And So They Continue........................Fires

ski3pin said:
As of 1300hrs, most of our area is mandatory evacuation. We were out by 1015hrs and are safe. Evacuation routes and highway 50 are crawling bumper to bumper.
Monte and Julie, we send our best! Stay safe! If there is anything we can help with, let us know.

craig333 said:
Hoping for the best here. Glad you aren't one of the crazy ones that stay until its too late.
Friend of mine stayed for the Mountain View fire. 10 hours - just him an a shovel against flames pushed by 80 mph winds but his house is still an oasis of green amongst the devastation in this valley. Crazy? Nope - he was a firefighter on Los Padres for 30 years and the pinyon pines are not the same as the forests on the west slope. Would I stay? Next time I might. On the west slope? That would be a solid no.

ski3pin said:
As of 1300hrs, most of our area is mandatory evacuation. We were out by 1015hrs and are safe. Evacuation routes and highway 50 are crawling bumper to bumper.
Let me know if I can be of any help.

Evacuation warnings include Loon Lake. Thats quite a potential they see for growth. Lets hope thats a worst case scenario, not a likely one.

No surprise that they've closed the Eldorado NF. My buddy to the south is under an evacuation warning. Weather forecast doesn't look promising. Pretty heavy smoke here in the valley.

P.S. They got out. Not crazy people.

Why you evacuate early. Here are a couple of stories I've heard from other fire evacuees. Friend's daughter did a good job gathering her own necessities as they loaded their vehicles, except she forgot underwear. She's now got all new underwear from a store.

A young man works for a government agency and has been working from home with his government laptop. As the family is grabbing items to evacuate, he finds his three year old has pulled the security key from the computer - that allows login and use of the computer - and hid it. He tears the house apart but finds it! With the family in the escape vehicle and ready to leave, another evacuee is driving down their road. This vehicle is filled with hastily thrown in items, a woman is driving, there is an uncontrolled dog in the front. The dog crawls onto the driver and sticks its head through the spokes of the steering wheel. Now unable to control the vehicle she smashes into the large oak in the young man's yard. He calls 911, waits, and assists the paramedics with extraction of the injuried woman and loaded into the medic unit for transport. I do not know about the condition of the dog.

Interesting stories.

I have an observation about dogs in peoples laps while driving.
First off why doesn't PETA care for the animals welfare
and second,push to get pet owners to stop this practice?

IMO it should be illegal to have a dog in your lap while driving.

On our walks I see drivers doing that,they must think it's cute.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Interesting stories.

I have an observation about dogs in peoples laps while driving.
First off why doesn't PETA care for the animals welfare
and second,push to get pet owners to stop this practice?

IMO it should be illegal to have a dog in your lap while driving.

On our walks I see drivers doing that,they must think it's cute.

Frank
My dog is in the back seat. While I have been lax lately he is usually in a seatbelt harnesses.

ski3pin said:
Why you evacuate early. Here are a couple of stories I've heard from other fire evacuees. Friend's daughter did a good job gathering her own necessities as they loaded their vehicles, except she forgot underwear. She's now got all new underwear from a store.
I have had a duffle bag of clothing packed since May. Another duffle of camping gear and warmer clothing pretty much lives in the camper. My housemate and I leave evacuation lists whenever one of us leaves. We were evacuated twice in 2020. This is a horrible thing to have to get used to.

teledork said:
My dog is in the back seat. While I have been lax lately he is usually in a seatbelt harnesses.
We've gotten in the habit of putting Callie in her Ruff-wear harness. We call it her "tactical vest".
She's like a patient pack horse when I put it on/off her for our daily commute to my office.

Seriously, our Tundra setup has the dog on a shelf behind the passenger seat at the same height as the windshield.
We have changed our ways and use the vest in each of our three vehicles where I've rigged a carabiner on a tether to clip her in.
I'm just glad we never had a problem for all the years we didn't secure the hound.

My dog never tries to get in the front. Still, I've had to hit the brakes hard and just hope the dog can handle it.

I have a go bag ready though I really figure the camper is my go bag.

Even more than those who won't evacuate, its those who reenter the scene during the fire that drive me crazy.

Nine national forests now closed. I was expecting this even earlier.

• Klamath National Forest
  • Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit
  • Lassen National Forest
  • Mendocino National Forest
  • Modoc National Forest
  • Plumas National Forest
  • Shasta-Trinity National Forest
  • Six Rivers National Forest
  • Tahoe National Forest
Caldor seems to be moderating but the last time I thought that I was fooled. Will the Dixie fire make a million acres? Stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom