A new tool for western trip planning - fire watch live cameras

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty
I stumbled on this site: ALERTCalifornia - Operations - real time images of current wide angle views from many mountain peaks as well as the usual traffic cams. Zoom the map in about halfway then hover your mouse over the purple triangles. You will be presented with a view from the peak where the camera is located. Have fun and don't get too mesmerized!

I can vividly remember climbing up to the lookout above Taylor Lake (since torn down) and having the lookout explain what I was seeing. That brown smoke is actually from road construction. The black smoke over there is from the mill. He knew every inch of his territory. They had the ability to judge distance you just can't get from a camera.

I've used Alert Wildfire also for overall weather and then the DOT highway cameras when concerned about traffic - rarely an issue where we go. I like the combination of this new site but am surprised one lookout in our area is not present on the new site but is on Alert Wildfire. We only use these at home on the desktop. When traveling we look out the windows.

I've used Alert Wildfire also for overall weather and then the DOT highway cameras when concerned about traffic - rarely an issue where we go. I like the combination of this new site but am surprised one lookout in our area is not present on the new site but is on Alert Wildfire. We only use these at home on the desktop. When traveling we look out the windows.
Nothing beats looking out the window! Nowadays that is heresy in some places.

Back
Top Bottom