2005 Eagle on a Harbor Freight #62647 single axle trailer

solinski

Unfortunately I no longer own a Tacoma to haul my 2005 Eagle. I'm tired of tent camping especially when its snowing and 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm thinking about mounting my Eagle on a Harbor Freight #62647 trailer, load rated capacity 1720 lbs.bed size 48"x96", single axle with 5 lug 12" wheels. Eagle fully loaded approx.1200 lbs. I will be pulling with a 2001 Toyota 4Runner 4x4. Has any one seen a set up like this? Suggestions? Thoughts negative or positive? Buying another truck is not an option. All input is appreciated! Solinski

Yes I have seen it. Tyler Ligon pulls his hawk on a trailer, but I believe his is an old military trailer. He is on Facebook Four Wheel Campers Owners Group.

Tyler has a military trailer and he said he wouldn't consider using the Harbor Freight Trailer. I think it is risky also. It isn't very well built, even if the Fleet weight is significantly less. Search for military trailers. They are available. You really need to check his pictures on Facebook.

His trailer is an M116A3
He has great pictures on Facebook FB_IMG_1576440416992.jpeg

If it were me, I’d look for a larger capacity trailer with bigger diameter wheels. My guess is you’ll want corner jacks to steady it when you’re inside.

You should see the completed set-up. It is really awesome. I'll try to get one. jd
Wandering Sagebrush said:
If it were me, I’d look for a larger capacity trailer with bigger diameter wheels. My guess is you’ll want corner jacks to steady it when you’re inside.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
If it were me, I’d look for a larger capacity trailer with bigger diameter wheels . . .
Agree. If you can find one with the same bolt pattern as your 4Runner. You only need to carry 1 spare (and have 2 extra wheels for a real emergency).

The Harbor Freight trailers are only thin rolled steel, not C-channel like a heavy-duty trailer would be. I don't think it would hold up well at all, especially if you wanted to haul it on dirt roads (which is what FWCs are made to do). It would be hard on both the trailer and the camper. Trailers really take a beating on dirt roads (especially washboard), and anything less than a well built one will cause you problems. When you haul a trailer you need to drive slowly (10 mph-15 mph or slower) on dirt roads and they still are airborne a large percentage of the time. I drive to Baja a lot, haul a Ruger Offroad Trailer behind my Grandby, and am still learning the limitations of a trailer on dirt roads. I think you will be at Max capacity on the Harbor Freight trailer with max pressure in those little tires, plus you will probably load gear into the camper, plus water and batteries. Maybe ok for short trips on pavement, but not for the kinds or trips you would have done in your Tacoma. BTW an Eagle will take your Tacoma to MSRP without filling it full of gear. Just my opinion, having made trips to Baja since 1992, always pulling some sort of trailer.

Another option would be to buy a good used tandem axle flatbed trailer. The last thing you want to do is wreck your FWC.

There's no way I'd put your Eagle on this trailer. I don't know how they come up with 1720 lbs, but this thing looks like it would collapse the first time you hit a pothole going 55 MPH. Go to a proper trailer dealer and get something with good suspension and full size wheels.

62647_zzz_500.jpg

Check out the thread "Hawk on a Utility Trailer - It can be done!" I'm the one who started it with my Hawk on an Eagle Lightspeed utility trailer.

I must say that if you're traveling out of town at highway speed you won't be happy using such a lightweight trailer as the Harbor Freight model you suggest. You don't need something like Tyler's military trailer if you're not going off-road, but I suggest getting a sturdy utility or landscape trailer if you're serious about this.

Consider looking for a good used raft/utility trailer. The one I have has 13" tires, axle suspension and is welded up from heavy steel. Way overbuilt for our raft, but have had no problems over many years on a lot of backcountry roads.

No way would I consider that trailer for your application. Much too light duty. Springs are way too short and stiff. no suspension dampers (hint: trailers rarely have these, but you're going to want them). Wheel bearings are way too small. Most guys building off-road trailers start with a 3500 lbs. rated axle. Not because their trailers will weigh anything close to that, but because that is the point where the wheel bearings are finally big enough to work and live off-road under a sub 2000 lbs gross trailer.

Only need two leveling jacks or struts at the rear corners of the trailer; use the tongue jack at the front. Three points is much easier to work with than is 4.

I have one of those Harbour Freight trailers.. I use it as my camper dolly and it works great!

No way would I drive down the road with my camper attached to it... never, nope, no way...

BBZ said:
I have one of those Harbour Freight trailers.. I use it as my camper dolly and it works great!

No way would I drive down the road with my camper attached to it... never, nope, no way...
Same here, I only use it to ferry the camper in and out of the garage.

If you don't mind investing a few $$ upfront, I would highly suggest one of the Iron Eagle Trailers.

http://www.ironeagletrailers.com/ironeagle/flatbed-trailers/3000/

There is a dealer in Red Bluff, CA

We have probably bought 8 - 10 of these trailers for our factory and dealers.

Full sized wheels, 3000 lbs load capacity, and fit the campers nearly perfect.

Details on what we usually order . . .

[SIZE=10pt]Iron Eagle Trailer -- 4x8 -- 3000 series with rear stabilizers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]10 j hooks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]all other standard features[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]$1349 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]dmv $41[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]doc $75[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]state tire fee $3.50 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Sales tax $117.48[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Total 1585.98[/SIZE]

For a little extra $$, they will also build a 4' x 10' model.

[SIZE=10pt]Trailering U[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]6050 hwy 273[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Anderson, ca. 96007[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]530-365-8913[/SIZE]

There is another thing to think about; that is the idea that these light trailers have no brakes, and the vehicle you will be pulling with is not all that heavy. Think about what could happen in an emergency situation where you need to stop suddenly or swerve. I would suggest that a 4' wide trailer on skinny tires would tend to be top heavy with a FWC on it. Believe me, a trailer can take on a life of its' own if you get in a tight situation. A trailer with brakes can help you stop better, but a top heavy load is something you should be worried about and requires carefull driving. A sway control bar can also help. Also 10% to 15% of total trailer weight needs to be on the tongue to prevent sway so you would need to mount the camper toward the front of the trailer--just basic trailer requirements.

I would agree with others here that the Harbor Freight trailer would not be the one to haul your camper over road. I, in fact, have one that I use to move my Hawk in and out of winter storage. While it is perfect for this application, I wouldn’t want to trust it for any meaningful distance.

Back
Top Bottom