84 Fleet - 09 Tacoma - Project

my friend got a camper like yours just today. Your post will be used as a guide to renovate the old camper.

zRR5l21.jpg

pollux said:
my friend got a camper like yours just today. Your post will be used as a guide to renovate the old camper.

zRR5l21.jpg
Rockin! Looks like a perfect twin. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with. New videos about canvas coming very soon!!!!

[SIZE=20pt]Canvas Build 1[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]A far overdue update about my canvas build. As you know, I have been making a lot of videos about my build now that I am really into videos. The canvas was a major project so I separated it up into three videos. The 1st covers just the planning and purchasing. The 2nd will be the vast majority of the sewing, and the 3rd will be the install. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Here is the video I made about planning and purchasing. I narrate the vast majority of the video which should cover a lot of details.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]For those of you looking to try to make your own I have provided a few photos of the sketches. Definitely take these with a grain (ton) of salt, I made adjustments along the way which I tried to note but I am sure there are still some errors. Get after it and let me know if you have any questions. As always thanks for following along. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Window hole dimensions.[/SIZE]
gallery_6274_1000_1022596.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]This shows the many dimensions involved in cutting the hole of the window. Notice you cut inside the window leaving an excess of 2in to make a massive hem.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Clear plastic flap[/SIZE]
gallery_6274_1000_654564.jpg

[SIZE=11pt]This shows the dimension of the clear plastic flap (middle layer). Remember this is larger than the window with room to reach the velcro that lives around the window[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Privacy flap[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]
gallery_6274_1000_1313730.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]
gallery_6274_1000_1313730.jpg.
[/SIZE]
gallery_6274_1000_1313730.jpg.
Similar to the clear plastic flap, the privacy flap also is larger than both the window hole and the clear plastic so that it too reaches the excess velcro around the perimeter of the window.

How much canvas?
gallery_6274_1000_873965.jpg

These are some random notes to figure out how much canvas to purchase. 13 yards is what I got. I had plenty of extra but did not want to run out. Shipping is steep for this stuff so go big. I needed so much because of the extra height of my canvas, I could not rip the canvas in half and get two wall from each linear foot.

Hieght
gallery_6274_1000_1091132.jpg
speaking of height, I left a ton of material below my canvas to help with the install, it really paid off! and can easily but cut off once fully installed.

Arctic linear attachment point
gallery_6274_1000_1322610.jpg

I'll cover this a lot in my next video.

Seam
gallery_6274_1000_672088.jpg

I went with the full felled seam. I learned how to make it from the sailrite videos. It seems really confusing the first few times but after a few test it proves to be a pretty easy seam. I'd suggest it.

Let me know what questions you all have. I will answer them here and/or be sure to incorporate them into the future videos. As always thanks for following along. - Tim

Great video Tim! The window part of the canvas was the most challenging job of the project for me. Mine came out probably a 5 out of 10. If I wasn't turning 70 y/o next month, I think I might attempt to build another set. For anyone attempting the project that has no sewing experience, I'd advise you to buy a little extra material and make a few practice window panels. They are a little tricky to make. By the time I got to making the cushion covers and curtains, my sewing skills improved greatly.

shellback said:
Great video Tim! The window part of the canvas was the most challenging job of the project for me. Mine came out probably a 5 out of 10. If I wasn't turning 70 y/o next month, I think I might attempt to build another set. For anyone attempting the project that has no sewing experience, I'd advise you to buy a little extra material and make a few practice window panels. They are a little tricky to make. By the time I got to making the cushion covers and curtains, my sewing skills improved greatly.
70! A great accomplishment. Congratulations. I couldn't agree more about taking the test runs before making the final windows. I made a ton of paper templates as I figured all the folds and seams out. I also borrow a domestic machine and just made some simple seams to get acquainted with sewing. I found the sewing, like so many things (woodworking), is all about the prep and set-up. The machine is only on an stitching a for a small amount of the time, most of the skill comes before the thread enters the fabric.

My wife and I are looking forward to the curtains and cushions, we agree they should be a walk in the park compared to everything else.

sportsmanjake said:
Wow! Those canvas videos are a wealth of information.

Thanks for documenting and sharing!!
Thanks! That is what I am going for. Glad you found it informative. The next video is already approaching 20min ;) but there is a lot of details to cover so I hope people enjoy it. My audience is anyone who wants to learn, not so much entertainment, so I expect people will just watch bits and pieces and jump around in the video. The sewing process should be done this week or next.

takesiteasy said:
Thanks for the video- it is fun to follow along with your project.
Thank you, glad you enjoy!

Portercassidy said:
Amazing Work.

We need a Table of Content on your initial post, to know which page to get to whatever information you are covering.
Glad you enjoyed. The TOC is a great idea. Maybe someday. Let me know if you have any questions. Looking forward to seeing what you put together.

PokyBro said:
very nice addition to your thread Tim, I'm sure those following you will appreciate it big time.

Poky
Thanks poky, what I lack in progress and craftsmanship I can make up for in organization :)

Slowed down yet again :( Took a nasty fall on a surfboard in Mexico. Broken shoulder blade. Should make a full recovery but tough to do any camper renovations or use the camper in this state :(. But at least I can finally catch up on videos.

watch

How to sew the canvas material!

Well, it's finally here. After talking about it for approximately 14 months this year I have something to show for the major project that was the canvas sewing. If you haven't already seen, a few post prior I made part 1 of the video that discussed the different products I purchased and some of the planning leading up to sewing. Well, I finally made my biggest video yet of my biggest project yet.

How to sew the pop-up canvas for a four wheel camper.

A huge thanks to all those on this site that came before me. I know there are quite a few build that do a great job of detailing the steps and those are incredibly helpful. And a special thanks to poky for showing me his canvas and letting me pick his brain. I was extremely fortunate to have access to both the machine and an area that was ideal for this project along with professional technical teachers hat helped me along the way.

https://ideaforgemakerspace.com/tools-equipment-supplies/

I was quite nervous about the whole thing, but could not be more satisfied with how it turned out. I think the 20-minute video should have more than enough information to suit most people, but please if you have any questions at all, please reach out. If I can make one of these you certainly can too.

As always, thanks for following along. - Tim

Just entering your 'journey' .... holy toledo! You are helping a lot of folks who are visual learners and will be now willing to try their own. Incredible documenting the process!

Tim,

What an awesome job you've done in videoing the construction of a side liner. As Buckland said, it will be invaluable to many who have hesitated to try to tackle such a job, but have wanted to give it a try. The video is very thorough, and covers the real world aspects of what you encounter. You were so fortunate to have facilities and equipment to do the job. I did mine in my basement, and cut everything out with scissors on the floor. Not sure how long yours took, but I spent about 20 hours, as I was being very careful to get it right the first time, given the material costs. You obviously took the same approach with careful planning, measuring, cutting and sewing. You should be very pleased with the results, it turned out great. A capable assistant must have been priceless as well.

Thanks for posting your video....kudos to you!

Poky

Back
Top Bottom