You know you're a geezer when.......................

. . . . . this was your first computer:

timex.jpg

My first computer... the 1010 Power Trig...

C0A2CA78-60A5-4CE6-977C-6B27891A0D3B.jpeg

I still have it for times my MacBook might be down. It’s in a glass case with a sign that says...

“In Emergency, Break Glass”

craig333 said:
Thanks for making me feel young! I started with a 486sx 33.
Our first office "network" was a "sneakers network" where most everybody had an 8088 desktop. We had one "server" which was a 286 machine running at something like 25 mhz (correct clock speed term?) "server" was the only desktop (actually full tower) connected to a high speed printer, a Xerox machine which was about the size of a damn coffin. When the various accountants finished tax returns or financial statements on our desktops, we'd print to a floppy (a real 5" floppy, not those newfangled hard cased 3" floppies) and we'd walk the disc down the hall to the "server" operator. Hence the "sneaker network".

After a couple of years doing that, we upgraded to our own self-installed LAN which we ran on Windows 3.0. Hilarity ensued, but that's an entirely different story. Suffice it to say I still experience blood pressure spikes every time I see Bill Gates' face on TV or on the Intertubes.

The "sneakers network" years were roughly 1987-1989, and the self-built LAN fiasco was roughly 1990-1992. I've tried my best to erase most memories of those years.

Foy

My first computer was also a TRS 80. My first attempt at networking was to use Desqview 386 to tie two computers together as a computer BBS, running Wildcat software. And I ran the Mace Utilities rather than the Norton Utilities. Peter Norton may have invented the UnDelete command, but Paul Mace invented UnFormat . . .

Back when computers were fun, and not just another household machine like a TV or a refrigerator . . .

I still have an Altair computer with 768 bytes of memory ( couldn’t afford any more memory) . Plus uncounted numbers of SBC’s (Single Board Computers).

That’s the hazard of having a vocation that is also an avocation & being unable to throw old friends to the recycler. Who knows? Some old customer may want a new feature. :p

May the FORTH be with you.

Paul

I still have and it still works the first Macbook 140 with (upgraded to 2 mb ram!) and a 40 mb hard drive and the screen black and white (grey).... the battery is shot but plugged in it still fires up... it had the super advanced ball and clicker cursor.... man I was way advanced in 1991.... peoples jaw dropped. AND it cost a fortune... luckily I had a good job back then.

One of the first high school business classes I taught in ‘87 was “Computer Accounting”. We had a lab with a dozen TRaSh 80s as they were called. I knew accounting, but my computer skills were less than stellar. But I must have impressed the principal enough that he asked me to fix/rehab a “ditto” machine. Whoa! Now we had two on campus for 35 teachers!

Ah the ditto machine... I’d go into the bank and the teller would say “so how’s teaching?” .... how’d you know I was a teacher I asked..... says”you’ve got chalk all over your back and a blue ditto sheet smear on your forehead”

My first computer experience was during my senior year when the engineering department got its first analog computer consisting of many differentiating and integrating amplifiers connected with jumper cables.

Our school used Mimeograph machines (competing technology). I can still remember the unique smell.

My only experience with an analog computer was in a controls class. We had to use one to balance an inverted pendulum on a motorized cart (1 DOF).

My laptop says "Etch-a-Sketch" across the top and when it locks up I hold it over my head and shake it! Never fails!!
Bigfoot Dave

Back
Top Bottom