And So They Continue........................Fires

Craig,I thought El Dorado NF was also closed.I wouldn't that before
September is half over many more of the NFs are closed.

Our state is burning up sad to say.

Hope all members in ALL fire areas are staying safe.
Frank

I guess they didn't add the Eldorado NF to that list because it was closed already. I think they'll add to the list also. Sucks for us but I think its the right thing to do.

Eldorado National Forest is closed through Sept 30th. The others are closed through Sept 6th. This appears to be a response to the upcoming Labor Day Weekend.

ski3pin said:
Eldorado National Forest is closed through Sept 30th. The others are closed through Sept 6th. This appears to be a response to the upcoming Labor Day Weekend.
I keep seeing pictures in my mind of the people trapped at Mammoth Pools Reservoir (I think?) by the Creek Fire last year - eventually flown out by military helicopters. The thought of Labor Day crowds evacuating the Tahoe basin is a worst case scenario but I think closing the forests is a good idea.

Day 39 and we are still having fun. Today we are worried about a high wind event this PM(11-6). For the last few days they have been hitting the fire with the bombers when they can and building additional lines around Janesville/395 (east end) and Chainy Creek/36/Westwood (west end) . As our Sheriff was saying over the radio this morning "This is another critical day and they hope the lines hold in the high county and old fire scares and don't make the city limit(s) ". Our folks know what they are doing and Susanville is the main hub and evac area for this part of the fire. Or as most of us feel, if they lose it here. we are all up s--- creek! All the forests and BLM lands are closed around here, so if I do need to run it is to the north and 1st stop is a friends place up at Eagle Lake.

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Day 39 and we are still having fun. Today we are worried about a high wind event this PM(11-6). For the last few days they have been hitting the fire with the bombers when they can and building additional lines around Janesville/395 (east end) and Chainy Creek/36/Westwood (west end) . As our Sheriff was saying over the radio this morning "This is another critical day and they hope the lines hold in the high county and old fire scares and don't make the city limit(s) ". Our folks know what they are doing and Susanville is the main hub and evac area for this part of the fire. Or as most of us feel, if they lose it here. we are all up s--- creek! All the forests and BLM lands are closed around here, so if I do need to run it is to the north and 1st stop is a friends place up at Eagle Lake.

Smoke
Smoke, we are all sending our best to you folks. Hang in there!

Thanks! PS. Timber is doing fine, just unhappy that over the last week that unhealthy smoke has turned our usual hikes into short power runs up the hill :LOL: ! A good local source on fire conditions here is Lassen News.com

Smoke

Tahoe National Forest has implemented a temporary forest closure to begin this Sunday in response to the extreme wildfire conditions as well as the strained resources resulting from the Caldor and Dixie fires. Please respect the closure.

The closures are effective midnight on Sunday through Sept 6th. Prohibition includes driving on forest service roads, or hiking on he tails, or just being there at all.

AFFECTED NATIONAL FORESTS:
a. Tahoe National Forest
b. Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit
c. Plumas National Forest
d. Lassen National Forest
e. Mendocino National Forest
f. Klamath National Forest
g. Six Rivers National Forest
h. Shasta-Trinity National Forest
i. Modoc National Forest

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd945702.pdf

We had plans to run up to Sawmill this weekend too. The terrible smokey conditions had already changed our minds.

The Caldor Fire is currently at 117,000 acres and 9 percent contained. I receive briefings twice a day on dozer lines, hand lines, backfire operation efforts to try and protect our community on the northwest corner of the fire. We have now been evacuated for 8 days.

For overall fire outlook, I just read this -

"The Incident Management Team (IMT) reported Monday that in three or more days the following areas have the potential to be threatened: Silver Lake, Kit Carson, Plasse, Kirkwood, Twin Bridges, Sierra-at-Tahoe, Caples Lake, and the Lake Tahoe Basin."

The reality is this fire has incredible potential for further growth and destruction.

On a personal note - last Sunday Julie & I needed to leave our first safe haven we used after being evacuated, a "the second evacuation." With this unexpected turn of events, our friends The Teds from Wander the West very kindly offered their spare bedroom and home to us, where we are now.

Also, thank you to the many WTW members who have sent notes, calls, and well wishes for our safety and well being.

Boy, glad you found a place to hole up with the "Teds"! Bet a few new trips are being planned! That sure sounds like that fire has it's own mind and not being in its path anymore is a plus. Reno is getting the smoke and not us for a change. Anyway, I feel so lucky with the Dixie fire just down the road from me that I'm still at home. They seem very positive (as much as you can considering the wind and the dry condition of the county around here) about getting control of it after 42 days. Allot less smoke here and yesterday I actually saw a blue sky for the first time in many a day and could even take a breath without chocking (and also I did not turn on my home air purifier). Actually took Timber on a couple of nice almost smoke free walks and I even saw the stars for the last two nights :rolleyes:! Life is getting good again and it will be good for you guys soon too! Time to go camping !

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Boy, glad you found a place to hole up with the "Teds"! Bet a few new trips are being planned! That sure sounds like that fire has it's own mind and not being in its path anymore is a plus. Reno is getting the smoke and not us for a change. Anyway, I feel so lucky with the Dixie fire just down the road from me that I'm still at home. They seem very positive (as much as you can considering the wind and the dry condition of the county around here) about getting control of it after 42 days. Allot less smoke here and yesterday I actually saw a blue sky for the first time in many a day and could even take a breath without chocking (and also I did not turn on my home air purifier). Actually took Timber on a couple of nice almost smoke free walks and I even saw the stars for the last two nights :rolleyes:! Life is getting good again and it will be good for you guys soon too! Time to go camping !

Smoke
That is good news Smoke! I bet Timber is glad to get out on those walks. :)

I've been thinking about you and the Lady, Ski. Today I see the Caldor fire has run across the dam and up to Sly Park Road, only 3.5 miles from your town. It's frustrating to watch this thing continue to grow. Keeping our fingers crossed for you and Julie.

They have the super scoopers dipping out of Lake Tahoe today. I'm optimistic. While the temps are going to come up the winds are allowing the tankers to drop.

The Dixie fire is up to 40% containment. The mapping is still iffy but it kind of looks like they saved the campgrounds at Antelope Lake.

We're very lucky the usual Southern Ca fires are a bit behind schedule.

Back
Top Bottom