Winter Wanderland

It might be a bit before Ski can post. No power in his area and the power company is estimating another week before they can get crews in. With no power going to the cell towers there is no internet. They have a generator and propane so are safe and warm.
I know that they got close to 4 feet of snow on one day.

Ted said:
It might be a bit before Ski can post. No power in his area and the power company is estimating another week before they can get crews in. With no power going to the cell towers there is no internet. They have a generator and propane so are safe and warm.
I know that they got close to 4 feet of snow on one day.
That's good to hear Ted. Ski posted before the snow hit, and it sounded like they were well prepared too. It is good to care for and be concerned about others!

Getting some good snowpack.

2Jan2022SWE.JPG

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We are, but let’s say our prayers that we don’t get an atmospheric river that washes it down the streams.
Or a late spring Heat Dome!

Everyone I know has power back. I'm hoping the accompanying freeze kills some bark beetles and other insects that haven't had a good freeze in some while. Folsom Lake is releasing water just in case we do that atmospheric river or heat dome. Drives some people crazy to see them releasing water but its the safe thing to do. Hopefully they get it right and we see full reservoirs this summer.

Winter arrived at 4,000' in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC at around 4:00 am today, with a narrow band of heavy showers passing as the wind shifted from SW to NW and the temps dropping 15 degrees within minutes. Now the winds are roaring 25-35 mph headed for 45 mph and the snow is falling at 2-3" per hour. We're trying to figure out where to go hiking after the snow ends in a few hours. We're expecting 6-9" before it does.

Foy

Foy we had much the same forecast here just North of you in the foothills of SW VA. The rain was suppose to turn to heavy snow about 4 am and like a little kid I awoke about then to only find rain… but as I sit here this morning (7am) I noticed that it has quieted down outside and we are finally seeing this for the first time… I know it’s nothing compared to what those of you out West are experiencing but I wanted to let you know that we are there with you in spirit>..

Attachments

• 3157950C-D164-4DCB-B2CE-65963BB8D977.jpeg
    3157950C-D164-4DCB-B2CE-65963BB8D977.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 29
smlobx said:
Foy we had much the same forecast here just North of you in the foothills of SW VA. The rain was suppose to turn to heavy snow about 4 am and like a little kid I awoke about then to only find rain… but as I sit here this morning (7am) I noticed that it has quieted down outside and we are finally seeing this for the first time… I know it’s nothing compared to what those of you out West are experiencing but I wanted to let you know that we are there with you in spirit>..
Eddie,
I'm right outside of Blowing Rock on a ridge top at 3,985'. As of now we've got between 5 and 7" on the truck and at 7:18 am we had a brilliant white flash of lightning and a close-by clap of thunder--Thundersnow! Where's Jim Cantore when you need him?

Foy

Power went out 6am last Monday morning. It came back on last night, out 7 days. We got over 60 inches of snow. Vast majority of roads in town are still impacted. Plows went through once and widened to one or 1.5 lanes. Berms froze and vehicles packed it down to several inches of ice and hard snow. Graders are needed to widen and scrape down to pavement. I don't expect schools can open until roads are cleared - this is 5 days after it last snowed. Our road - we clear - is wide and black for several days now. 12 gallons of diesel through the little Massey Ferguson and 18 gallons through the generator. Landlines, internet all out for the week. Cellphones limited to voice and text.

We spoke with The Teds last evening and said - in regards to catching up on emails, calls, etc. - it was like returning from a camping trip that we didn't have much fun on.

Just another week in the mountains.

Christmas-Storm-2021-002-copy.jpg

Christmas-Storm-2021-003-copy.jpg

Christmas-Storm-2021-004-copy.jpg

Christmas-Storm-2021-005-copy.jpg

Christmas-Storm-2021-006-copy.jpg

Thanks for the pictures everyone! I love a well plowed driveway! When we were growing up my Dad traveled a lot for work so it was up to me to blow our 400’ semi circled driveway. It took hours but when I was done my Mom always had a nice warm treat for my efforts!

I heard about the snag on I-95 this morning on my drive down to NC. The number of people who travel in the winter without adequate preparations never ceases to amaze me…

And around here they are still following Google and going down roads that are signed closed and getting stuck....

Winter is the dry season here in Everglades National Park, south Florida. But "dry" is relative:
IMG_20220108_214430.jpg IMG_20220108_214324.jpg

It's very wet here right now... but just passing showers, as shown in the radar. I'm at the blue GPS dot.
I'm dry and cozy, encased in fiberglass.
But at times like this I kinda wish I'd ordeted the tip-out "frameless" windows, which don't let as much rain in when open as conventional sliders, which I chose. Could use a little more ventilation right now. 75° outside.

But...not complaining, it's part of the deal. Yesterday dolphins were surfacing near my kayak. :)

OMG -- the Everglades are on FIRE!
IMG_20220111_200533.jpg
Look at the huge column of... Oh... nevermind -- it's a cloud -- water vapor...being fed by the warm waters of Florida Bay.
And the fire is 93 million miles away.
:p
Couple hours later a lot of that water fell back down -- hard...a couple of gallons of it into the cockpit of my uncovered kayak. This morning I released it, to join its kin in the river of grass known as the Everglades.

Back
Top Bottom