84 Fleet - 09 Tacoma - Project

Interior bench on passenger and front area.
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the continued interest in my build. October is the month to get this thing done!!!!!! (or nearly done).

From here forward I will be transition my build reports from mostly writing and photos to mostly videos. Yesterday we finished the passenger and front bench area! And I made a video of our expereince, a mix between informational and entertainment (hopefully).

I hope you enjoy the video! I'll be sure to make more (especially on the canvas which I literally have 100s GB of raw video ready to go) in the near future.

I couple other details of the build I know might be helpful if you are tackling the same project.

- I used 1/2 in plywood and 1X2" pine to frame. These seem to be the perfect weight for this area.
- I used the Kreg pocket screw jig which I am loving, those thing make a quick, easy, and solid corner!
Small Pocket Screw Jig - Amazon.com
Make sure you leave room to accommodate for the hinges if you want the lids to fit flush.

Let me know if there are other details of this build you are curious of and I'll be sure to get back to you.

Thanks again for following along, it sure has been a ride. - Tim

Hello Living The Dream
Y'all's labor of love is evident, congrats on seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
At the end you were speaking of anchor for cabinet top. I thought of Velcro the hook side and it could just grab the carpet.
Will look for vid of first day out. Cheers
Russ

Edit: Showing interior in use.

MattC said:
Good stuff
Thanks Matt. Glad you enjoyed it!

CougarCouple said:
Hello Living The Dream
Y'all's labor of love is evident, congrats on seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
At the end you were speaking of anchor for cabinet top. I thought of Velcro the hook side and it could just grab the carpet.
Will look for vid of first day out. Cheers
Russ

Edit: Showing interior in use.
Thanks for the idea Russ. I actaully did something similar with using velcro to keep my lifting mechanism up out of the doorway when in the closed position. Maybe I will do what you say, I do need to add pull tabs regardless so I'll figure out it. Thanks for chiming in. - Tim

I had a couple questions through private chat that I figured I would answer here as well just to share the info with any others that might find it helpful.

When member asked if I was having issues with the self tapping screws and the old aluminum.

I will say that I have had my fair share of "spinners" screws that don't grip and just spin and spin. You can do a few things if that happens

1- ignore it and act like its a solid screw (I often went this route)
2. grab a wider screw (go from a #6 to a #8) for instance. I did this a lot
3. add some sort of loctite. I never did this.

Tim,
Great job and continued progress. I'm really impressed with the extra help you get, what a lovely gal! Both of you will share the enjoyment of using the camper you both built. Can't beat that!
Poky

Quality referb. As a fellow "old gen" FWC owner, I applaud you putting forth the effort. I notice the discrete placement of a beer bottle in a few of the frames. I'm slightly envious, because in my life, beer drinking while working leads to a lack of production and maybe over consumption.

Really, nice work!

LuckyDan said:
Quality referb. As a fellow "old gen" FWC owner, I applaud you putting forth the effort. I notice the discrete placement of a beer bottle in a few of the frames. I'm slightly envious, because in my life, beer drinking while working leads to a lack of production and maybe over consumption.

Really, nice work!
Thanks. As per the beverage, as my mother says, 'everything in moderation'. Except for truck camper reno's those should be extreme and involving multiple years!

watch
Thanks, ShellBack. Glad you enjoyed it! The folks here on WanderTheWest are pretty much my target audience so good to hear it someone likes it. I'm always looking for ways to improve videos so if there is anything you want to see let me know and I'll crank out another one.

Enjoyed the video! Are you going with any countertop, stove or sink?

Yes, I am definitely going to do sink stove, countertop. I like what you did with yours. I'll also be following along with what Poky did. Haven't 100% figured it out, just going to get into it and see what feels right. I like using the 1X2 wood because mistakes are cheap and I can try a few things relatively easily.

I just came across this guy.
Who is using 80/20. I have experience with 80/20 in the lab but the stuff is pretty costly. However, it seems like a really cool option and probably makes a very professional finish. I am debating if I want to go that route or not, will probably not, just stick with the classic wood for the classic 80 camper.

Do you have any comments on what works on your countertop and what doesn't? Any changes you wish you did?

As always thanks for following along.- Tim

Hey All.

New update on finishing out those benches.

I put in the battery under my bench, added some handles, and did a few other things.

Also, I tweaked the pull out bed a bit. The bed was giving me major issues before. A little stip of rubber (drawer linear) really settled everything down and it feels very stable now.

I made a video about it. Let me know what you think!

Thanks for checking in. It will be time for ski trips very soon!

Great video Tim ! I love that 1x2 lumber, cheap and very light. Is that the Gray indoor outdoor carpet Home Depot sells in 6x8 rolls you are using? I covered all my plywood with it. Very easy to use and gives it a clean finished look. Hopefully my counter top will work out as planned. 34 hours till departure on our first trip, so I'm sure I'll have some "shouda dunit that way insteads"

shellback said:
Great video Tim ! I love that 1x2 lumber, cheap and very light. Is that the Gray indoor outdoor carpet Home Depot sells in 6x8 rolls you are using? I covered all my plywood with it. Very easy to use and gives it a clean finished look. Hopefully my counter top will work out as planned. 34 hours till departure on our first trip, so I'm sure I'll have some "shouda dunit that way insteads"
Thanks Shelback! yeah, I really like the 1x2 too. Yes it is the simple gray carpet from HD. It actually can come in any size off a large roll cut to any length. Really cheap and versatile! Enjoy your trip! Have a great time! Would love to see a couple photos of your setup in the wild.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Hey Tim, cool video! Nice work!
Thanks sagebrush. Glad you liked it.

ski3pin said:
Excellent way of sharing your rebuild and ideas. Nice to watch and thank you! :)
Thanks 3Pin. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the VLOG is the new BLOG for a lot of things. And I really enjoy the video process as much as the building process. Now just need to start enjoying the camping process too.

Hi All,

Another fun video from a camping trip. This was actually our first trip out since all the rebuilds. Most everything went well too! Had a little issue with the pull out bed and had to sleep on the floor, but other than that things worked well. I hope this is the start of a lot more camping videos and a lot less building videos. Thanks for following along!!

Back
Top Bottom