price to pay to keep my house save. Even have an interesting story to tell about that fire-as I was standing out side with all of my neighbors, water hose in hand and spraying my roof, go a call from BLM-they needed me on a resource position on some other fire-so I said "no (something you don't do)" and I think once they understood my position. I was okay. Smoky and windy here and just rained-had to turn on the heater and use my heavy blanket last night-what a wierd year-it was hot yesterday, today feels like fall-but the sun keeps breaking through the overcast!!!

Smoke

Smoke

Well, silver-lining and lemonade...I bet that central Idaho, eastern Oregon, and northwest Nevada saw a spectacular sunrise today:

VIS4_20130827-1.gif

VIS1BOI_20130827-1.gif

VIS1RNO_20130827-1.gif

We had a magnificent rosy-orange glow sunset in central Oregon, due to the smoke of other fires, a couple of days ago -- enough to inspire a couple of different friends in Bend to spontaneously post images to FB, such as this one of the Deschutes River:

Comstock_1120001_10151557743276646_2004346252_o.jpg
Credit: D. Comstock

At the time of this rosy-orange glow I walked out on my deck a couple of times and admired the amazing light..."Yep, I should try to take a picture of this...", but didn't. :rolleyes:

Riverrunner said:
Cool video on the Rim Fire from the flightline perspective...
WOW!! :eek:
Thanks, Riverrunner! Very cool...scary -- especially viewed at full-screen and 1080p setting.
I need to see more like this...

MAFFS -modular airborne fire fighting system - 6 is a C-130 Hercules. It was interesting to see the small lead plane (and I assume most communication was with that pilot) taking the big plane in and marking where to drop.

Mornings here have been heavily impacted by smoke coming in from the Rim Fire. This morning I would estimate visibility was down to 300 yards. The afternoon winds have been improving conditions. It's scary that I don't notice the smoke smell much anymore................I'm sure it's still here.

Riverrunner, thanks for posting this.

Thanks Mark for the maps.This gives me a good look at what's going on close to our place in Dorrington.Don't think we are getting as much smoke now as earlier in the fire.
Hope all is well at your place.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Mark for the maps...
Frank, in case you didn't see the link, I got these views from my favorite satellite (visible-spectrum) view:
GOES West visible
Click on a region for a more-detailed view (but their "image map" is off, so you have to offset where you click to get what you want).
This is one of my oldest web bookmarks, from back before I owned a computer and only had Internet access at work...maybe 20 years ago.

cough, cough, cough.....................................
We know what it looks like from the ground, now we know what it looks like from a higher perspective. Thanks MarkBC!

My local paper had a graph showing a huge spike in smoke on Monday. So my source wasnt' lying, it was nice the day before I left. Up by the lakes basin it was very nice, only noticed smoke when looking far to the south but when I came home I ran into it again by Nevada City. Oddly here is Sac its pretty nice.

MarkBC said:
Frank, in case you didn't see the link, I got these views from my favorite satellite (visible-spectrum) view:
GOES West visible
Click on a region for a more-detailed view (but their "image map" is off, so you have to offset where you click to get what you want).
This is one of my oldest web bookmarks, from back before I owned a computer and only had Internet access at work...maybe 20 years ago.
Thanks Mark.Looks like the fire has slowed down some.The first map you posted this morning to the latest 2:40 pm,the smoke isn't as thick. That's a good site I'll keep it and use as needed.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
...Looks like the fire has slowed down some.The first map you posted this morning to the latest 2:40 pm,the smoke isn't as thick...
Maybe...but it usually looks better (from space) in the afternoon than first thing in the morning. Ironically, though the daytime winds fan the flames and make the fire worse, the winds also better disperse and dilute the smoke, so -- from space at least -- it's less apparent.
Check back early tomorrow (but after the sun is up, since it's a visible-light view) and see if there's a lot or little smoke.

Hey we can breath (almost ) here in Susanville----My nose still runs and my eyes still burn but it is allot better, but next week I'm out of here :p !

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Hey we can breath (almost ) here in Susanville----My nose still runs and my eyes still burn but it is allot better, but next week I'm out of here :p !

Smoke
One man's clearing is another man's smoke... My son reports being chased out of Ansel Adams Wilderness by smoke yesterday when the wind changed directions. Prior two days were fine.

takesiteasy said:
One man's clearing is another man's smoke... My son reports being chased out of Ansel Adams Wilderness by smoke yesterday when the wind changed directions. Prior two days were fine.
Today---it rains---you got to love living in the west :p ---what next snow???Better shut up, it might happen, no climate change here!!!

Smoke

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom