You know you're a geezer when.......................

Siri is my nemesis, and when I give her certain colorful directions, she just says “I won’t respond to that.” She seems rather thin skinned.

Every once in a while you can find an Easter Egg buried in the software. When you typed “I want to kill Bill Gates.” into the thesaurus in an early version of MS Word, the reply was “So do I.”.

Most people don't even know what Monkey Wards is.

I have a 10" table saw I bought from them about 50 years ago.
Still going strong. I've made a lot of furniture and some construction projects.

The only thing I've had to it do besides sharpening the blades are a
couple new drive belts.

We are dating ourselves Ski.
Frank

Absolutely, I remember them. They were the automotive/hardware store of choice in small towns in western NC when I was in high school.

Haven’t heard that name in a geezer’s age.
Paul

PaulT said:
Absolutely, I remember them. They were the automotive/hardware store of choice in small towns in western NC when I was in high school.

Haven’t heard that name in a geezer’s age.
Paul
Yup, there were Western Auto stores all over NC and VA. They were a big chain in these parts long before Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, CarQuest, etc. Bought a lot of motor oil and oil filters at the WA in Madison, VA.

The Western Auto that used to be in Ojai, CA I remember as sort of a hybrid between an auto parts store and a hardware store. I think that I was only ever in there once, looking for a tube for my pre- BMX era 20" bike.

Now the Coast Hardware that was in Redmond, OR; I was in there a lot in my youth. Clyde didn't carry actual auto parts, but he had just about anything else.

Western Auto and all other stores were closed on Sundays. It was a big to do when stores started to be open on Sunday. Is that Geezerhood???

One of the last Western Auto stores I saw was in Sonora Ca.
It closed 20+ years ago what I remember was the beautiful signage
on the store facade. I think when it closed the signage went to some antique stores.

Growing up in Eastern Pa I remember the Blue laws.Just about everything closed on Sundays.

We find that in Spain when we travel there.Not all stores though.

Frank

pvstoy said:
Western Auto and all other stores were closed on Sundays. It was a big to do when stores started to be open on Sunday. Is that Geezerhood???
Yup, even into the early 1970s when I started driving (and, strangely enough, breaking cars), auto parts stores were closed on Sundays. Our downtown Raleigh NAPA regional warehouse/store was only open until noon on Saturdays. Local blue laws persisted for a few more years after that time, and resulted in the availability of pretty much nothing on Sundays. Last time I went to a NASCAR race at Talladega, Alabama around 10 years ago, one could not buy beer on Sundays in either Georgia or Alabama--except at the track, of course!

Growing up in western Pa, I remember the blue laws, but I also remember that you could go private club on Sundays for alcohol. Every Catholic and Orthodox church in our town had their associated club: Knights of Columbus, Polish Falcons, Ukrainian National Alliance, and so on. For vets, there was the VFW and the American Legion.

I remember shooting pool one Sunday afternoon while drinking a beer many, many years ago. A large statue of the Virgin Mary was in the corner next to the table and a supersized portrait of the pope was overlooking the pool table. It was somewhat surreal as the jukebox was playing Janis Joplin.

OutToLunch said:
Growing up in western Pa, I remember the blue laws, but I also remember that you could go private club on Sundays for alcohol. Every Catholic and Orthodox church in our town had their associated club: Knights of Columbus, Polish Falcons, Ukrainian National Alliance, and so on. For vets, there was the VFW and the American Legion.

I remember shooting pool one Sunday afternoon while drinking a beer many, many years ago. A large statue of the Virgin Mary was in the corner next to the table and a supersized portrait of the pope was overlooking the pool table. It was somewhat surreal as the jukebox was playing Janis Joplin.
That's a great story!

Back
Top Bottom