Winter Solstice 2015 and on to Winter!

Spent two of the windiest, snowiest nights in my camper the last two nights near mammoth. Perfect way to bring in the solstice !! Too windy for riding today so heading for home.

3pins, the French Republican Calendar had 12 30-day months and began on the Autumnal Equinox, which also makes sense to me. The day was divided into 10 hours with 100 minutes each. There were 100 seconds in each minute. It might have taken some getting used to but decimal systems are much simpler in the long run.

Doug Stewart said:
...the French Republican Calendar had 12 30-day months and began on the Autumnal Equinox, which also makes sense to me. The day was divided into 10 hours with 100 minutes each. There were 100 seconds in each minute. It might have taken some getting used to but decimal systems are much simpler in the long run.
I don't know...the extra 5.25 days each year, the non-month days, seems kinda "inelegant".
I'd be in favor of this if they could move the Earth into an orbit a bit closer to the Sun so that a year would be exactly 360 days. Or move it out a bit more so that a year was 400 days, with 10 40-day months.
But even if they did that the real challenge would be getting people to accept metrication.

MarkBC said:
I don't know...the extra 5.25 days each year, the non-month days, seems kinda "inelegant".
I'd be in favor of this if they could move the Earth into an orbit a bit closer to the Sun so that a year would be exactly 360 days. Or move it out a bit more so that a year was 400 days, with 10 40-day months.
But even if they did that the real challenge would be getting people to accept metrication.
Ah, Mark, any inelegance that you might perceive in the Earth's orbit is the result of a god, gods, goddesses, or perhaps even chance so you have little chance of correcting it to suit your personal tastes. The five or six days added at the end of a given year in the French Republican Calendar were treated as a national holiday, which seems quite elegant to me. By "people" not accepting metrification, I presume you are referring to the American "people" since all the rest of the "people" in the world have long accepted the views of the French Republicans in those matters.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:

We're with you Doug! That would make much more sense. Those darn Romans!

Watch it Ski,I represent that.

Happy winter. Sacrifice on.
Frank
Frank, I'm sure any representations 3pin was making were not meant to be against the Roman Church but rather against the Roman Empire whose calendar the Church inherited. I hope this smoothed things over a bit.

This winter (in central Oregon) sure is different than last winter...
As of today, Dec 22, local ski area Mt. Bachelor has a total snowfall nearly equal to the total for all of the 2014-2015 season! :eek:
That's total fallen snow, not maximum depth...but I think snow-on-the-ground may already have exceeded last year's maximum.

No work next week and no pay but, the truck has a full tank and I haven't seen decent snow in so long I think an overnighter is in order.

craig333 said:
.......................................... and I haven't seen decent snow in so long I think an overnighter is in order.
Darn, just got done running the snowblower, could have put you to work shoveling.

Shoveling? Whats this snow shovel you speak of? I knew there was a reason I lived where it doesn't snow :)

It is snowing-lot's of snow :D -----we even had a snow plow up here for part of the day. It's supposed to hit 6 degrees as a low tonight-i forgot that sometimes come with snow :eek:!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom