And So They Continue........................Fires

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Lightning strike fire 650 acres along the East Fork of the Carson River (hot springs area) south of Gardnerville, NV. Another small fire is visible burning on the east side of the Sweetwater Mountains (along highway 182) north of Bridgeport. TV Hill camera -

AlertWildfire/Tahoe

Inciweb is a quick place to go for information on Federal incidents/fires

Not sure what you mean by "begins". You know its going to be a bad season when they were reporting fires in May. Just a coincidence the Dotta fire started near where I stopped my truck earlier...

I apologize. I was selfishly thinking of the areas near us. In the last couple of weeks there were several small lightning starts close to home. Thankfully they remained small and were handled. Let's hope last year's arson does not return to action.

Was out and about this afternoon. Could see the wall of thunderstorms along hundreds of miles of the Sierra crest. Evening news showed a graphic of the hundreds, if not thousands, of lightning strikes. Warned of more tomorrow.

Sigh. It is going to be ugly.

Had 2 lightning fires here yesterday ( not including the one in Gardnerville and one on the slope of Mt Rose so 4 fires) The one in Carson could have went bad for many homes but today it is fully out. Lots of smoke here the last 2 days.

Just a repeat of what we had a couple of weeks ago-lots of thunder and fire. This latest bunch sure been making allot of noise for a while now and have been smelling that smoke smell, but nothing shows up on the fs inced web site and after last year we don't want to all!

Smoke

Here in the columbia gorge we are starting to see the fires and am dreading fireworks...at least the town has banned fireworks ...now to get the sale of them stopped as well

I'll be taking my mutt out of town for the fourth since it just seems to get worse every year.

On the local TV news tonight they said that the Bootleg Fire, in south-central Oregon, is currently biggest in the United States. Over 200,000 acres...with no containment. :eek:
I didn't confirm if that superlative is true or not...but it's not something to brag about anyway. :(

They're having terrain issues around Dixie Mtn. Lookout. It is just a bit steep there. Its one of the scarier lookouts to visit.

steeper than it looks too

craig333 said:
They're having terrain issues around Dixie Mtn. Lookout. It is just a bit steep there. Its one of the scarier lookouts to visit.

steeper than it looks too
I'll take your word for it. Sierra Buttes Lookout scared me quite enough thank you.

Gotta love the media. I've seen it as south of gardnerville, near markleeville, off the blue lakes road. Big Hill cam has a pretty scary view also. Check out the Leeks Springs Hill view also.

This will be an interesting one to watch once the sun goes down. Check out the timelapse on this one. Too bad they don't have a cam on Dixie Lookout.

Looking impressive now the sun has gone down. Normally all we see is the smoke. Fire is very visible on the Hawkins Peak cam.

The Death Ride - an annual endurance bike ride - is canceled and anyone in the area for the event is asked to leave.

1600 acres and if they're evacuating Wolf Creek they must be afraid its really going to take off.

I don't pay much attention to things like the death ride. I was in the area the day before once. Big mistake.

Red Flag warning has been posted for Sunday afternoon through Monday. Thus far the indications are for a easterly spread. I'd expect we'll see the Blue Lakes area evacuated also as a precaution. There is only one way out.

Some impressive views of the fire late last night. Looking better at the moment but we'll see once it warms up. Crossing my fingers for an optimistic update here soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom