84 Fleet - 09 Tacoma - Project

buckland said:
Just entering your 'journey' .... holy toledo! You are helping a lot of folks who are visual learners and will be now willing to try their own. Incredible documenting the process!
Thanks so much. Yes, I hope it helps others! Glad you are joining us now!

PokyBro said:
Tim,

What an awesome job you've done in videoing the construction of a side liner. As Buckland said, it will be invaluable to many who have hesitated to try to tackle such a job, but have wanted to give it a try. The video is very thorough, and covers the real world aspects of what you encounter. You were so fortunate to have facilities and equipment to do the job. I did mine in my basement, and cut everything out with scissors on the floor. Not sure how long yours took, but I spent about 20 hours, as I was being very careful to get it right the first time, given the material costs. You obviously took the same approach with careful planning, measuring, cutting and sewing. You should be very pleased with the results, it turned out great. A capable assistant must have been priceless as well.

Thanks for posting your video....kudos to you!

Poky
Thanks poky!! Glad you find I covered most of the details well. And yes I know how fortunate am I to have awesome facilities. So even more kudos to you for pulling it together in your situation. I have no idea how much time I spent on it, but I would guess it was more than 20hrs. I did a lot of 1-2 hour chunks but I now that really added up.

Thanks again for all your guidance and answering my questions.

Thanks for sharing all of this. I recently purchased a 83 or 84 Fleet and I am obsessed. Thankfully it was gutted already and in pretty good shape, new insulation and walls. Removed kitchen and set up to be off grid. My wife really wants to tackle the canvas this winter as its a bit rough.. When will we see the video on how to install?? She has 3 industrial sewing machines so I think we can handle the sewing part pretty well.

BBZ said:
Thanks for sharing all of this. I recently purchased a 83 or 84 Fleet and I am obsessed. Thankfully it was gutted already and in pretty good shape, new insulation and walls. Removed kitchen and set up to be off grid. My wife really wants to tackle the canvas this winter as its a bit rough.. When will we see the video on how to install?? She has 3 industrial sewing machines so I think we can handle the sewing part pretty well.
tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. I will post it tomorrow. I have about 1/2 of it done. The video is this weekends project. Any specific questions you want me to cover?

Hi All.

Back at it with the final video in the canvas sage. Part 3 covers installing the canvas to the four wheel camper and some discussion of finishing items. I also talk about how much the entire project cost. Hope you enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions

Best - Tim

Tim,

Great job on yet another video how-to. I'm sure seeing how things came together for you will help others in the future.

I must have gotten lucky when I chose to sew my four panels together with machine, into one round piece vs your hand sewing the last seam once on the camper. As you recall, mine took two attempts to get it ready for install. I had a space on the bottom trim pieces where they came together, but not the top. as you said though, no big deal.

Great job, thanks for sharing.

Poky

Thank you for sharing this.. so much useful information!

Where did you get the vinyl piece that covers the screws on the lower attachment? and the trim for the top?

Tim,

Great job on yet another video how-to. I'm sure seeing how things came together for you will help others in the future.

I must have gotten lucky when I chose to sew my four panels together with machine, into one round piece vs your hand sewing the last seam once on the camper. As you recall, mine took two attempts to get it ready for install. I had a space on the bottom trim pieces where they came together, but not the top. as you said though, no big deal.

Great job, thanks for sharing.

Poky

As always thanks Poky. Glad you enjoyed it! I think you are mistaking luck for skill on your part!

Thank you! The metal trim was what was the camper already. The vinyl piece that covers the screws is a standard camper part.

Thank you for sharing this.. so much useful information!

Where did you get the vinyl piece that covers the screws on the lower attachment? and the trim for the top?

vinyl trim - http://bit.ly/trimmmm

I used a lot of this vinyl when redoing all the trim and windows before.

Back with yet another video. This time with the door rebuild which I already covered on here with photos. But I also had videos, and I like making videos, soooo.

Next weeks video will cover the lifting mechanism! Thanks for watching. Let me know if you have any questions. - Tim

Tim, I'm amazed you were able to do these videos during your project. I struggled just doing the build. Can't imagine trying to video my progress.

Hi
It’s a great learning experience for me. I am doing it first time at home with new marine upholstery similar to the one you find in Joann store. I only got a Singer and copy the old canvas ( one fold over), sew it, and reuse privacy cover to save time because it’s still good. The old canvas was bad shape due to the UV damage. I will post it once I’m done.

shellback said:
Tim, I'm amazed you were able to do these videos during your project. I struggled just doing the build. Can't imagine trying to video my progress.
Thank you, thank you. As always glad you appreciate it!
Mightymac said:
Hi
It’s a great learning experience for me. I am doing it first time at home with new marine upholstery similar to the one you find in Joann store. I only got a Singer and copy the old canvas ( one fold over), sew it, and reuse privacy cover to save time because it’s still good. The old canvas was bad shape due to the UV damage. I will post it once I’m done.
Great. What did you come up with? I'd love to see it.

Back at it again! I know I covered the lifting mechanism before in photos. But I am still recovering from my should injury so I made a video about the lifting mechanism. Hopefully, it helps some of you that are curious about the emt lifting mechanisms.

Question for those that have done this before. Have you had a heavy snow load on the EMT. I am kind of worried about it to be honest. What about strong strong winds? Let me know who has done what and survived to tell the tale.

As always, thank for following along. Would not be this far along without the wonderful wander the west community.

Back
Top Bottom