Wire Roof Rack - FWC

cdbrow1

I just mounted a Rhino Rack half wire roof platform on my rig. Thought I would share the photos. My replacement solar panels will be going in the front when - and if - they show up.
[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:1003]

Nice photos, thanks.

Hmmmm...must be channeling of thoughts...I looked at this brand today for installation over the cab ['05 Tundra AC] and under the Hawk overhang on Yak towers/bars. Limited vertical above bars to contact with camper has me going in another direction...I will build my own platform and drop it 2" below the bar thus giving me a lot more space to stash light but bulky items...will include tie down cleats along sides of platform..

Also the Rhino platform, while very well made, was over $200++. For up top is sounds like a versatile idea. Good access to light items easily strapped down. I am still mull over putting anything on top due to weight and added difficulty raising/lower top; plus I can't interfere with two vents and 160W solar panel. Yak tracks were a good idea but I did not really think this through. Access to top and weight up high are other issues. Ultimately for long range expeditions a small trailer may be in my future.

Our Hawk, like me, remains a work in progress. :D

Phil

The weight issue is a concern. The primary items I see up there are my aluminum sand ladders. Not too heavy. I also like having a mesh spot to toss wet clothes to dry while camped. Keeps them away from the dirt. I had 300 watts of flexible solar on the roof which was great, but it got recalled. I am waiting for replacement in glass panels. I am not looking forward to lifting them.

Yup...you seem to have a good plan on how to load out the platform...loading anything up high has negative outcomes beyond doing dead lifts putting the top up and down...plus weight is weight on the vehicle and I need to be very serious about what I want and what I need to heap on an already over-loaded Tundra..like you I have back wall steps and can access the back 1/3 of the top area for possible loading. Might consider your approach or build my own platform and forgo the towers and bars by screwing directly to the nuts in the Yak Tracks. Plus for us the Hawk as outfitted clears [solar panel is highest point] my 8' shop door by no more than 3/4" so putting bars up top would be a no-go.

The Rhino platform weighs about 25lbs but the 2 sets of Yak towers and bars are a heavy combo...consider using conduit to replace bars if it proves too much of a grunt ...this was a solution by a forum member..

300w on top...wow, serious solar..you are correct the panels are not light...one reason I have a portable plug in panel for the Hawk to compliment the roof mounted 160W.

Keep us posted on your project...good luck.

Phil

Ps...Just saw the square bars...nice touch and they may not weigh anywhere near what the Yak round bars weigh.

Cd..

Talk to me about the antenna on left rear...HAM I assume...interested in details of your set up..PM if you like or post here.

Thanks...Phil

Wallowa said:
Cd..

Talk to me about the antenna on left rear...HAM I assume...interested in details of your set up..PM if you like or post here.

Thanks...Phil
The antenna is actually a cell antenna. I will post pictures and info shortly. Not 100% sure I am keeping it setup as it is until I get a good test in.

Wallowa said:
Yup...you seem to have a good plan on how to load out the platform...loading anything up high has negative outcomes beyond doing dead lifts putting the top up and down...plus weight is weight on the vehicle and I need to be very serious about what I want and what I need to heap on an already over-loaded Tundra..like you I have back wall steps and can access the back 1/3 of the top area for possible loading. Might consider your approach or build my own platform and forgo the towers and bars by screwing directly to the nuts in the Yak Tracks. Plus for us the Hawk as outfitted clears [solar panel is highest point] my 8' shop door by no more than 3/4" so putting bars up top would be a no-go.

The Rhino platform weighs about 25lbs but the 2 sets of Yak towers and bars are a heavy combo...consider using conduit to replace bars if it proves too much of a grunt ...this was a solution by a forum member..

300w on top...wow, serious solar..you are correct the panels are not light...one reason I have a portable plug in panel for the Hawk to compliment the roof mounted 160W.

Keep us posted on your project...good luck.

Phil

Ps...Just saw the square bars...nice touch and they may not weigh anywhere near what the Yak round bars weigh.

I have a 3/4 ton GMC with the Duramax. Weight is not too much of a concern, but space is. I thought about going straight to the rails, but the wire rack was in contact with the roof in the middle.

cdbrow1 said:
I thought about going straight to the rails, but the wire rack was in contact with the roof in the middle.
Why not use spacers to get the middle off the roof?

LookyLou said:
Why not use spacers to get the middle off the roof?
I thought about it, but decided to try this route. Honestly might switch to direct attachment to the tracks in the future - just to get the load lower down. I want to see what it looks like when the Solar is mounted before I make any more changes.

Back
Top Bottom