Winter Wanderland

The Lady got to do a lot of shoveling, 10" overnight and more on the way...........

Winter Storm Warning
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
303 PM PST Tue Dec 14 2021

...Second Winter Storm to bring Snow to the Mountains and
Foothills Wednesday into Thursday...

.Snow showers over the Sierra Nevada may continue into the
evening. A second winter storm is set to impact Northern
California early Wednesday through Thursday bringing additional
heavy mountain snow and gusty winds to the area. Snow levels will
range from 1000 to 2000 on Wednesday, gradually rising on
Thursday. Significant travel delays and difficult mountain travel
are anticipated. Strong winds will further reduce visibilities
during this event with local whiteout conditions possible.

West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
303 PM PST Tue Dec 14 2021

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM WEDNESDAY TO 10 AM
PST THURSDAY...
...WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Travel will be very difficult to
  impossible. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 18 inches, with
  localized amounts from 2 to 3 feet, are expected.

* WHERE...West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada.

* WHEN...4 PM Wednesday to 10 AM Thursday.

ski3pin said:
The Lady got to do a lot of shoveling, 10" overnight and more on the way...........

Nice to see a forecast for more heavy snow after such a poor fall.
In central Oregon the main ski area finally opened this past weekend -- the latest opening in 13 (15?) years. Even with snow-marking ability, it's been too warm.

My next door neighbor sent me a 'postcard' from home this afternoon: his deck and my car and house.
IMG_20211215_163519.jpg

This looks like just as forecast by AccuWeather yesterday: "a coating to an inch". A nice, civilized, high-desert amount of snow. :D

ski3pin said:
Nice and civilized, yup! :)
... Where you can wander in a winter wonderland without having to plow or shovel or even wear real boots.

Of course, I still want there to be an uncivilized
amount of snow in the mountains. Several feet of barbarity would be great! :D

MarkBC said:
Of course, I still want there to be an uncivilized amount of snow in the mountains. Several feet of barbarity would be great! :D
"Several feet of barbarity". I will, from now on, think of it in those terms. How much barbarity will we wake to tomorrow morning? :)

While the FWC is gone, I'm still enjoying winter camping and keeping up on the forum.

Merry Christmas to all..

Attachments

• trailer in snow 1a.jpg
    trailer in snow 1a.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 53
I saw one in person at the Reynolds Museum https://reynoldsmuseum.ca/in Wetaskawin (close to Edmonton) I think. Awesome museum, especially when they do their summer road show, where most of the cars are outside with a staff person or volunteer in every car to answer any questions you may have. We were out there once when a hail storm came through. The volunteer at the car we were at invited us to sit inside the car to wait it out. I asked about the potential hail damage, and he laughed... and said something about the metal on this 1920's car was tough enough to not even notice this dime to nickel sized hail.

Wintery in Central Oregon!
IMG_20211221_174244.jpg

Most of the fun will be at elevations higher than Bend, but that's a good thing. Besides just being less of a pain, lack of snow on city streets puts less strain on city budget...for plowing overtime, etc.

Auto body shops, however, LOVE snowy slippery roads -- it's their best season!

Looks like a bit of weather coming in tonight in celebration of the winter solstice. Anyone care to add up all those inches of snow in the forecast? I'm saving up my energy. :)

Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 34. South wind 17 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Christmas Day
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 33. Breezy, with a south wind 18 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Saturday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 25. Southwest wind around 16 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

Sunday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 30. South southwest wind around 17 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Sunday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 27. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Monday
Snow, mainly before 4pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Monday Night
A slight chance of snow before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Tuesday
A slight chance of snow after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 29.

Tuesday Night
A chance of snow, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Wednesday
A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 32.

Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 22.

Back
Top Bottom