You know you're a geezer when.......................

You know you are a geezer when you are asked by the Canadian Border Agent if you have ever been to Canada before and your wife says immediately no and I say when I was young. He asked a couple more times. Actually we were in Vancover B.C. in 2009 around the same time of year, in fact the year of the Vancover Winter Olympics. 6 years ago. The guy must have thought we were hiding something and stuck a yellow card on the windshield and directed us to drive under the building and await directions. 2 guys came and had us get out of the truck with the dog. They went through the truck, camper, and cargo carrier. They asked a bunch of questions, including if we had firearms, if we ever owned firearms, then sent us into customs and immigration where they took our passports and did a background check. After 40 minutes we were on our way. Even with that driving through Canada was a far better option than Cleveland, Ohio. Next time the geezers will play 20 question of possible questions one might be asked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

longhorn1 said:
You know you are a geezer when you are asked by the Canadian Border Agent if you have ever been to Canada before and your wife says immediately no and I say when I was young. He asked a couple more times. Actually we were in Vancover B.C. in 2009 around the same time of year, in fact the year of the Vancover Winter Olympics. 6 years ago. The guy must have thought we were hiding something and stuck a yellow card on the windshield and directed us to drive under the building and await directions. 2 guys came and had us get out of the truck with the dog. They went through the truck, camper, and cargo carrier. They asked a bunch of questions, including if we had firearms, if we ever owned firearms, then sent us into customs and immigration where they took our passports and did a background check. After 40 minutes we were on our way. Even with that driving through Canada was a far better option than Cleveland, Ohio. Next time the geezers will play 20 question of possible questions one might be asked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app
great story John!

billharr said:
Been there done that. Lots of options, time to start educating yourself.
Thanks Bill, I've been doing that. I'm not concerned. I was surprised, but pleased to have an answer to the changes in my vision.

I just read a great quote in "The Very Hard Way - Bert Loper and the Colorado River".

Per Bert... "I'm not old. I've just been around a hell of a long time."

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I just read a great quote in "The Very Hard Way - Bert Loper and the Colorado River".

Per Bert... "I'm not old. I've just been around a hell of a long time."
Very nice!

Yep, not only did I learn I'm developing cataracts but two of my younger friends are, too. Just been around a hell of a long time sounds about right.

socks1-300x232.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Where I went to college, the only way we knew it was winter was when people had wool socks and Birkenstocks.
There is much truth in this statement

This happened about 5 weeks ago and I'll fess up about it. Two geezers are involved in this one.........................................

We bought the Lady a new car. At this time we were also dealing with the Lady's father in the hospital and then in skilled nursing for several weeks. Related to that, a few days after buying the car we had to be in Folsom, a quick late afternoon trip, after work. We had business in an office located in one of these big strip malls with a huge parking lot. This is Folsom that wants to be upscale so there are trees and landscaping. We parked the new car out away from other vehicles. It is new, we didn't want the doors banged, and it is our habit - we enjoy the walk. Done with the appointment, 45 minutes later, we are returning to the car and cannot find it. Where did we put it? What does it look like? We cannot find the car. After some pointless wandering and looking and growing apprehension, I remember this new car has a fancy key with a "find me in the parking lot button." Yeah, but how does it work? How many times do you have to push it? I rotate around in a circle with the key outward pushing the button. The Lady is using her hawk eyes and owl ears. We see no flashing lights. We hear no horn honking. We know the year, make, model, but we are doubting our memory of what the car really looks like. We are also becoming convinced the new car has been stolen. Damn. Someone stole our new car? Really? It has now been around ten minutes. We decide to do what we teach folks to do in the outdoors in times of stress - STOP - Stop, Think, Organize, Plan.

Our plan is to do a systemized grid search of the parking lot before calling the cops. We will work from west to east, up one roll and down another. I will be in one roll, the Lady will be in the next roll. We will move in unison and I will push that "find me in the parking lot" button on the key. On the fourth roll, way off in the distance, I hear a horn honk. "Is that what the new car's horn sounds like?" I ask the Lady. We see no lights flash. I hit the button again and again. The Lady heads in the direction of the sound and finds the car. Although we had parked it away from other vehicles, three vehicles parked right around it, hiding it from sight. That's the story we've agreed on.

Sadly Ski that can happen to anyone.
We have a new to us 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid,great car,BUT,no radio aerial it's in the rear window.
With our other cars we had one of those balls on the aerial.Can't do that with this one.Also other cars had my special roof rack to hold the canoe plus 3"x4' tube on each side to hold fishing rods and walking sticks.
All that extra stuff made it easier to locale but with this car I haven't put the canoe rack on top yet.
Also the car is white.
Oh well the panic button works to locate it.
Not a Geezer,just old and wise.
Frank

During my brief stint as a security guard in a building with a six story parking garage I helped find many "stolen" cars. Never failed to find their car but when all they can tell you is "its a white toyota" doesn't make it any easier.

Actually one of the reasons I love my ATC is that is sticks up just enough that I can easily find my car in the parking lot. Seems like everyone in town has a silver Tacoma. But I sure could relate to your story.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom