You know you're a geezer when.......................

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Blue Laws... no booze on Sunday.
I'm in SC, no not southern california.
The blue laws were a big pain- most are gone now,
I remember going in a grocery store, near Columbia, SC on a Sunday circa 1969.
Picked up a 1/2 gallon of ice cream and a scoop.
Got to the register and was informed I could buy the ice cream but not the scoop- it was against some blue law to buy non-essential non-food items on Sunday!

Side note- my father retired from the USMC and we moved from SC, this time southern california, to SC aka South Carolina in the late 60's.
Talk about culture shock!
I was a teen then and was horrified..

In the Northeast... puritan-ville... we could play stickball in the streets on Sunday as there weren't but a few cars per hour (Sunday family drive)... nothing was open... I loved it until I was older and "needed" something. We live so many miles from another state line so there were thin blue laws that allowed somethings within 10 miles of the border to be sold. There is an old joke: What's the best beer ever? ..............the one you find in the back of the fridge on Sunday.

The transition from everything closed on Sunday to everything open went thru some weird stages. At first only. certain items could be sold. Then as more items were ok, they started to turn off lights and throw tarps over the items not to be sold. Alcohol products were the last items that were ok to sell.
Every county was different. We used to say it was the bootleggers and certain preachers that kept our county dry for so long.

Paul

I remember that.... and just a few months ago I had to travel to do a window visit with my mom in a care facility. I left early Sunday morning as it is a 5 hour round trip drive and stopped at the store to buy some beer for later. A wine and beer section which was open. As I got to the register I was s told I had to wait until 10AM to buy beer... so I asked why was it open... "People like to shop" was the answer. So I brought it back to the shelf.... and just looked at it.

PaulT said:
We used to say it was the bootleggers and certain preachers that kept our county dry for so long.

Paul
Paul, you surely remember that one could not buy a mixed drink (cocktail) in a restaurant or a bar in NC until 1978. Buying hard liquor was considered some sort of deviant behavior notwithstanding the fact that the State was the sole retailer of liquor through their ABC store networks. It still is, but NC has had "liquor by the drink" for 42 years now.

As the matter was debated in the NC General Assembly in the years leading up to the change in 1978, a rallying cry emerged:

"North Carolina won't have liquor by the drink as long as the Baptists can stagger to the polls"

Pennsylvania has the same alcohol rules mostly.
The state controls the sales in their own outlet stores.
I think there are a few stores that are allowed to sell wine/beer.
Like a Safeway but there has to be a separate store attached to the
main store for liquor sales.

I've also seen this in Alaska where alcohol has to be separate from
the other items in the store.

I still have my LCB card issued in 1964 photo ID for buying alcohol.
Sure is great to live in a state where we don't have those restrictions.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
They went BY BY with Pontiac,Olds ,Kaiser, Packard,Hudson,AMC,shall I go on?

A lot of great cars have vanished into the great beyond.
Frank
My first car was a Studebaker Lark.

Back
Top Bottom