You know you're a geezer when.......................

( You know you're a geezer when)...you find a bunch of your exact gear behind museum display glass and in protected storage at the American Alpine Club headquarters, to educate folks on" What They Used Then", and for historical significance.

Okay it's my father's stuff I've poached but dang, talk about quality goods. They also tried to snag my backpack;

" Are you donating that?!"

I blurted out, " I'm still using it!!"

Very nice Moose Dog! :)

I'll add one along those lines.............................

You know you're a geezer when your first Osprey backpack was made in Santa Cruz. :)

You're a really ancient geezer when your first backpack was a canvas Duluth pack . . . with a tumpline :p

My first backpacking trip was with my best friend Pete and his father, a genuine Downeaster from Maine. Pete’s dad used a woven pack basket with tumpline. A memorable trip for many reasons, but well over 100 mosquito bites takes first place...

You're right guys.................................if I go back that far, my first backpack was WWII surplus along with the mummy bag. I can still remember the smell of that bag. Ah, the old old days! :)

Mr 3Pin, the Marine Corps was still using those mummy bags into the 1970’s. Nothing like a hot night at Camp Pendleton, sweltering to the scent of chicken feathers (not down), and getting tattooed by mosquitos if you popped out for air.

I don't remember the mosquitos from my youth and we slept under the canoes in the BWCA.

You really made me feel old, Mr. Sagebrush, with the report of a 5 day climb from my young manhood being done in under 2 hours!

Knows he's not a geezer when he has to go look up "tumpline"....
whew!

Then recalls that his first backpack trip he slept in an "elephant's foot', and no one seems to know what that is/was any more. Guess I didn't escape.....

JaSAn said:
I don't remember the mosquitos from my youth and we slept under the canoes in the BWCA.

You really made me feel old, Mr. Sagebrush, with the report of a 5 day climb from my young manhood being done in under 2 hours!
Jim, the only time I ever wore a mosquito net, was in the same area as that first backpacking trip. On the net trip, it wasn’t because I was getting bit (DEET works better than oily 612 citronella repellent), it was to keep from inhaling them. The Oregon Cascades are the worst place I’ve been for the little blood suckers, even worse than Louisiana salt marshes and the upper Midwest.

230EE8A2-5171-405B-BB45-5A3C6778CEF6.jpeg

I’m not a climber, but that ascent made me feel every bit of my 70 years...

Way, way back I bought a down parka made by The North Face. It was their very first model. It no longer fits so I sold it to a friend who still uses it. NF replaced the zipper when it was about 35 years old.

when.....................the bad news is that you've realized you have taken the wrong medication but the good news is you are now protected from heartworms and fleas for the next three months.

The winner is Sk3pin! Ahhh hahahahaha

Hey that stuff should work for ticks too..if it repelled 'skeeters too you'd be all set

Okay, and part two for me: you know you're a geezer when you're additionally informed that a bit of your father's stuff - and your own, since you poached the extras - is ALSO behind display glass as part of a " look what they used " exhibition in a terminal in Denver Airport.

Really glad they told me that before I went through Denver airport and saw bits and pieces from our garage on display passing by whilst walking down a moving sidewalk ...talk about the twilight zone...

Back
Top Bottom