Wildfires, aka "forest fires", 2013

Finally got around to watching the maffs video. Couldn't make it work on the road. Very cool. Perspective I never got to see. Some other pretty cool videos too. I liked the helicopter drops. Even when I was working Helitack I never got to see that. We were either on the line or doing support work when the drops were done.

craig333 said:
...Not that we're out of woods yet, the Oakland hills fire started Oct. 19.
Since Craig mentioned it, might as well think about that one -- in which over three thousand homes burned, 3,354 single-family dwellings, and 437 apartment and condominium units -- and killed 25 people, injured 150 others, according to the Wikipedia article.
Almost hard to believe those numbers...for me, anyway, (like, "three thousand homes burned?! No way -- you must mean three hundred..."), since this didn't happen in the ancient past, like the post-earthquake San Francisco fire of 1906, but just 22 years ago -- in a modern metropolitan area.

Have there been any other urban/suburban fires -- in modern times -- that were anywhere close to the amount of property damage of Oakland 1991? Could be, I guess...I had forgotten how bad that one was, even though I used to live in that area (but moved 13 years before).

Mark,another interesting thing about that fire.There was a 49's game at the stick and you could see the fire almost from the start.The TV coverage of the game would show the fire as it built up.That area is so bad with all the super dry trees,even these days when you drive around that area it looks like another big fire could get going again.
There has been work done to the hills and trees,but still loads of fuel.
Frank

I think the big difference there is the housing density. Its not at all like a normal subdivision. Houses are literally side by side. Small yards if any. Not to mention its a steep hill. Fun area to drive around with a manual trans.

Back
Top Bottom