Winter Spots near Winthrop, WA?

sportsman

Advanced Member
Hi

We're planning on enjoying some nordic skiing near Winthrop,WA over the coming long (for residents of BC) weekend, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for some overnight spots. Will be in a FWC Fleet..

cheers

scott

It's got good Nordic skiing because the snow piles in there pretty good in the winter. Though you know that already.

The boon docking gets pretty limited this time of year because the National Forest land access gets blocked by snow. Most of the valley bottom is privately owned. There are a couple of USFS campgrounds along the North Cascades Highway towards Mazama, (Hwy 20) that were kept plowed out when I lived there. The two I'm thinking of are Klipchuck and Early Winters. I'd call the Methow Ranger District at (509) 996-4003 to see if they or others are are either plowed out or snow free.

There is a KOA in town that kept spots open during the winter when I lived there. Don't know if they still do or not. Their phone# is 509-996-2258. I'd guess a call to either place will get you the low down on what's available and otherwise pretty quick.

Good Luck and Enjoy....

It's got good Nordic skiing because the snow piles in there pretty good in the winter. Though you know that already.

The boon docking gets pretty limited this time of year because the National Forest land access gets blocked by snow. Most of the valley bottom is privately owned. There are a couple of USFS campgrounds along the North Cascades Highway towards Mazama, (Hwy 20) that were kept plowed out when I lived there. The two I'm thinking of are Klipchuck and Early Winters. I'd call the Methow Ranger District at (509) 996-4003 to see if they or others are are either plowed out or snow free.

There is a KOA in town that kept spots open during the winter when I lived there. Don't know if they still do or not. Their phone# is 509-996-2258. I'd guess a call to either place will get you the low down on what's available and otherwise pretty quick.

Good Luck and Enjoy....

Thanks Dan

That was the feedback I was finding before my OP. Ranger district gave us a big No-no, the roads to potential sites are used as snowmobile access..

Back
Top Bottom