How about a Spring Time WTW Rally - Carrizo Plain ?

Randy P and I finished ground truthing the geo-tour road log and boondocked at the proposed dispersed camping area last night.

We had the place to ourselves and enjoyed a great dinner while being serenaded by a chorus of coyotes. Wildflowers our holding up and we were also fortunate to encounter a lone Pronghorn Antelope buck.The dispersed campsite is at least 5 acres in area and is easy to find and access. Randy P will be forwarding GPS coordinates & kmz file to Bill Harr. Both developed camps (KCL & Selby) were at full to overflow capacity. No bueno!!

It's our opinion that the dispersed camp venue would be the best option for the rally. I can post a marker at the turn off from Soda Lake Road leading to the dispersed camp area. I'll followup with some photos in a day or two once I have a chance to download.

Unfortunately its time I bow out. Started a new job 2 months ago, working a lot of time and a long commute. In some ways was hoping to finish it up by now, and get to come down. But going well and have a few more months to go.
Thanks for all the ground work. Have a great time, see lots, laugh lots, and I look forward to meeting some of you on another trip.

p.s. we picked up the northstar in feb. and has been sitting in the driveway since. Slowly figuring out the different systems. Will post some pics when figure out how to do that here.

Sadly we must remove ourselves from the list - we had a job offer and the timing doesn't align.... unfortunately as great and amazing as it would be to meet up with everyone and see Carrizo Plains, the prospect of working and earning a bit more money to stay on the road for longer needs to take precedence.

Hope you all have a great time, and drink a brew for us!

Just updated the list with changes. I will post a map to the dispersed area after verifying location with Tuff Guy 62

Been watching this and wishing we could join you. Glad the dispersed site is going to work out because I knew the campgrounds will be full this time of year. Looking forward to everyone's photos and reports.

WTW crew - Spent the weekend at the Carrizo National Monument. Concur with comments regarding the campgrounds....crowded.

Elkhorn Road was highlight. Quiet and plenty of places to boondock. Have fun out there! Rattlesnakes are active. :eek:

I was hoping for an earthquake for a good story about camping on the San Andreas Fault.

full

full

full

full

FishBamboo said:
Is this open to all WTW members? If so my ATC Ocelot and I would like to join the rally. Would love to meet some new people.
Yes open to all. Please let me know if you are coming and how many in your party.

Map and directions.

After talking with Brian and Randy we will be doing dispersed camping. Plan on bringing all you need and packing out what you use. There are no facilities where we will be camping, Traver Ranch has facilities and is about a mile and a half away from camp by Google Maps. Tuff Guy 62 will be posting more information on his Geo Tour. One thing he did mention is to bring a FRS two way radio. He will be doing a running commentary as we drive on the tour. Another is we should look at ride sharing on the tour, 17 rigs in a convoy will not work out very well. Please post up if you would have extra seats in your rig for the tour. Tour will leave around 9:00 am Saturday morning, I will leave it to Tuff Guy 62 to post up more information.

Google map coming from Stockton here. You should be able to zoom in and see detail to camp site. Soda Ranch Road comes off of Hwy 33/166 see pictures below for where to turn.

Old 76 Station at Soda Lake Road and Hwy 33/166
gallery_1903_1004_60666.jpg

Turn off coming from the west.
gallery_1903_1004_69710.jpg

Turn off coming from the east.
gallery_1903_1004_55060.jpg

Map.
gallery_1903_1004_34664.jpg

Here's some more navigation info for the Carrizo '16
I will post a KMZ and GPX files when I can figure out how to post them.

IMPORTANT:
Cell phones do not work in the southern Carrizo. No cell sites.
(Correction, Verizon cell service worked at Trever Ranch restroom)
You should download the maps you need for navigation before driving Soda Lake road.
All GPS data below is IAW these settings:
Set your navigation tool to use
WGS84 datum
Imperial units (not metric)
Standard distances (not nautical)
Coordinate type DDM (degree decimal minute)

Waypoints-

Soda Lake rd@58
35 21.0860, -120 0.3117

166&33@Maricopa
35 3.5181, -119 24.0605

166@101
34 59.7624, -120 26.0751

166@New Cuyama
Fuel
34 56.9252, -119 41.5324

166@New Cuyama
Buckhorn Restaurant, bar, motel
34 56.8847, -119 41.4130

166@Soda Lake Rd
Rayes 76 (no fuel)
34 57.8080, -119 26.7751

Soda Lake rd@Trever Ranch
Restroom
35 3.4877, -119 36.4806

Soda Lake rd@WTW Carrizo Camp turnoff
Turn SOUTH
35 3.3758, -119 36.2851

WTW Carrizo Camp '16
35 2.2424, -119 36.4952

Some point to point distances-

166@101
to New Cuyama
fuel
52 miles

166@New Cuyama
BUckhorn Restaurant
to 166/33@Soda Lake rd
Reyes 76 ( no fuel)
15 miles

166&33@Maricopa
To 166@Soda Lake rd
Reyes 76 (no fuel)
9.18 miles

166@Soda Lake rd
Reyes 76
to Traver Ranch
Restroom
11.5 miles

Soda Lake rd@58
to Traver Ranch
34.5 miles (route distance, not track distance)

Soda lake rd@Traver Ranch
to WTW Carrizo camp turnoff
0.2 miles

Soda lake rd@WTW Carrizo camp turnoff
SOUTH to WTW Carrizo camp
1.5 miles

I would suggest a AAA So CA San Luis Obispo County and Santa Barbara County (for Reyes station point) Paper Maps
As a primary map and backup map to Navigation apps.

RandyP

More navigation info for Carrizo Plain-

View attachment tracks.kmz

I was not permitted to upload the GPX file for some reason.

The KMZ file works with google Earth. It includes tracks and routes to the Soda Lake WTW turnoff point from the south-west, south-east and north.

Hmmm, its not as long as I thought. Thanks for all the info. I can take one passenger on the ride if they don't mind dog hair.

Lovely pictures. I just want to say thank you to Randy P and Tuff Guy 62 for the recon efforts. Although the pictures make it look like it wasn't such a hardship, I still appreciate the effort it took and look forward to meeting everyone. A potluck sounds like a great idea.

I'll be bringing along a few extra frs radios (couple motorolas and an icom) just in case you forget or don't have one. I'll even volunteer to bring up the rear as the ham radio can receive frs and the external antenna should give me better range than most.

My neighbor apparently has an exotic bird. Thought it was a child yelling for help. Grabbed my camera to get a pic and the battery was nearly dead. Glad I checked it now and not once we're in CPNM.

I think it'll take a monumental effort to get my disemboweled hawk reassembled, but we're going to try and get there, then off to Death Valley afterwards.

Bill, add two definite maybe attendees, one rig. Or is that two attendees, maybe one rig . . .
P1030821r.JPGP1030835r.JPG
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom