And So They Continue........................Fires

This isn't good. The Caldor fire is the number one priority fire yet they just had a priority tanker divert to the Dixie fire. Also a new fire start near placerville.

.......................and a new fire in Calaveras County near New Melones Reservoir................and a new fire in Grass Valley.

This is the second time this month when I have looked out my front window to see a threatening plume of smoke.
This time is was less than a mile away. (Aug 4 River Fire)

Once again, Callie heard me say, "Holy Sh*!! Let's get out of here!
(Aug 25 Bennett Fire)

We packed up and went three blocks away to overlook the rapidly advancing Bennett Fire.
The Grass Valley Air Attack team dropped load after load of retardant, through thick smoke, and close to tree line. Helicopters with straws ran repeated drops on a spot fire a short distance away.

Traffic stopped to a crawl as people gawked at the fire from Hwy 49

I’m so saddened to keep reading of these fires popping up everywhere.

As one who has no experience with these types of fires can someone tell me approximately what percentage are man made (either by negligence or intentional) and what are natural by things like lightening strikes?

The Bennett Fire was quickly contained at 50 acres and this morning has 70% containment. Air bombers were able to put down retardant at the head of the fire while choppers dumped water on spot fires. These folks are pros!

smlobx said:
I’m so saddened to keep reading of these fires popping up everywhere.

As one who has no experience with these types of fires can someone tell me approximately what percentage are man made (either by negligence or intentional) and what are natural by things like lightening strikes?
I have not found the particular chart I was looking for but my recollection is that around 80% of wildfires have "human" causes. If I remember the break down of human causes debris burning was the largest percentage followed by "equipment" which would include dragging a tow chain, a chunk spewing catalytic converter, down power lines, lawnmower, construction tools etc.

And a few are so ridiculous it is hard to believe: the guy who drove on Hwy 26, just east of Mt Hood for 20 plus miles while pulling a trailer with no tire. The rim on road sparks started fires for all 20 miles. When pulled over they guy had no idea anything was wrong. Or the genius that did some target practice in the hills above Yakima. His target was an exploding deer made out of styrofoam and pyrotechnics. The states had to ban target practice with tracer rounds when these consistently started fires. And then there is parking your vehicle on dry grass and starting a fire. Generators are a big problem as well I have read, though I don't have one so I don't understand the mechanism. Sometimes trains will spark fires if one happens to roll over debris on the track. And the kid that started the Columbia Gorge fire a couple of years ago was trying to amaze his friends with the big firecracker he tossed off the trail. etcetera etcetera etcetera

I remember 90% being tossed about but I think its misleading. You're going to have a much higher human caused number in the L.A. area than you would in a rural area. I'm fairly confident where I worked in Lassen-Modoc you could flip those figures around. 90% natural causes vs. 10% human.

good luck Ski on getting back home. I am off to the Dixie Fire today with my IMT for out turn on that one.

craig333 said:
I remember 90% being tossed about but I think its misleading. You're going to have a much higher human caused number in the L.A. area than you would in a rural area. I'm fairly confident where I worked in Lassen-Modoc you could flip those figures around. 90% natural causes vs. 10% human.
My experience while living in two different "rural" areas over the past 40 years is that the wildfires have overwhelmingly been human caused. When I lived in the Yuba County foothills every single wildfire was some kind of stupid human trick. Here in Northern Mono county and the adjacent region I'll make a rough estimate that at least 75% have been caused by humans and human stuff including kids with matches, car accidents, debris burning, down power line and something or other the Marines did.

You could be right only where I was it was farmers not kids. Welding in the wind, mowing in rocks etc.

The Caldor Fire is still very active on the east prompting new evacuations and causing concern for the Lake Tahoe Basin -

[SIZE=66.6px]CAL[/SIZE][SIZE=66.6px] [/SIZE][SIZE=66.6px]FIRE[/SIZE][SIZE=66.6px] [/SIZE][SIZE=66.6px]NEWS RELEASE[/SIZE][SIZE=66.6px] [/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px]California[/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px]Department[/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px]of[/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px]Forestry[/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px]and[/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px]Fire[/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px]Protection[/SIZE][SIZE=33.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=8.4px] [/SIZE]

530-303-2455
Media Line
530-497-0315
RELEASE DATE: August 26, 2021
10:00 a.m.

WHAT: Update to Evacuation Orders, Warnings, and Road Closures
WHEN: Effective Immediately
WHERE: El Dorado and Alpine Counties
Road Closures:
The Highway 50 closure has been extended East to Meyers (Highway 50 and Highway 89
junction).
Evacuation Routes:
Residents evacuating the area should use Highway 50 East.

Evacuation Order:
El Dorado County
From Twin Bridges east to Echo Summit
From Highway 50 South to Amador/Alpine County line
From Highway 50 North to Flag Pole Peak.

Evacuation Warnings:
El Dorado County
Christmas Valley from Highway 89 West to Echo Summit
Highway 89 due West to Watershed Ridge and South to the Amador/El Dorado County
line.
Alpine County
Highway 89 South from Luther Pass Road to the Pickets Junction (Highway 88).
West on Highway 88 to Kirkwood.

Evacuation Shelter:
Nevada
A Red Cross Shelter is open for those evacuating from the area at the Douglas County
Community Center, 1329 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, NV.
NOTES:
Please go to: www.tinyurl.com/EDSOEVAC for an online evacuation map.

All previous evacuation orders and warnings remain in effect

A mandatory evacuation order is defined as an immediate threat to life. This is a lawful order to
leave now. The area is lawfully closed to public access.
An evacuation warning is defined as a potential threat to life and/or property. Those who
require additional time to evacuate, and those with pets and livestock should leave now.
Safety Message:
[SIZE=18.4px]The public is reminded to stay vigilant on current fire [/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px]conditions. Please continue to[/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px] [/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px]adhere to road[/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.4px]closures and any evacuation orders and warnings. A reminder to drive slowly and yield to emergency[/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.4px]personnel in the area. There will be smoke in the respective areas as fir[/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px]efighters continue firefighting[/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.4px]op[/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px]erations. If at any time you feel unsafe, please call 911.[/SIZE][SIZE=18.4px] [/SIZE]

Thank you everyone for the information on the causes of these fires.
‘I had no idea that the human cause was such a high percentage…

Back
Top Bottom