Winter Wanderland

Bend, Oregon, at 44°N latitude and 3600 feet elevation has a warmer forecast today than Ebro, Florida (where I am) at 30°N and 75 feet?!?

Dat ain't right!
IMG_20220213_125619.jpg IMG_20220213_125544.jpg

Nosir! Dat ain't right atall!

No precipitation since the end of December I've been having to drag hoses around to water plants.

Where is winter?!?!

68 degrees f today.

Same here in Flagstaff. No snow or moisture since December. It was 61 today. Expect the FS to close the forest early this year.

Cold and dry are different down here where it's usually warm and wet.

Here in the Florida panhandle, with last night forecast to be about 30°F, apparently that's problem-cold. Yesterday a guy from the Florida forestry department came through the campground passing out these flyers asking campers to unhook from the water and set it to drip to avoid pipes freezing.
IMG_20220214_112603.jpg
...nevermind that yesterday was the 13th, not the 17th. I did as requested.

IMG_20220214_112516.jpg

And the weather report included a warning about forest fires, due to the low humidity and wind. That "low" humidity would be considered moderate any time in The West.

But I guess it's what you're used to. When in Bend and someone says "It's muggy today!" I have to chuckle -- by eastern standards it's never EVER muggy in Bend!

I've been in pain in sunlight plenty in the West... when I was young and got sunburned. Back when SPF 8 was considered strong sunblock and 15 was Ultra. :rolleyes:

Without sunburn... on a late-winter climbing trip to Joshua.Tree NP (decades ago) I was amazed that it could be cool/cold in the shade, but out of the shade the sun seemed brutally intense. I probably hadn't spent much time at that low of latitude before.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
It’s back…
........................maybe

Today
Partly sunny, with a high near 54. East southeast wind 7 to 11 mph becoming south southwest in the afternoon.

Tonight
A slight chance of rain and snow after 4am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 31. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.

Washington's Birthday
A slight chance of rain and snow before 10am, then a slight chance of snow after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 42. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 20%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Monday Night
A 50 percent chance of snow, mainly after 10pm. Increasing clouds, with a low around 28. South southwest wind 6 to 9 mph. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tuesday
Snow likely, mainly before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. West southwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tuesday Night
A 20 percent chance of snow before 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 22.

Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.

Recently I noted the oddness of Bend, Oregon being warmer than where I was in the Deep South.
Well, the world is about to right itself -- in a big way!

IMG_20220220_195239.jpg IMG_20220220_195637.jpg

I love it when the world gets to "right itself"! Weather service is busy raising the predicted storm totals for here. But, it don't really count until it's on the ground. :)

Woke up to 3 inches of snow ❄ suns out, maybe small amount this evening, then 14 degrees f overnight as storm pushes out. Tomorrow night is 5 degrees.

Lil' Red and The Shoveler took care of 5" this morning. Forecast low tonight of 18. Off and on snow showers today. Sure nice to have a change in the weather.

Now a little relaxing with hot chocolate. :)

...................update, forecast is for 3-5" additional today

I'm keeping an eye on the weather at home in Bend...brrrrr...
IMG_20220222_160438.jpg

While in the area I'm camped it's different.
IMG_20220222_160014.jpg
I've had the windows open in my trailer since yesterday evening.

It is (would be) a nice temperature for paddling my kayak on the lake 50 feet from my door... but it's very windy -- too choppy...for me.

Back
Top Bottom