And So They Continue........................Fires

Yes, its a bad spot and could really take off. Besides I want my guys back on the line on the Dixie fire. Lets not have it be the first million acre fire. So far it looks like the group camp at Antelope Lake was spared but I'm thinking all the access roads may be closed to the lake. I hate to see any area burn but its worse when its an area you've traveled personally.

In 2014 the King Fire burned within .75 mile from our home. Here is an excellent video explaining how fires and fire behavior has changed.

The King Fire burned around 100,000 acres. The Caldor Fire that we narrowly escaped has now burned over 216,000 acres. The Dixie Fire to our north is approaching 1,000,000 acres burned.

billharr said:
Keeping small fires small.

Bill thanks for sharing! I’m glad they caught this one while it was small. We still need to figure out how keep the understory under control.

There is a good chance I turned wrenches on that OV 10.

My friend was in the bulls eye of the Mountain View fire last year. He retired here after having been a firefighter for more than 30 years and he stayed and saved his home. If I could only use two words to describe his property it would be **** discontinuous fuel. ****

I nodded my head when I heard those words in the video ski3pin posted.

It may be worth the time to look up some stuff written by George Wuerthner on fire if you have an interest. He has articles published in many different places.

Yes, we were among the lucky ones with the Caldor Fire. Here is a link to the structure status map. What stands out is the loss in the Grizzly Flats area and the cabins along highway 50 from Twin Bridges east.

Caldor Fire Structure Status Map

As the stories unfold about this wildfire incident, I hope two items are mentioned. One is the forest/health thinning project that was just completed in the Sly Park Recreation Area. I believe the fire laying down when it reached this area of reduced fuels is what saved our community and our home. The second is the extensive forest health/thinning project along the south side of Pioneer Trail (National Forest lands) in the Tahoe Basin. This, I believe played a major role in saving South Lake Tahoe. The Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (USFS) worked hard against a lot of opposition to get this project approved and completed.

The forecast is calling for soaking rain across Oregon starting tomorrow. The screenshot is for my house.

I hope the rest of the areas with fires are getting rain as well.

A880DFFE-4103-4F72-B3CD-B0A07623E124.jpeg

The Caldor fire is still going.... Morning report 9/21/2021 Sill fighting it and people are still evacuated.

Can be read here. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CAENF/2021-08-15-0910-Caldor-Fire/related_files/pict20210821-110201-0.pdf

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7801/

I find the closures extended in some arears.

USFS FOREST CLOSUREINFORMATION

• Eldorado National Forest:
The Eldorado National Forest forest-wide closure (03-21- 14) remains in effect until September 30. Access and orders will be refined over time. MORE: https://www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado/

• LTBMU:
Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit Caldor Fire Emergency Closure (19-20-06) has been extended for the following areas: Desolation Wilderness, Meiss Country, Barker Pass and McKinney/Rubicon through December 31, 2021. Access and orders will be refined over time.

We had a couple of days with good air quality here in the valley, but now there is smoke starting to pour over the mountains, bummer.

We finally got some smoke,it's from the Sequoia NP fire.
As we headed into town yesterday afternoon a look
down the Salinas Valley and there it was a large layer of smoke
and by evening it had moved north over Montery Bay area.
We had trip planed down the coast to San Simeon SP for a few days,
but with the change in wind to offshore and the smoke being pulled
over from the fire area we gave up out trip.
This was the 3rd trip to be cancelled due to heat/smoke.

Oh well maybe October will be better.
Frank

Yes, it is still quite busy on this end with strike teams and aircraft going by and overhead. We absolutely loved the few days of clear air! The smoke is back and woke us overnight as it settled in.

pvstoy said:
The Caldor fire is still going.... Morning report 9/21/2021 Sill fighting it and people are still evacuated.

Can be read here. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CAENF/2021-08-15-0910-Caldor-Fire/related_files/pict20210821-110201-0.pdf

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7801/

I find the closures extended in some arears.

USFS FOREST CLOSUREINFORMATION

• Eldorado National Forest:
The Eldorado National Forest forest-wide closure (03-21- 14) remains in effect until September 30. Access and orders will be refined over time. MORE: https://www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado/

• LTBMU:
Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit Caldor Fire Emergency Closure (19-20-06) has been extended for the following areas: Desolation Wilderness, Meiss Country, Barker Pass and McKinney/Rubicon through December 31, 2021. Access and orders will be refined over time.

We had a couple of days with good air quality here in the valley, but now there is smoke starting to pour over the mountains, bummer.

I just got home from a backpacking trip that had been postponed several times since early August. I did get a couple of days of clear air near the crest of the Sierra when the wind shifted - watched the forecast and planned for it.

And then I am walking through the Leavitt Meadow campground to get back to my truck and apparently someone took the NO FIRES red tape off the fire ring and had a campfire burning. It was 10:30 in the morning, warm enough to go swimming and no one was present in the campsite.

I am just going to leave it at that as anything else I might say would likely offend someone.

teledork said:
I just got home from a backpacking trip that had been postponed several times since early August. I did get a couple of days of clear air near the crest of the Sierra when the wind shifted - watched the forecast and planned for it.

And then I am walking through the Leavitt Meadow campground to get back to my truck and apparently someone took the NO FIRES red tape off the fire ring and had a campfire burning. It was 10:30 in the morning, warm enough to go swimming and no one was present in the campsite.

I am just going to leave it at that as anything else I might say would likely offend someone.
Link to Current Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Order covering the Leavitt Meadows area -

Stage II Fire Restrictions

...............the stupidity pandemic continues among the pilgrims and a biblical "smite" was needed.

Back
Top Bottom