Wind fairing, too close to cab?

brp

Advanced Member
I went ahead and stole some of the wind fairing ideas I have seen on WTW. I just got my camper all mounted up, including the fairing, for the first time. The fairing is 1 inch away from the cab at its closest point. I am wondering how much the frame flexes on a Tacoma and if I should consider remounting the fairing so that it is not so close to the cab?

I want it to be as close as possible, without being too close.

Please see the photos and let me know what you know. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 165
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 166
You'll be fine. The closest point is the center, which is also where there is the least flex. I think you could even move it a little closer without any trouble. Just put some rubberized tape or something on the bottom corner edge so it doesn't scrape the paint if it ever does come in contact with the roof.

If you really feel the need to test it out, have someone drive one of the front wheels up on to a ramp while you observe the cab movement.

I am back from my trip and I had no issues with the fairing rubbing. I did not mention earlier that the fairing is mounted to the camper, not the truck. That is a different arrangement than most have.

The truck was fully loaded and I took it on some "flexy" routes. The best would be the Aspen Summer Road, up the ski hill in Apsen. No issues. I might wrap that edge in some pipe insulation for an even closer fit as well and some protection, even though I should not neet it.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom