An Adventure to Celebrate Our 40th Annivesary - September 2023

Very interesting start.
Newspaper rock had you posted that on another trip?

You sure meet some different people on the trips.

Thanks,waiting for more,especially the narrow gauge train.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Very interesting start.
Newspaper rock had you posted that on another trip?

You sure meet some different people on the trips.

Thanks,waiting for more,especially the narrow gauge train.

Frank
Thanks Frank! No, this was our first visit to and post about Newspaper Rock in Utah. We'll visited other rock art sites carrying the same name.

Vic Harder said:
love the two pictures with dark skies and bright bush in the foreground. Lovely.
Thanks Vic!

Also, I've added a link to the now completed Part Two to the first post above.

Much thanks for part 2.We made that ride in 1981 with the girls and camped outside town
at Haviland Lake CG.Spent a couple nights there.
42 years ago it was nice and quiet,I think we were the only campers there.
There are some nice hikes from there to the Animas river through the Tacoma Powerhouse.

At that time the locomotives were coal fired and the fireman would have to shovel tones
of huge chunks of coal for the uphill trip.The return trip being all downhill was far easier.

Aside that the oil might be less polluting I think the main reason for the switch is the hot cinder
issue.There have been many fires started from the train blowing hot cinders out the stack.

We have always been big rail fans and traveled to some great places to ride/see these great steam locomotives.

The history of the K class locos is very impressive.The idea of using a wide gauge locomotive and placing the
wheels inside the frame to use them on the narrow gauge worked well for the D&GRW.
Some of them even saw action in Alaska during WW 2.

We also visited and rode the Cumbres & Toltec out of Chama NM.While camp there during the evening hours we
walked through the rail yard ane were given a nice tour by the night fireman.

Thanks for again bringing back some very fond memories. Much appreciated.
Frank

Great part 3.We never made it to Ouray,thanks for showing it off.
Some nice hikes.The rope climb looked fairly easy to do.
Do they provide all the equipment?
First seeing the signage I thought you had to bring all your own ropes/helmets,ect.

Can't wait to see what next is in store.
Frank

Congratulations on the anniversary. Great hiking and photos. It wasn't real clear from your narrative, was your new friend Bud skimming the cash? I think Serena Supplee has a gallery or store in Moab, worth a visit for sure. I was introduced to her at the Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding many years ago.
For folks who aren't familiar with Ms Supplee and her art, here is a link to her website:
https://www.serenasupplee.com/home-page

dr.tucson said:
Congratulations on the anniversary. Great hiking and photos. It wasn't real clear from your narrative, was your new friend Bud skimming the cash? I think Serena Supplee has a gallery or store in Moab, worth a visit for sure. I was introduced to her at the Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding many years ago.
Doc, thanks for the information on Serena Supplee, hers is a very nice approach and interpretation of the wonderful southwest around her. No, I don't think Bud was skimming. I think he just likes to do things his way. More and more Julie and I have seen signs at the entrance that cover up the usual instructions and simply say see the camp host. I suspect its for a combination of reasons - wanting better control of the money (people do try to pry those tubes open) and campers taking/occupying campground sites. And also, our growing population's inability to follow simple directions.

Thanks for the very kind comments.

Very fun time you guys had! Here's to another 10 and your 50th anniversary trip report! We just got back from Bears Ears and central Nevada. Great country to get lost in.

Love the write-up. We happened upon Maple Grove GG and Bud about six weeks before you. First time visit for us too. He's a character but a fun a friendly one. Did he tell you that he started coming to that CG when he was about 10-years old with his Dad and family? He loves that place and it shows. We got almost the same narrative you quoted when we saw him, glacier water, site C1 and all. And I also don't think Bud was skimming the money, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned in your reply to Doc. One thing you didn't mention about Bud, he was trying to wear a different color outfit each day. I think the day we arrived he was dressed in a purple outfit head to toe. The next day when we left he was in bright yellow, head to toe. We asked him about that and he did that for fun and to keep his days exciting. BTW, our stay was mid-week around the last few days of July. My understanding is that on weekends the sites are generally filled. We were also headed from CA to CO at the time on the Loneliest Road in America.

For those who are interested, Maple Grove CG (Fishlake Nat'l Forest) can be reserved on Recreation.gov from May 1st-Sep 14, and are suppose to have some sites set-aside for first-come, first-serve. If you just need one night mid-week and it's not a weekend or holiday, I'd probably try it without a reservation if you arrive by 3pm or so.

And kudos for the great trip reports. I'm one of the silent majority who enjoy reading your trip reports but don't always take the time to respond with a big THANK YOU.

Wildcat said:
Love the write-up. We happened upon Maple Grove GG and Bud about six weeks before you. First time visit for us too. He's a character but a fun a friendly one. Did he tell you that he started coming to that CG when he was about 10-years old with his Dad and family? He loves that place and it shows. We got almost the same narrative you quoted when we saw him, glacier water, site C1 and all. And I also don't think Bud was skimming the money, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned in your reply to Doc. One thing you didn't mention about Bud, he was trying to wear a different color outfit each day. I think the day we arrived he was dressed in a purple outfit head to toe. The next day when we left he was in bright yellow, head to toe. We asked him about that and he did that for fun and to keep his days exciting. BTW, our stay was mid-week around the last few days of July. My understanding is that on weekends the sites are generally filled. We were also headed from CA to CO at the time on the Loneliest Road in America.

For those who are interested, Maple Grove CG (Fishlake Nat'l Forest) can be reserved on Recreation.gov from May 1st-Sep 14, and are suppose to have some sites set-aside for first-come, first-serve. If you just need one night mid-week and it's not a weekend or holiday, I'd probably try it without a reservation if you arrive by 3pm or so.

And kudos for the great trip reports. I'm one of the silent majority who enjoy reading your trip reports but don't always take the time to respond with a big THANK YOU.
Thanks for the kind comment. :)

Yes, Bud has found his niche and he loves it. He did not tell us of his childhood visits but he did tell us about the annual event where 150 of his friends rent all the group sites and it is, as we can imagine, quite the get together. :)

And thanks for the additional detail about the colorful outfits!

AWG_Pics said:
Very fun time you guys had! Here's to another 10 and your 50th anniversary trip report! We just got back from Bears Ears and central Nevada. Great country to get lost in.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom