And So They Continue........................Fires

There have been so many fires in that area over the past several years
it doesn't seem like there is anything left to burn.

A lot of beautiful country going up in flames.

The air quality today for the Markleeville area is above 500.Dangerous
for all groups of people.

Frank

UPDATE 12 p.m. Saturday: Highways 88, 89, and 4 are closed in the fire area. Helicopters are being utilized to try and control the blaze. As of Saturday morning the fire was at 0 percent containment.
If you are in the area of the Tamarack Fire please sign up for reverse 911 for evacuation notification: https://alpinecountyca.gov/204/Sheriff
UPDATE 10 a.m: Saturday: The Tamarack Fire is burning at approximately 6,600 acres as of Saturday morning.
Mandatory evacuations are underway for Markleeville. Highway 89 is closed at Turtle Rock Park.
UPDATE 7:18 p.m.: The Humbolt-Toiyabe NF Twitter page released the following:
Air and ground resources are on scene of the Tamarack Fire and actively engaged in suppression operations. Fire is estimated to be 500 acres. Follow Alpine County Sheriff's Office for evacuation information. Visit inciweb for updates.

I am heartbroken.................once again. The current views from the lookout cameras are horrifying.

IMG_0283.JPG

the Tamarack Fire from my front door

I have not been able to copy the photos but so far the town of Markleeville is still there as are the facilities at Grover Hot Springs

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
There have been so many fires in that area over the past several years
it doesn't seem like there is anything left to burn.
This map may interest you. While the Washiington fire in 2015 came close to Markleeville and something or other in the Monitor Pass area seems to burn every year the Grover Hot Springs and Markleeville area have not burned "recently". But I did notice that the Chris Fire, in the Walker Canyon, Nov, 2017 is missing from this map so I am not sure of the accuracy and it seems to go back only 10 years. I remember a big fire closer to Woodfords but I think that was back in the late '80s.

https://caltopo.com/map.html?fbclid=IwAR2M1Z4J96_lqDXKxskhHNjMtUlwPKkeGeRI3IM4GAyIoJAuDEqchRMiK_8#ll=38.35404,-119.70085&z=11&b=mbt&a=fire

Thanks for the info.
I was thinking about that fire on the ridge
across from Woodfords that area was very
slow to show new growth.Yes I believe it was
sometime mid 80s.

It's always sad to see/watch our forested areas burn.

For thew 30 years we had our cabin in Dorrington,we spent
a lot of time along the hwy corridor.Lots of great memories.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I was thinking about that fire on the ridge
across from Woodfords that area was very
slow to show new growth.Yes I believe it was
sometime mid 80s.

Frank
Frank, I remember that fire as the Crystal Springs fire. It started right near the Crystal Springs Campground in the canyon.

East of Klamath Falls, Oregon

Bootleg Fire

Fire Number 210321 Unit Identifier ORFWF - Fremont-Winema National Forest Complex Name

Start Date 07/06/2021 Reported

Acres 273,582 Cause Undetermined

Downgraded to a mere 18k+ acres but looking at the map I can't help but think its more than that.

This statement from the FS isn't going to make them many friends.

The fire was burning in remote territory for weeks before gusting winds Saturday exploded it into a dangerous conflagration. On July 10, when the fire was a quarter-acre wide, the Forest Service said it made a "tactical management decision is not to insert fire crews due to safety concerns, however, this is not an unresponsive approach. [The fire] is surrounded by granite rocks, a small lake and sparse fuels. Fire poses no threat to the public, infrastructure or resource values."

I wonder if there will be an investigation once its over.

Yes, especially when you have multiple large fires going on. The safety concern is an odd one. Any fire has safety concerns. Not sure why a hand crew couldn't have hiked in or a copter land nearby.

Second guessing these events is actually easy because of hindsight. It is the first guess that is hard. After a good lightening event you could have scores of small fires, maybe even a hundred up and down the entire Sierra crest. Every one you send a hand crew or make a drop on is an existing fire you just pulled a crew away from. Will somebody's house burn down by doing that? So you have to make the call which ones get attention and which don't. Don't get a single one wrong in your whole career or the second guessers come out of the woodwork calling for your head on a post.

I don't know what will happen to the person that made this call. They may very well be held responsible. But I suggest every person that is second guessing them step up and replace that person and be responsible for making the first call from now on.

I don't know anything about fire fighting. But I retired from a job that required difficult decisions. I sleep much better now.
Rant over.

TAMARACK FIRE Evac Center at Douglas County Senior Center , Gardnerville
7-18-21 UPDATE 5:20 PM
*25,000 acres burned
*6 structures lost
*Air response still limited due to smoke
Mandatory evacuations are in place for the following areas: Grover Hot Springs, Shay Creek, MarkleeVillage, Markleeville, Carson River Resort, & Poor Boy Road area, Wolf Creek Campground, Silver Creek Campground, ADDITIONALLY Sierra Pines, Upper and Lower Manzanita, Crystal Springs, Alpine Village, Diamond Valley Road and Hung-a-lel-ti are now under mandatory evacuations. "The Mesa" is under a voluntary evacuation but conditions are changing fast. Please stay out of these areas to allow emergency personnel to do their jobs.
We will update this page as information becomes available.

Follow the official County Tamarack Fire Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/Tamarack-Fire-111204851241728

I know I'd hate to be the guy (probably some kind of committee) who has to allocate scarce resources. Hard to send equipment to a fire thats not doing much when you have structures burning elsewhere, new fires popping up, and basically the entire West coast on fire.

Ted said:
. But I suggest every person that is second guessing them step up and replace that person and be responsible for making the first call from now on.
Well said Ted.
We owe a great amount of respect ,support and appreciation to the women/men who put their lives on then line to protect us.
Thanks to all first responders.
Frank

Tamarack Fire Wildfire
Announcements – 58 min. ago COUNTY OF ALPINEOfficial StatementDATE: July 19, 2021RE: Updated Evacuation Order
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: ALPINE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE ORDERS THE MANDATORY EVACUATION OF BLUE LAKES ROAD
The Alpine County Sheriff’s Office has ordered the mandatory evacuation of Blue Lakes Road effective 11:30 AM on July 19, 2021. They are asking all residents and visitors to safely leave the area.

Back
Top Bottom