Winter Solstice 2015 and on to Winter!

Smokecreek1 said:
It is snowing-lot's of snow :D -----we even had a snow plow up here for part of the day. It's supposed to hit 6 degrees as a low tonight-i forgot that sometimes come with snow :eek:!

Smoke
It was a two runs with the snowblower day here. We'll be in the low twenties tonight. But, it will be a white christmas! The house will be full tomorrow. I'm cooking.

Clear and cold here. For the first time this year, I had to go and clear the snow off of the solar panels on the pop-up! I park her in the sun and usually the snow melts off pretty quickly-maybe this is a real winter after all!

Smoke

Snow far snow good in Oregon this water-season!

From USDA National Resources Conservation Service:
NRCS_20151229-1.jpg

Of course, as they say in the investment world (when they're being honest): "Past results do not guarantee future performance", so it remains to be seen how the full winter will turn out.

I've been watching PTE on my phone each day as we've been following the daylight. Dawn has gone from 7:00am to 6:54am as we traveled farther south and beyond the solstice. Happy pagan rites to all of you as the light returns!

Winter continues!

Greater Lake Tahoe Area, CA

Winter Weather Advisory:
Issued at: 1:22 PM PST on January 14, 2016, expires at: 10:00 AM PST on January 15, 2016

...Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 10 am PST Friday...

timing: light snow will begin by late this afternoon. Snow will become heavier after sunset and continue overnight before tapering to scattered snow showers by Friday morning.

Snow accumulations: 3 to 7 inches at Truckee and Lake Tahoe elevations. 6 to 14 inches in the mountains surrounding Lake Tahoe...with the highest amounts west of Highway 89 including Donner and echo summits.

Winds: southwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Sierra ridge gusts up to 120 mph.

Impacts: travel delays...chain controls and near whiteout conditions at times in the Sierra including Donner and echo summits...Carson Pass...Mount Rose Summit. This includes Interstate 80...and highways 50...88...89...207...267 and 431. Lake waters will be rough and hazardous on Lake Tahoe. Precautionary/preparedness actions... Even light snowfall causes major travel delays... especially during periods of high traffic volume. Be sure to allow extra time to reach your destination. Leave extra space between vehicles since it takes longer to stop on slick roadways. Http://weather.Gov/Reno

Hey it warmed up here on the east side and we have lots and lots and lots of snow-with waves more on the way. It is like the old days again, The weather guy said it would take something like 260% of a normal winter snow pack just to catch up from all those dry years.

Smoke

MarkBC said:
Wetter winter getting the California water supply moving in the right direction, sounds like:

Lake Oroville rises 17 feet in 10 days
Wow. I'm not used to hearing things like this. We regulate the water levels in some of our lakes, but we are talking about 3 feet fluctuation. It's something that is never discussed by the public or on the news. This is mind blowing to me.

I guess it's difficult for our lakes to drain when they are frozen 6 months per year :)

Bill D said:
Wow. I'm not used to hearing things like this. We regulate the water levels in some of our lakes, but we are talking about 3 feet fluctuation. It's something that is never discussed by the public or on the news. This is mind blowing to me.

I guess it's difficult for our lakes to drain when they are frozen 6 months per year :)
This story is a 'Trending' topic on Facebook today.

Yesterday I received information on the numerous snow surveys for February 1st in our area of the Sierra Nevada. The average is 130% of normal. That is great news. But from my personal perspective this has been a pretty "normal" year in regards to number of storms and storm intensity. Thus far I've not seen evidence of an effect of a Godzilla El Nino, at least not in our neck of the woods. I'm not complaining either way. Let's hope at least we stay with an above average snowpack the rest of the season.

Clear skies, warm wind, and 64° outside right now..................................................................

Back
Top Bottom