Wildflowers Blooming Headed to Carrizo Plain

generubin

Electric Baja
My "flower barometer" is my little hill of all California native wildflowers. Situated in the middle of my driveway, this hill (picture taken today) is telling me it is time to head into Wildflower country. April 7 thru 10, I'll be with a handful of my bluegrass musician buddies at KCL camp in Carrizo National Monument. Anyone cruisin' through there, stop by and join us!
Gene

Attachments

• IMG_0542_2.jpeg
    IMG_0542_2.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 176
Gene,you have gotten out attention about Carrizo.We may just pop down there for the flowers.Any info I need to know?Checking on line water to bring and top off the fuel.What is the weather like? Will you be there April 7-10 ? Maybe we will see you there.

Frank

Frank, the camping at KCL is free. There is an outhouse there, one of those $200,000 ones you see these days that are made in Seattle. No water, no garbage service. A fire permit is required. About the flowers, it is difficult to find a reliable source about the actual bloom of flowers at Carrizo but I think they should be out soon. Maybe a week or two later would be better, but my son is headed for Germany the 12th and so we will go to Carrizo the 7th thru 10th.

Picture is not mine, but it is from 2009 flower bloom at Carrizo. I have never seen such color at Carrizo, it must have been a great year.

Attachments

• Carrizo Plain (east).jpg
    Carrizo Plain (east).jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 173
Picture is not mine, but it is from 2009 flower bloom at Carrizo. I have never seen such color at Carrizo, it must have been a great year.

Man, that's other-worldly!

Frank, the camping at KCL is free. There is an outhouse there, one of those $200,000 ones you see these days that are made in Seattle. No water, no garbage service. A fire permit is required. About the flowers, it is difficult to find a reliable source about the actual bloom of flowers at Carrizo but I think they should be out soon. Maybe a week or two later would be better, but my son is headed for Germany the 12th and so we will go to Carrizo the 7th thru 10th.

Amazing! I would love to see that bloom.

I have the phone number for the Goodwin Educational Center at the Carrizo . . . I will post it as soon as I get home this evening. If that doesn't work, the BLM office in Bakersfield is the agency in charge of the Monument; someone there can likely tell you about the bloom situation. I have never seen it quite as beautiful as your photo, however we come into California Valley from the east and flowers in the hills as you drop down from the mountains are pretty awesome. I suspect that is where that photo was taken. More later.

I have the phone number for the Goodwin Educational Center at the Carrizo . . . I will post it as soon as I get home this evening. If that doesn't work, the BLM office in Bakersfield is the agency in charge of the Monument; someone there can likely tell you about the bloom situation. I have never seen it quite as beautiful as your photo, however we come into California Valley from the east and flowers in the hills as you drop down from the mountains are pretty awesome. I suspect that is where that photo was taken. More later.

The phone number for the Goodwin Education Center at the Carrizo Plain is 805-475-2131. Hope this helps. Have fun!
Richard

We made a nice trip to Montana de Oro SP.The waves and flowers were great.Drove over to Carrizo to check out the flowers and the yellows were a great carpet of color.Talked to Gene a bit but we didn't stay the night .We felt the weather was going to get worse and headed to San Antonio Lake,not my favorite place but it was empty and lots of animals and walking areas.Friday morning we left and headed up Nacimiento-Fergusson rd to the ridge top and had snow showers.Figured it was time to head home the storm cells looked nasty.We had a great time.It was good to get out for the first time this year.

Next time we head to Morro Bay on hwy.41 I'll have to remember to bring my dinosaur hunting permit.They are right off the, road easy shot but sure would be a lot of meat.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN3379.jpg
    DSCN3379.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN3382.jpg
    DSCN3382.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN3391.jpg
    DSCN3391.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN3392.jpg
    DSCN3392.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN3394.jpg
    DSCN3394.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 148
[
Forgot the campground pictures.Montana de Oro has some nice spots and the beach is right there.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN3374.jpg
    DSCN3374.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN3385.jpg
    DSCN3385.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN3387.jpg
    DSCN3387.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 122
Frank -
Thanks for the photos/mini-report. Looks very spring-like!
(or what I imagine spring looks like in places other than central Oregon :rolleyes: ).

BTW: I'm pretty sure that 'saurs are on the endangered species list -- no hunting even on private land.

I'll be posting some pics or a video in a couple of days. We spent two nights at Carrizo and had both amazing flowers and a fantastic snow storm. It was incredibly beautiful, complete "white out" snow, not only on the mountains but the floor of the valley as well! Are rare sight in an area as dry as Carrizo Plain.

Back
Top Bottom