You know you're a geezer when.......................

......................................when I don't mean to interrupt people. I just randomly remember things and get really excited.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
As a time capsule touchpoint: they mention Idlewild, the airport, which has been known for years as JFK.
Great to see that Idlewild nuance picked up, Mighty Dodge Ram!

You know you're a geezer when you know how Idlewild was involved in late 1960s/early 1970s music.

Foy said:
Great to see that Idlewild nuance picked up, Mighty Dodge Ram!

You know you're a geezer when you know how Idlewild was involved in late 1960s/early 1970s music.
OK, since it's been a couple of weeks, my guess is most of the regulars don't know, or much care, how the former name for JFK airport in NYC was involved in late 1960s/early 1970s music.
Idlewild Airport was the common name for the airport built as a second NYC area facility to relieve pressure on LaGuardia Field. The facility opened in 1948 while disputes over the official name continued. Most simply referred to it as "Idlewild" after the golf course/country club facility from which the original 1,000 acres of land was taken for the initial construction.
In December 1963, just weeks after President Kennedy was killed in Dallas, Idlewild was renamed JFK International without opposition.
Fast forward to the late 1960s when the Macon, Georgia band "The Allman Brothers" were beginning to take off (pun intended) largely as a result of putting out terrific live performances supporting their less acclaimed first album. One of the members rented a small cabin on a small lake just outside of Macon (referred to as a fish camp on a pond here in the South) and the band used it as a rehearsal space and Class A party house. Before long, band members and their entourage were coming and going all the time, such that someone said the place was "as busy as Idlewild". The name "Idlewild South" was thus applied to their second studio album which was released in September 1970. Idlewild South was recorded over a long (for the time) period of months as the band continued to tour relentlessly and included some of the tracks from the album in live performances weeks to months prior to the album's release.
Younger readers may think of the Allman Brothers' Idlewild South facility as a precursor to the "Love Shack" popularized by the B-52s nearly 20 years later, but with less 'big hair" and a whole lot less dancing. Even younger readers may not know what the heck "Love Shack" even means in the context of music history.

Foy

Boy, I guess I really need to work on my geezerdom credentials. I did not know that Foy. All I know about is that house in Bolinas Jefferson Airplane used for parties.

Wow Foy you have taken us far back in the "way back machine".
In my "youth" my big thing was American Bandstand with Grady and Hearst.
Then after it moved to Philadelphia it was AB with Dick Clark.
Thanks
Frank

Very cool Foy. I never heard that before. My family on my moms side owned a house in Bolinas. Sold it before the property values soared of course.

Then there was the Big Pink house in West Saugerties New York where The Band and Dylan's Basement tapes were recorded.

Like I told the guy at the gas station the other day:

"I'm old enough to remember when the gallons wheel revolved faster than the dollars wheel"

JaSAn said:
. . . we could pool our pocket change to go cruising on Friday night.
The Last Ride:

It was a sunny but cool Saturday afternoon in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina in August 1976. Being late in the month, both my roommate and I were flat broke when a hankerin' for a cold can of Stroh's Fire Brewed suds arose. We each searched all of the usual places--change cups, his VW beetle floorboard, my IH Scout floorboard, under the couch cushions, and more. Our target was $1.97, that being the exact price of a 6-pack of said suds, plus NC sales tax, over at the Speckled Trout store in the nearby town Blowing Rock. We managed to scrape up (literally) the change, and I hopped on my Suzuki 250 Enduro, a single cylinder 2 stroke which ran like a scalded cat. Very fast bike. I rode over to BR on Shull's Mill Rd, a collection of paved back road curves with nary a hundred yards of straight road to be found. Only had to pass a couple of lumbering Florida tourist Cadillacs along the way, and the quickness of the bike made that possible with little risk. On the return trip, a sudden burst of inspiration (or insanity?) struck, and I decided to see how fast I could make it back to our house atop the ridge. Normally about a 15-18 minute trip, by keeping the throttle WOT or all the way off, and clamping down on the brakes hard at each curve, and by passing a good dozen Floridians on the straight-ish sections, I came screaming up the mountain on the last mile of two-track private road like an MX racer and slid into the driveway in 9 minutes flat. Within a few minutes, I reflected on just how stupid of a stunt that was and began shaking upon that realization. I sold the bike the following Thursday, convinced I was too dumb to ride a bike on the highway. I haven't done so since that very day.

This particular geezer is fortunate to have lived long enough to become one.

Foy

Another geezer moment hit me this past week. I was thinking about trying to reconnect with some of my diving partners from the Hawaii days.

Professor Google returned three obituaries. The expiration date in the mirror may be closer than we realize.

Unfortunately, what you say is true about finding empty chairs when you go looking for old friends. But, by god, I'm not going down without a fight. Kind of along the lines of a quote attributed to Clint Eastwood, "Don't let the old man in."

Yup. My first realization that I was old was when my managers at work were young enough to be my kids.

Then it was when the obituaries were for persons younger than me.

Now it is saying goodby to friends.

Time is short - I need to prepare for finals.

PaulT said:
I remember when you had to multiply the dollars amount by 2 because the price/gal could not exceed 99.9 cents.

Paul
And when the price went above $1.00/per gal,they had to "cut" a new hole in the window that showed the price.
Until a whole new panel was replaced on the pump.

Ah the "good" old days gas 24.9 per gal.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom